Sick plant, please help.

Digit

Hi there. Long time lurker first time poster.
Hoping someone can give me some advice to fix my poor plant.
Grown from a cutting, is about 5 weeks in veg under LED.
Medium is coco using nutrifield nutes.
Ph is just under 7.
From what I have read on the forum I am thinking it is either nute burn or heat damage.
Had a few very hot days where temps in the room hit 104F (yeah I know, not much I could do about it unfortunately)
Temp is normally no higher than 86F
Temps have dropped however the plant doesn't look to have improved much.

Cheers

Hey Digit! Sorry no one got around to try and take a stab at wats goin on w/ur leaves. Honestly, i've never had any of my plants look like that but i was looking at this:
Plant Abuse Chart

Now it looks to me that its a Potassium/possibly Zinc problem. What strength are you feeding your plants? What's the N-P-K values? Your PH is also way high for coco. Try to keep it on or around 6. Ppl go low as 5.4 and as high as 6.2/6.3. Dude word on my big toe, I was just reading about coco yesterday, and I kno that with coco there's a weird exchange thing with K & Cal/Mag. I'm currently tryna google for it, but I dont remember what page I saw it on. As soon as I find it, ill either just edit this post and drop some info on it or post again.
But umm I'd first attack this issue by lowering your PH. Next are you watering til you get 10-20% runoff? It might sound like a waste, but this is very important with coco. If you're still havin any issues come back thru. Trust me there are a couple growers here that use coco(one dude is called cocojoe no lie), they probably just didnt get a chance to get on here yet. Don't worry tho, the other leaves looked ok. It doesnt seem to be too widespread.

Oh btw :welcome: to the boards man :blushsmile:

dro;)

Awesome! Thanks for the tips DroJo, I'll give it a go.

Took a look at the plant abuse chart but couldn't find one thing that matched so might be a few things combined...

Have grown in soil before but never coco so still lots to learn.

Cheers

Mites!
Ok, so here's my theory.
The extreme heat lead to slight nute burn and heat stress. Because of this I took the plant outside to flush it.
While outside it picked up mites.
Boo :(
So now treating with an oil/detergent mix on top of the rest.
Fingers crossed.

Kill those bastards!!!

thats a hard one, but taking coir into consideration you might want to try fortifying with a calcium/magnesium/iron supliment at 1/4 or half strength in your nutrient mix. Coco coir can often have issues with calcium/magnesium lockout. the heat would increase your plants nutrient uptake thus further depriving your plants of these essential micro nutrients. Just a thought, but I bet it will help. Also with coir you should be running a pH of 6-6.5 The back of your pH down or up should have a nutrient lockout chart that will help determin what nutrients lock out at what pH levels. If not you can find it on google i would think. let me know if this helps!

Hey Jasonlee, thanks for the advice.
Will definately have a google for the lockout charts.
What is a good product for lowering/raising PH in coco? I used some sulpher (only thing I could find at local) Seems to be doing it slowly...

Plant is doing MUCH better now. Will link some pics soon.
Have recently changed to 12/12 (about a week ago now). Was surprised by how much she shot up. Added another 1 - 2 inches!!! Not much bud action yet (I want it NOW!!!! lol).
Mites seem to have mostly been killed. YAY. Tho still getting a tiny amount of leaf damage here n there so still spraying even tho haven't actually seen one in a while.
Also still have some heat issues but, summer is over now so should be less and less of an issue.

Cheers

I call her Shaggy.
tall-and-slim.172607

tall-and-slim.172608

Thanks mate. Yeah, should be pretty nice alright :grinjoint:
Hopefully the LEDs will do a good job of it.

I have it under 3 120watt LED panels with custom light wavelengths.
Like everyone else i'm trying to find the LED sweet spot... :)

Will see how this one goes then make some changes for the next one and compare. Time consuming experiment (lucky its so enjoyable).

Will have to check out the HG Liquid Ph Down next time I'm at the hydro shop (is a bit out of the way so don't get there very often). Sounds easier than the Sulphur i've been using.

Will see how this one goes then make some changes for the next one and compare. Time consuming experiment (lucky its so enjoyable).

Will have to check out the HG Liquid Ph Down next time I'm at the hydro shop (is a bit out of the way so don't get there very often). Sounds easier than the Sulphur i've been using.

you can make ph down by using sulphiric acid (battery acid) make sure you get the concentrate from a car part place not stuuf that's cut already to go into a battery. and mix 5% acid into 95% distilled water. do not ever pour water into the acid 20litre bottle of acid is $25 last you a lifetime

most people like them when high wattages are utilized, and I KNOW that the LED will make fatter Trich's. Also energy costs, etc, But the price Kills a man.
...I think I'm gonna get one at a time, and use them as side lights. It'll be nice to smoke those when your done. '

Anyways, I'm looking forward to see how they turn out almost as much as you are. ...wait, maybe not that much. lol, ...but it'll be a good show!

Did I ramble

you can make ph down by using sulphiric acid (battery acid) make sure you get the concentrate from a car part place not stuuf that's cut already to go into a battery. and mix 5% acid into 95% distilled water. do not ever pour water into the acid 20litre bottle of acid is $25 last you a lifetime

Thnx for the tip ledtester, will have to check it out. Not sure if I can get any battery acid here (Australia the nanny state). Would vinigar or lemon juice work as an alternative do you think?

most people like them when high wattages are utilized, and I KNOW that the LED will make fatter Trich's. Also energy costs, etc, But the price Kills a man.
...I think I'm gonna get one at a time, and use them as side lights. It'll be nice to smoke those when your done. '

Anyways, I'm looking forward to see how they turn out almost as much as you are. ...wait, maybe not that much. lol, ...but it'll be a good show!

Did I ramble

I bought a few panels for my testing, unfortunately I had difficulty getting plants/seeds together in a timely fashion so have ended up with one lucky plant basking under the pink glow of 3 panels while I get the rest of the test together. Should be a decent result for one plant :Rasta:

(not too much of a ramble man, makes for an entertaining read anyway lol)

Thnx for the tip ledtester, will have to check it out. Not sure if I can get any battery acid here (Australia the nanny state). Would vinigar or lemon juice work as an alternative do you think?

I'm sure Ozzy Land has car parts store mate...you can use anything acidic like those two only you'll be squeezing lemons out your arse before it's effective.

I've ONLY used coco for my hydro.

I've used distilled vinegar to adjust ph since I started gardening as a little boy. I've never had a problem with it. Baking Soda will raise the PH, but I would not use it long term. I believe the plant treats it as salt, so after a while the buildup should lock out nutrients. Might be problems using vinegar long term as well, but both are great temporary fixes until you can get something better. (I've also used lemon in an emergency, run it through a coffee filter. =)

Also, my Hydroponics guy recommends 5.8 PH for Canna Coco. This may be different for different brands. Canna is a superior coco that has different properties than your average coco.

I do know that with coco, high PH is a BIG NO-NO. You can go much further down than you can up. So if you're unsure, go lower rather than higher. Hope this helps a little.

I'm sure Ozzy Land has car parts store mate...you can use anything acidic like those two only you'll be squeezing lemons out your arse before it's effective.

lol. Thats a lot of lemons.

Yeah have car parts stores but something like battery acid is a restricted substance. Maybe could get it if you were a mechanic... Maybe...
Public can't be trusted. Surprised we can still buy matches.

Back
Top Bottom