Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 80% fox farms 20% perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gal
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 600w cfl (4x150 actual wattage)
Is it Air Cooled? no
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 70-83
RH of Room/Cabinet? 40%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.3
Any Pests? had thripes got rid of them about 2 weeks ago
How Often are you Watering? 1-2 times as needed plus 1 feeding
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? fox farms full nute line
Size or Square Footage of Room? 8x5

My leaves are dying from the bottom of the plant up. I thought it was not enough lighting when it was only a few leaves and only the lower ones but I noticed their starting to turn a different color and alot of the leaves are dying now further up the plant. I bought a 600 HPS with a raptor 8" hood today to try and fix the light problem but am starting to think it's a bigger problem than just light. Please help!!!
DSCI0413.JPG

DSCI0414.JPG

DSCI0415.JPG

DSCI0416.JPG

DSCI0417.JPG

DSCI0418.JPG

Looks like too many nutes.

Also you have helluva lotta leaves.

Consider trimming a lot of the little shoots that come between the main stalk and the fan leaves to think it out, and get rid of all of the dead and dying leaves.

Then use plain PH'd water til it clears up.

Yep. Like they said... Dense foliage and not a strong enough light source to penetrate the outer sections. The plant is basically killing off leaves that are not serving it any purpose.

As Captain said... Thin it out, cut out all the dead stuff and see about adding some side fill lights.

Hey man, after thinking on it, i believe that it is a combination of a little bit of over nutin and the the plants are too root bound, if you go get 5 gallon buckets and give the plants some more root space you should see some improvement.

Also for the most part it looks like only center of your plants is having the problem really (The parts that are not seeing enough light) for future reference and it shouldn't be too late to do this, always clear the bottom branches and inside branches out of the plant that will NEVER make the canopy. I call the little stuff on the bottom of the plant booger buds, and in my house we dont like booger buds so i make the plant focus its energy just to the tops of the plant for the most part.

Also if your not give the plant a period to dry out, you DO NOT want your root ball to rot. you would know if this happened by examining the root mass it would smell terrible like rotten waste.

Hope this helps my friend :D

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Captain you haven't been wrong yet and I appreciate it. :adore: N.W. Green, I can't tell you how nice it is to see someone offer the experience you have without someone having to ask for it. Your either the nicest guy in the world or one of the millions of Americans out of work, and you have nothing better to do than make the world an AWESOME place. Either way I appreciate it. This is for you. :roorrip:

Hey man, after thinking on it, i believe that it is a combination of a little bit of over nutin and the the plants are too root bound, if you go get 5 gallon buckets and give the plants some more root space you should see some improvement.

Also for the most part it looks like only center of your plants is having the problem really (The parts that are not seeing enough light) for future reference and it shouldn't be too late to do this, always clear the bottom branches and inside branches out of the plant that will NEVER make the canopy. I call the little stuff on the bottom of the plant booger buds, and in my house we dont like booger buds so i make the plant focus its energy just to the tops of the plant for the most part.

Also if your not give the plant a period to dry out, you DO NOT want your root ball to rot. you would know if this happened by examining the root mass it would smell terrible like rotten waste.

Hope this helps my friend :D
Ok an update with another question.
Got the girls under the new light about a week ago. I am not having near as much bottom leaf death that was being experienced earlier. I cleaned them up with alot of pruning. They were looking alot better. I haven't fed them at all lately only PH'd water and molasses. Now some of the larger fan leaves are turning color. Is it just hangover from last weeks problem of over nuting and should start to work its self? Or is this a whole new problem?
DSCI0421.JPG

DSCI0423.JPG

DSCI0422.JPG

that looks like a nitrogen def., which, for lower leaves is normal during the flowering stage i believe...i would probably give her some thrive-alive b1 or something to perk her up a little--good luck!

Wouldn't hurt and you may be right ledtron... it also could be residual effects from the original problem/problems.

Seems quite a bit of the yellowing is on the inside and may be previous damage rather than a new issue. I would watch it well and if other (healthy green leaves) start to turn in fashion w/a N deficiency, then move on it!

What I am saying is, take it slow and let her adjust rather than doing any big changes.

ledtron... no dis meant towards you by what my opinion is... that's all it is.
I have seen the same thing before after dealing w/the same issue as this plant exhibits... other than a couple of older leaves the plant is looking swell. Otherwise I would agree w/the N def.

Hell... I can't believe that is the same plant... looks 100% better!

that looks like a nitrogen def., which, for lower leaves is normal during the flowering stage i believe...i would probably give her some thrive-alive b1 or something to perk her up a little--good luck!

I'll be more direct and suggest taking care about giving out poor advice. If this is bad etiquette on my part, I apologise.

You'll get nitrogen def towards the end of the grow as the plant start pulling it all in from the leaves (assuming you stopped nutes and went to water... some even if you carry on), but not ten days into flower (unless you've not been feeding it or possibly have screwy PH, heat or humidity)

Also look how dark green the healthy leaves are? Well fertilized.

I am something of an expert of over use of nutes *coughs*

Not flaming or dissing either, but feel it should be said.

