Sheriff Wants Marijuana Citation Dismissed

Truth Seeker

The Sheriff tells the 9Wants to Know investigators that he has asked the district attorney to dismiss a citation after deputies busted a man for having a small amount marijuana, something legal under state law.

"That's great news," Mark Lucero said Tuesday evening after 9NEWS told him what Sheriff Doug Darr said.

Lucero was walking home from work June 5 at 12:37 a.m. when deputies pulled up and asked to talk to him.

"The officer [asked] if he could pat me down and search me. I told him, 'No.' I wasn't doing anything wrong. I asked him why he stopped me and he said my clothes were too dark; I looked a little suspicious," Lucero said.

Lucero said the deputy asked if he had any drugs on him, and Lucero told him that he had a small bag of marijuana.

"Throughout the time he kept on asking me, 'Where is the pipe? What do you smoke this with,' Lucero said.

He told 9NEWS he tried to tell the deputy that his amount was far under the state's new limit.

Amendment 64 allows adults over 21 years old to possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

"He had it in his mind that it's not legal and that's when he said, 'On a state level, it might be legal, but on a federal level, it's not legal,'" Lucero said.

Lucero was given a citation that requires him to appear in court. If convicted, he could be fined $100.

He said, since the incident, he has called the sheriff's office several times but hasn't received answers.

Darr said he believes the ticket will eventually be dismissed.

"We have an obligation to be in compliance with Colorado law," Darr said. "When we make a mistake, we stand up. We own it, and do our best to fix it."

Darr said he will speak with the deputy in the coming days and make sure he understands state law. Darr says the deputy who cited Lucero is a good deputy.

"These are good guys who made a mistake," Darr said.

Handcuffs1.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: 9news.com
Author: Jace Larson
Contact: 9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Contact Us
Website: Sheriff wants marijuana citation dismissed | 9news.com

Back
Top Bottom