Should Cannabis Be Treated As Medicine? S.C. Senator Says It's Time FDA Decides

Ron Strider

Does cannabis, or marijuana, have medical benefits? It's a question people have been asking for years and now South Carolina Senator Greg Hembree says it's time we find out.

Hembree has drafted a bill asking Congress to make the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) do the research to answer that question.

"I think, personally, I think that marijuana and cannabis have legitimate medical uses, but you need the science to support that and you need the science to make sure that's safe and I fear that approach we are taking now is dangerous," Hembree said.

Hembree said this isn't about the debate over the legalization of recreational marijuana--this is strictly about the medical value.

"So, this idea is to get the FDA to once and for all make a decision. They've been testing it for years--give them the freedom to do whatever testing they need to do to complete that test and make a judgment about that and then regulate it nationally, as we do any other medicine whether it be antibiotics, cancer drugs, opioids. We need to have that uniform regulation because this state to state regulation is not a good model," he said.

If the FDA were to determine cannabis is a safe and effective drug, Hembree said it should be treated like any other drug.

"If its found to be medically effective, a patient would go to their doctor, a doctor would give them a prescription just like they do for any other medical condition they might have, they go to a Walgreens or a CVS or other drug store, present it to the druggist, they get their medicine," he said.

Cannabis as a whole is illegal in South Carolina, but certain aspects like CBD oil and hemp are not. Those are some of the things that you can find at Coastal Green Wellness in The Market Common.

The founder, David Spang, said he's happy to hear about this bill.

He said he believes in the medical benefits of cannabis and thinks it would be very positive to have it legalized.

"They [people] are going to decrease their prescription intake and their quality of life is going to go up because of that," he said.

Hembree also thinks this could help with another fight; the opioid epidemic.

"I believe the importance of that is even greater with the opioid epidemic. I really believe there are going to be instances where cannabis could be prescribed to manage pain instead of opioids and the addictive properties are not as severe or as dangerous as opioids. So if we can move to that place I think that would help us in another fight," he said.

Medical_Cannabis_-_CBD_420.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Should cannabis be treated as medicine? SC Senator says it's time FDA decides | WPDE
Author: Sydney Glenn
Contact: Myrtle Beach/Florence Contact | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WPDE
Photo Credit: CBD 420
Website: Myrtle Beach/Florence News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WPDE

Back
Top Bottom