I don't give advice usually, unless I have experienced it myself and at least think I know conclusively. I couldn't have it on my conscience to have damaged someone elses garden.

Anyway... agree with Cap, looking much finer! :bravo:

Ok an update with another question.
Got the girls under the new light about a week ago. I am not having near as much bottom leaf death that was being experienced earlier. I cleaned them up with alot of pruning. They were looking alot better. I haven't fed them at all lately only PH'd water and molasses. Now some of the larger fan leaves are turning color. Is it just hangover from last weeks problem of over nuting and should start to work its self? Or is this a whole new problem?

Sorry mate, totally missed answering you.

Hangover, I would suggest.

The leaves look nice and green, the ones that are yellowing have the typical signs of nute burn.

Just stick with thePH'd water and will all be fine.

When all leaves start to get less dark you know you're back on track and can start light feeds at maybe 1/2 to 1/3 strength.

See how she reacts to the nutes and don't get carried away.

Good stuff though, looking sooo much better.

hey did you ever give it a flush before flowering? When you water do you get any running out the bottom? Nutes can build up and do damage. ..not saying thatss it but imo it never hurts to flush and or repot into a larger bucket with something ph nuetral like promix or humbolt mix, then feed at 1/4th strength nutes..

hey did you ever give it a flush before flowering? When you water do you get any running out the bottom? Nutes can build up and do damage. ..not saying thatss it but imo it never hurts to flush and or repot into a larger bucket with something ph nuetral like promix or humbolt mix, then feed at 1/4th strength nutes..
I flushed about a week and a half before that post. I put about 9 gallons through each one and am now on day 20 of flower. I think I burned them pretty bad with the last feeding. Ever have any issues with the Fox Farms line of nutes being pretty strong with the recommended feeding schedule on this site? I'm thinking of only continuing at half strength until harvest unless the ladies tell me otherwise. How do you know if it's safe to go to full strength? It's my first grow and everything seems to be going ok, but these plants seem pretty temperamental. The FF nutes seem to be pretty acidic, they are constantly bringing my PH down to around 5.7-5.8. I've added dolomite lime and brought it back up to about 6.4, but last feeding the runoff was back down to 5.8. I try to bring my PH in my feedings to about 7-7.2 thinking that would let the FF nutes bring it back down to 6.5 or so but am having major fluctuations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Constant adjustment has been a royal pain in the ass.

I never use full syrength I probably have never gone past fifty.percet.you should ph up and down . That way you can u make it seven.everytime..that way the ph will never get out of wak

Its super cheap to get the powders..i am real lucky..ive found out over the past few years that my tap water is perfect so long as I let it sit...a good thing I always do and itll help you too...grab a five gal. Fill it with water and grab a test strip see what the ph is. Then add however many mls of nutes, then test it and see the dif...then adjust it to 6.5 to 7... Use the five gallons to water the plants..anotherthing thats good for em is watering enough to wet the soil..wait a minute then water enough that some comes out the bottom..it pretty.much guarantees your removong and stopping build up..i bought some shit called clearex, it works so well im able to flush using five or six gallons of water and it gets everything out..all your left with is a five gallon rootball that you decide what it gets..clearex works so well that within three days the llant will show massive nitrogen defficiancy, so its not a bad ideato use like 1/4 nute solution for the last gallon..it may nust be coincidence but the plants I do this to are far better quality.than the ones left to do there own thing bbbecause I got lazy or just didnt have time.

Keeping notes is a really good thing...i usualy flush at thirty days then flower strain dependent cuz some are like three feet by day thirty veg..With notes I was able to look back and which ones were fucked up and why....every time I do this I end up with a plant that gets stunted. And at the end im able to see what helped and what didnt for the next time..its allways lazyness..and NOT flushing IMO totaly screws up the end product..the herb burns better and tastes better...by the way the stuff im using right now is pura vida organics..grow and bloom...i used to use fox farm. And it worked great but then I wanted to go organic..someone told me some shit about chemical plant food and it sounded good at the time so I switched. Ive been using this stuff ever since. And ive noticed its really really really hard to over feed with this stuff...still the bottle says like 8ml per gallon I use half..when I put the plnt into the five gallon im using promix, like ten cups of wormcastings, perlite to help drain, and bat guano 10-2-1...its pretty cool they blow up..they get big fast. So I guess since im already putting stuff in the soil, I dont really need to use full strength nutes....oh a powder to add microbes to the soil is not a must but its a great addition...i just smoked a fatty of some KILLER SOUR D...goingto bed..peace out bro.

great info kdog I'll try it. I did a flush before going to 12/12. I burned them pretty bad last feeding because i went full strength. Should i flush again or just water with ph'd water for a bit before i feed again at half strength this time?

Hit em with plain phd water.for like two waterings, then start back at half sgrength..make sure a little water is comi.g out the bottom so ya know the other stuffs gone..i always figured its easier to add something if the plant needs it rather than have to take em all out...these things are tough plants..i water mine once aweek, im full of shit its more like five days..bone dry and they dont stress..i also grew some regular veggies and I fuck with those and experament so I can get a feel for what does what..example using way more bat shit castings and liquid food on my tomatoe plant than I would ever dream of trying with one of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom