Should I be stressing about smell?

pottarts

Hi so I dont no anything about the intensity of smell during budding. (closet setup) The plants are only one week into the budding stage and I don't how much they are going to smell in the future. I dont have any sort of odor preventing stuff in my setup. How much are 7 budding plants going to smell? Are they going to smell outside my apartment or just room or what? Is it worth it to purchase one of the ona gel containers or should I invest in a carbon filter or something else?

Grow closet: 5' 1/2" tall X 2' 1/2'' X 3 1/2"
400 watt hps
house fans blowing from in and out from on top of the setup
"panda paper" with a zipper

the smell is only going to get stronger as the plants develop...id say in an apartment im suprised you havent already had complaints, i have no exp with gel containers but the carbon filter will pretty much elimnate any chance of anyone smelling it, definately in your case a very wise investment

you may smell it a lil bit in your apt but no one else will detect it with a crabon filter

you must post pics...7 plants in that small of a space...sounds like its crowded...are they autos?

you may have "runts" or smaller plants suffering from other plants blocking the light with their leaves

Different strains do smell different amounts in my experience. You can often look up the strain online to get an idea of how smelly they will be as they bud. The problem with gel or carbon filters is that they need to be replaced eventually (assuming you plan to keep growing). An alternative (although it still needs to be replaced regularly) is to use aromatherapy oils (available from pharmacists). A small dish of oil in your grow area will gradually evaporate and the cypress will neutralize the budding smell and leave a fresh clean kind of smell - like you'd just cleaned up with some cleaning product.

^^^NOT VERY LIKELY

Carbon filter is the way to go that way you it eliminates the smell completely insteead of covering it up

Cypress oil isn't a perfume. I'm not saying carbon filters don't work, they do. I'm sure they are probably the best option. But my suggestion is cheaper in the long term and not only nutrilizes the smell (which the carbon filters do) but also odourizes the space, and room, and apartment, etc. Go with filters if they suit you best, I was just offering an alternative.

How much are 7 budding plants going to smell? Are they going to smell outside my apartment or just room or what?

It will stink like a skunk farm is in your building, and especially strong to the noses of non-pot smokers. Get a carbon filter for the grow...and some ona for the rest of the apt.

Hey everyone I appreciate all the suggestions very much. I think the best approach for me is to play it safe and just buy a carbon filter to completely ease my worries.
I have never used the kind of fan used for a carbon filter. I currently keep the zipper open since I got the 400 hps wing because the temperature gets to high with it closed. I know that if I cant close the zipper, the carbon filter is pointless. I plan to buy the good fans that don't get weak with a carbon filter on it. Does anyone know if I will be able to close the zipper after installing the new system? Will the new fans do the trick?

Thanks!

Mine are tiny and in veg and they smell. I installed a carbon filter (I live in an apt as well). It works wonders. The fan is on the lowest setting and it sucks the smell, and humidity right out. As far as Ona gel goes, I havent tried it yet but I may have to as things progress. Let us know how it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom