Shielding from smell

sneakybumgrab

Greetings, im happily getting into my first grow and before i even have my clones i have come across some issues, or questions for the experienced on here. first thing first.. SMELL. yes. the dreaded smell. now, i live with my friend and she smokes but we both agree on the fact that we dont want a smelly house; even though we love the smell.. its not for everyone.
so here we go... my house has the typical "michigan basement" (or unfinished) so the floors are pretty thin on the first floor. I decided (since im poor) to nail clean cardboard to the ceiling to act as much like a real ceiling can and took wooden pallets and essentially made walls and nailed cardboard to those too. I have a ground level window for ventilation and a pretty high cfm fan and carbon filter. the room is 12.5'X13'X7'high and im dividing it into a 6'X7' veg/flower/cure area with ceiling to floor 5.5mil.
also in my attempt to CSI the crap out of this, im lining the room with 3 layers of 3 mil painters plastic and one layer of 5.5 mil white reflective plastic. im going for "air tight" (with ventilation).

should i be concerned about the smell of 6 plants?

Thanks!

also my max lamp height is 7 feet, would you say 4.5-5 foot plants are safe from the heat of a 1000w bulb?

Greetings, im happily getting into my first grow and before i even have my clones i have come across some issues, or questions for the experienced on here. first thing first.. SMELL. yes. the dreaded smell. now, i live with my friend and she smokes but we both agree on the fact that we dont want a smelly house; even though we love the smell.. its not for everyone.
so here we go... my house has the typical "michigan basement" (or unfinished) so the floors are pretty thin on the first floor. I decided (since im poor) to nail clean cardboard to the ceiling to act as much like a real ceiling can and took wooden pallets and essentially made walls and nailed cardboard to those too. I have a ground level window for ventilation and a pretty high cfm fan and carbon filter. the room is 12.5'X13'X7'high and im dividing it into a 6'X7' veg/flower/cure area with ceiling to floor 5.5mil.
also in my attempt to CSI the crap out of this, im lining the room with 3 layers of 3 mil painters plastic and one layer of 5.5 mil white reflective plastic. im going for "air tight" (with ventilation).

should i be concerned about the smell of 6 plants?

Thanks!

also my max lamp height is 7 feet, would you say 4.5-5 foot plants are safe from the heat of a 1000w bulb?

Hello fellow Michigan person. Southwest Mich here. Same deal here too. Michigan Basement, thin floors. I was able to build a helluva grow room though. If you want to check it out just click on my current auto grow in my signature below.

As to your question.
Maybe, it depends on a few things. Strains you grow plays a big part. AK47 will smell through a 6 inch thick lead wall lol.
Choose strains carefully and if your going to grow you must build some type of ventilation system. That being said, if you can manage a decent blower like the one mounted in the grow in my signature you can try to keep a negative pressure in your grow room by exhausting it outside. That way air in the neg pressure is always drawn to the blower and pushed outside.

I run 2 passive 4 inch air intake vents into my room and with my 6 inch blower running the air sucks in through the intake vents so hard that my grow room door will fully shut all on it's own. Doe that explain it good enough? Basically te smell from my grow room never has a chance to go anywhere except outside via the blower.

Honestly, it sounds like you set your place up excellently to deal with smells, but if you do end up noticing the smell in your house then you can place Ona Gel products around your house to completely get rid of the smell. As long as you don't place any in the actual grow room, which can cause a change in the taste of the buds, you should have no problem growing the stinkiest of plants. Hope this helps, and good luck on the grow!

I run 2 passive 4 inch air intake vents into my room and with my 6 inch blower running the air sucks in through the intake vents so hard that my grow room door will fully shut all on it's own. Doe that explain it good enough? Basically te smell from my grow room never has a chance to go anywhere except outside via the blower.

yeah thats the type ill have exhausting through the ground level window. ~400 cfm 6 inch. 5 feet duct. 6x24 carbon scrubber exhaust.

i haven't set my sights on any specific strain yet but this is why i am my fathers-child. "always be prepared for the worst" so in the event(when) im feeling a bit advantageous and i most likely GO with a classic, super-strain like ak47; theres no bullet holes in the walls for the smells. it s just one "dexter" room.

thoughts?

those look great btw. southeast here.
s-s-s-s-s-s-southeastssssssiders

Back
Top Bottom