420 Magazine Background

Should I start my grow from clones or seeds?

Canadianclstgrower

While I agree the convenience on clones always haveing general genetic “trademark” and being always female is a plus but it is also what creates stagenet gene pools and over population of a strein I love starting from a fresh batch of seeds mostly from breeders I know personally who are always coming up with new crosses and flavours to try out, find a gene you like be it an OG cross or a skunk and play around in that gene pool maybe cross some of your own that’s the beauty of this plan is the diversity

Hi Guy :ciao:, I have heard that you can freeze the seeds for future use, but I only acquire enough seeds for 2 grows at a time. I have learned from experience to always have some "extra seeds" just in case some do not germinate. :)
Was given 12 seeds 4 years ago, threw them in my fig and kind of forgot about them until recently.
Pulled out 2 about a months and the seedlings are looking good.

joshua5050

F2, F3, etc. don't come from cloning, they come from breeding. They are successive generations of the parent stock, not copies.
exactly, clones are exact copies, even though the final characteristics may become different as a function of different growing environments between the mama bear and the new clone.....

joshua5050

While I agree the convenience on clones always haveing general genetic “trademark” and being always female is a plus but it is also what creates stagenet gene pools and over population of a strein I love starting from a fresh batch of seeds mostly from breeders I know personally who are always coming up with new crosses and flavours to try out, find a gene you like be it an OG cross or a skunk and play around in that gene pool maybe cross some of your own that’s the beauty of this plan is the diversity
i don't believe that you can 'over-populate' a plant strain, it isn't as if they are pets that have been over-bred; there will still be enough evolutionary differences for each new plant in the end...or Nature would not let it survive, at least not for long....

Canadianclstgrower

When I say stagnant and over populated I don’t mean the genes become weak nessisarily just that they become bland and everyone ends up with more or less the same results but when new crosses are broght up from seed it can be something compeltely new and exciting
You can cross 2 different Phenos of 2 Egactly strains and get something comepetly different than the same genes chosen from different phenos

joshua5050

When I say stagnant and over populated I don’t mean the genes become weak nessisarily just that they become bland and everyone ends up with more or less the same results but when new crosses are broght up from seed it can be something compeltely new and exciting
ahhhhh, ok..... clones eliminate genetic drift however, but i get your point: diversity is a good thing...

Top Bottom