Should I water plants before 48 hrs darkness before harvest?

jokerlola

I about to harvest my outdoor Harlequin plants and I'm going to put them into 48 hours of darkness tonight before chop and hang. The soil in all of them is dry, should I give them any water today prior to the darkness of just leave them dry?

Say what?

OK the bro-science in this thread is overwhelming.

Water the plant up to harvest - leave the lights on like usual and dont stick a freaking screw in the stalk. wtf is that?

Where do you guys get this stuff??

There's a science called horticulture. Good reading.

Say what?

OK the bro-science in this thread is overwhelming.

Water the plant up to harvest - leave the lights on like usual and dont stick a freaking screw in the stalk. wtf is that?

Where do you guys get this stuff??

There's a science called horticulture. Good reading.

You've never heard of stem splitting? Maybe you should do some research

You've never heard of stem splitting? Maybe you should do some research

Lol - yeah sure. OK show me the science that damaging plants actually does anything but damage the plants. Thats common sense right there. Has nothing to do with dank nugs 420% on that unless you can PROVE IT WITH SCIENCE.

I actually researched sticking screws and nails in stalks and couldn’t find any research on it at all. Like Bob said keep your plant healthy right up until the day you chop.

I would indeed give them some water 48 hours before harvest.
Especially if you have them in total darkness.
Hit them with icewater
You don't even need nutes in it at this point.
At this point it's all about letting them know that Mother Nature is about to lay a licking on them

I would indeed give them some water 48 hours before harvest.
Especially if you have them in total darkness.
Hit them with icewater
You don't even need nutes in it at this point.
At this point it's all about letting them know that Mother Nature is about to lay a licking on them
If you give enough ice water you can harvest bubble hash instead of nugs. :D:D:D:D.

Sorry, had to. :)

The idea behind the stressors is that, as @Stunned said, it tells the plant to hurry up and finish... the end is near. Official scientific studies may not have been done yet, but I have repeatedly done this experiment over the last 5 or 6 years, as have others, and every time, I have seen a significant increase in the length and width of the trichomes as compared to a plant that did not get the treatment. These studies are documented in several of my grow journals on this site. If forming a hypothesis, doing a controlled side by side experiment, and documenting the results through microscope picture studies is not science, I don't know what is.

Also, logic prevails in this discussion, since we know that our bright lights degrade the trichomes. Since we are putting the plants into darkness for 36 hours, that is at least a 12 hour daytime that was not experienced. That is 12 hours where the trichomes did not degrade because of the light, but yet they were still allowed to grow and ripen for that entire 36 hours, in the dark. If you chop at the end of this, your buds never get that degrading bright light for that entire day and a half, and that change is enough to see a difference big enough that it can be seen with the naked eye.

I know that all of these techniques work, icewater, screws, drought, splitting the stem, reducing the room temperature and the power of the lights and even the amount of daylight they get all that last week. If you haven't tried a side by side and seen this effect for yourself, you are missing out. Not everything what we know about these plants is yet written in scientific journals, because in most of the world, growing this stuff is still illegal. Give us time, and all of this will be common knowledge as official research catches up with the practical world.

Not everything what we know about these plants is yet written in scientific journals, because in most of the world, growing this stuff is still illegal. Give us time, and all of this will be common knowledge as official research catches up with the practical world.

So this is where the horticulture meets the cannabis plant??

It somehow grows sooo much differently than any other plant that is legal to grow and yet for some reason these techniques are only used on cannabis??

Yer making stuff up. It aint gonna be science cause its not scientific. Where do you folks come up with this stuff?? Serious question.

Anecdotal evidence at best.

The bro is strong with you.
Make stuff up you do.

Ok. So I didn’t bring my plants inside yet because I had some work to do on my drying space but I will most likely bring them in tomorrow night after sundown. (These are my Harlequin plants only). The biggest one and the smaller ones all still have moisture in their soils but the medium one in the smart pot is near completely dried out and I’m noticing some leaf droop. Should I still not water the smart pot one if I bring her inside for 48 hours of dark before chop our should I give her a last light watering to get her through the next 72 hours before chop? And is the 48 hours of darkness even worth doing and should I just chop her tomorrow night once I bring her in?

Water your plants harvest when they are ready or weather tells you they need to come down.

Dont over think. You dont bring in your tomato plants and give them 48 hrs of dark before you harvest them right? Me either.....

Water your plants harvest when they are ready or weather tells you they need to come down.

Dont over think. You dont bring in your tomato plants and give them 48 hrs of dark before you harvest them right? Me either.....

So what about sunlight up to harvest? For these Harlequin plants that I'm harvesting tomorrow and my 4 other plants that I am going to probably be harvesting later this week, I have been having to move them around to get a day's full of sun because where I had them initially is in full shade now so I have to move them to one spot to get direct sunlight until around 1 pm and then move them to another spot for direct sunlight until around 5:30 pm. Is getting a full day of direct sunlight that crucial in these final days of the plants or am I just making unnecessary work for myself?

It somehow grows sooo much differently than any other plant that is legal to grow and yet for some reason these techniques are only used on cannabis??
There are only a few plants that grow glandular trichomes... so yes, they are different than other plants, radically different. Someday, everyone will understand this and the grow techniques that we are now on the leading edge of evolving on these forums to accentuate and protect that growth, will be commonplace. :peace: :love:

There are only a few plants that grow glandular trichomes... so yes, they are different than other plants, radically different. Someday, everyone will understand this and the grow techniques that we are now on the leading edge of evolving on these forums to accentuate and protect that growth, will be commonplace. :peace: :love:

Emilya, did you see my question about sunlight in the last days up to harvest? Do you have an opinion? Thanks

Emilya, did you see my question about sunlight in the last days up to harvest? Do you have an opinion? Thanks
I think it sounds like a lot of work, but it probably is gaining you some growth. The problem is that you will never know what the difference would have been if you hadn't been doing that, so it comes down to if you feel is is making a difference and you feel good doing it, then continue. If it seems to be too much work, it probably is, and the plants will still finish out just fine.

I didn't do it last year but my whole grow was different last year. Last year I grew only 3 plants and used Sohum Living Soil with no additional nutes. This year I had more clones (6) but reused the Sohum soil and some other soil from 2 years ago that I added liquid nutes to. So it's hard to tell if there is a difference.

It's not a huge amount of extra work but since I've been home this year, I'm able to do it and it has been kind of a pain in the ass but I've only had to do it for the last 2 weeks since the sun's position changed. And since they should all be harvested by the end of the week, It won't be that big of a deal to keep doing it for a few more days. But It probably won't be worth doing for future grows.

So you feel the 48 hours of darkness is worth doing? And the plant in the smart pot that is dry and drooping, in need of water, I shouldn't bother watering it since I'm either chopping tomorrow or after 48 hours of dark?

Back
Top Bottom