Should I use a screen with my glass?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
To screen, or not to screen... In a word: no. Most people who use glass pipes these days have chosen to forgo the whole screen rigmarole. Although I have heard rumors that screens have a toxic coating you should burn off, I haven't validated that. For myself, I just find them too much of a hassle to mess with as they get clogged so easily. I use to not be able to stand 'sucking crap' down, burning bits in the back of my throat and all that, but, I have since become adept at avoiding this by learning when to suck hard, and when not to. Also if I do eat a bit of ash occasionally, I just swallow it. I discovered that the distastefulness of this was largely psychological for me, and I've even found that partially burned material doesn't taste that bad after all. On the other hand, I hate trying to hit a bowl through anything clogged, especially when you have to pull out most or all of the bowl just to get enough air flow for decent combustion, and nothing is more aggravating than trying to dig an air passageway through a bowl with a poker, and, not being successful, having to pull most or all of the bowl out just to clean the screen (and of course by the time you get the bowl loaded back up, you've somehow lost half of it). Others will swear by screens, and seem to require them with the same intensity that I require food and water. Screens may be best used if you only have shake to smoke. But to each their own...

Agreed. The only screen one should use in a glass pipe (if any) is a glass screen or glass "gauze" as they are referred to in Europe.

usually what i do is stick a really compact nug in the bottom of the bowl, and then top it off with shake, so that way the nug keeps all the shake from just falling through. After that, sprinkle some hash on top, and voila, enjoy an herb salad.

are glass screens worth it??

In short, if you are prone to losing things, NO. I cannot count the many I have thrown away with the ash.

If you never clean your pipe, NO. Glass screens (or any screen) becomes very resinated and useless after prolonged use. Cleaning them...well... it's difficult and it sucks! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Where they do work best is for bubblers and waterpipes with large draw holes. This prevents water from jumping up into the bowl and allows you to pack smaller bowls of the really good stuff in waterpipes with large draw holes without pulling through.:Rasta:

there are glass screens that look like jumping jacks... i have found those to be the best over all! just stick it in the bottom of the bowl and pack ur budz on top...im a bubbler kind of guy:bongrip: so i have found these as a necesity! u can get about 10 of them for 3 bucks at a headshop... i bought 10 of them march 07 and i have 8 left...the only reason i am missing 2 of them is because i gave some away...if you need to clean them just let them soak in rubbing alcohol and they look like brand new!:cheesygrinsmiley:

hope this is informative for you!:grinjoint:

10 for 3$ is a great deal. A local headshop wants something like 5$ for only 2. :thedoubletake:
If they were cheaper I would probably use them more often. Still can't manage to keep track of them for very long though. I have used many shapes and the "jack" kind is the most universal. Soaking them in alcohol is my preffered method of cleaning, however I find I need to use a cotton swab to really get them clean and thats where it becomes a pain in my a**.:grinjoint:

Yeah bro, it's Febuary 7th not March. :loopy:

And I haven't used a glass screen in quite some time. Just relating my experiences with them.

yeah u can use salt and rubbing alch. its pretty effective...u can just use your fingers...it cleans all of the rez off of ur fingers also lol...

10 for 3$ is a great deal. A local headshop wants something like 5$ for only 2. :thedoubletake:
If they were cheaper I would probably use them more often. Still can't manage to keep track of them for very long though. I have used many shapes and the "jack" kind is the most universal. Soaking them in alcohol is my preffered method of cleaning, however I find I need to use a cotton swab to really get them clean and thats where it becomes a pain in my a**.:grinjoint:

haha I can't believe that coming from the guy with 100 roors :grinjoint:

I wish I had 100 RooRs, although it's more like 2. :cheesygrinsmiley:

baught some glass screens today.. four of them actually and I tried them out but it more seems like its making the slide more plugged than anything... am I doing something wrong??

Take a look at how you're packing your herb. Just drop it in and then tap it lightly with your fingertip. Don't overload and compress it. Also, each time you re-pack, scrape the excess resin off your screen. This may help.

:bongrip: Peace

usually what i do is stick a really compact nug in the bottom of the bowl, and then top it off with shake, so that way the nug keeps all the shake from just falling through. After that, sprinkle some hash on top, and voila, enjoy an herb salad.

That's what I usually do, but that's because I'm broke.
If I could scrap up the extra cash I'de get some of these nice glass screens everyone's talking about.
Fuck bills!

When I finally broke down and bought a decent piece, I noticed sucking crap in slowed way down. Also even If I suck some thru my piece seems to trap it pretty good. I have a poker handy when I smoke and slide it down thru and clear the hole. Seems to work for me.

The cheaper pieces (20-40) headshop specials seemed to be really bad about leaving a tongue full.

I just drop it in, tap the side of the pipe and hit away. Tried the screens, to much added cleaning for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom