Sierra Cowboy 5 Variety Outdoor Container Grow 2020

Computers are not really my thing but I manage to stumble around and some how get to where I need to be. My 24 year old recent college Graduate makes these babies sing where as I make them sing...... like an intoxicated person singing karaoke.:laughtwo:

I have been looking at my plants and have an idea, I know that sounds a lot like "here hold my beer and watch this" but it isn't that . I noticed that my trimming was less than perfect resulting in a two tier bud site formation, not a lot are on the second tier but a few. I am thinking a double bud harvest is in my future, top these beauties when the time comes and mature the rest before a second round. Am I smoking too much of my own or does this sound feasible. I know that commercial growers do it I 've seen it on you tube so why not If anyone is still seeing my posts and has an opinion on this drop me a line and let me know.

Perfect timing ! as I type the splish splash of rain can be heard just outside. There has been a lot of smoke and ash in the air for about 7 days now in this area. The girls are speckled with ash and have been shaded with airborne particulates, I have been contemplating a bath day and what do you know the big guy looked down and said "now",

No worries about mold, our temps are 100 + and our humidity in the 20's so I am good there. The rain will wash the girls and the air (for the time being) unfortunately there was not enough rain to help our fire situation. The lighting that came with it may have made it worse , starting new fires. I am not in danger right now but up here in the mountains the smoke just wanders around and settles in every nook and cranny for 100's of miles in every direction.

Send positive waves of love and support to our fire fighters in the air and on the ground, these guys and girls are running 48-72 hour shifts right now to save our beautiful forests. Our government here in California and other entities are using our lands as pawns in their struggle to control / destroy the economy of the state.

Well it looks like the girls enjoyed the shower last night, all the ash is gone. I got up this morning and went out to see how my girls fared through the storm last night only to find them reaching for the sky. It was a pretty mild storm so I wasn't too worried, they looked so fresh I thought "photo shoot" so here you go some fresh eye candy. I have been concentrating on keeping them fat and happy, utilizing Emiya's watering technique. As stated earlier the sun has been filtered for at least the last week with smoke from the fires around us. I don't know how that is going to effect the grow, my light meter is still pegged so they are getting plenty of light and they are stacking quite nicely so no worries so far. Without further ado, my girls about 10 days- two weeks into flower.

Planting / Growing / Harvesting seems pretty straight forward, as a matter of fact one of our politicians recently stated " dig a hole, throw some seeds in, cover it with dirt and water it, how smart do you have to be" well let me tell you !

Says the person than never grew anything... specially cannabis. Yeah its easy .... wait, no its not.
Its work and farming. I'd love to see that politician say that shit around all my neighbor farmers. He'd be looking for a new job at best. Be lucky to get outta there unscathed.

I'm in for the rest of the season.

I'm on my first outdoor this year so learning as I go. Been growing indoors for years and still doing that.

GL with your grow @Sierra Cowboy, it takes a village.

I have several in the ground and 1 in a say 75 gal cement container. Most are 15 feet tall or close now. Flowering stated...yay!

Pulling up my lawn chair sitting in the back with the rest of the hooligans.

The ash is actually healthful for the plants. Think Pot-ash Its the "P" in NPK.

You mentioned composting. I've been a big advocate of using it in our gardens and promoting making it for the health of it all.

You should start looking into making your own soil mix with compost as your main ingredient. I use a mix called "Coots mix", there are many good ones out there. I'm on my 5 year in the same soil probably 25-30 runs indoors nothing but water last 3 years.

Instead of doing a compost tea. Take your compost from last year and top dress about 2 inches and water in on top of that. There's your compost tea. It will continue to give your plants benefit for the rest of your grow and then some. With compost teas I've learned that what we are doing making a tea is diluting the goodness. So top dress as a mulch with your year old compost. Look into leaf mold if you're near a forest. Its the best you can get and free. Can top dress and use your compost tea for the watering.

Not sure how long your growing season is there where you're at but I'm in upstate NY on a mountain side. So we could have winter anytime after mid-September. I wont do anything that will lengthen the time to harvest. Trimming training... indoors I do some but dont worry about it outside. I've been worrying more about weather and no rain or too much rain or snow or wind or fog... those are my challenges.

We will be going from 95F @ 80% humidity to 70F and 50F at night here in a day or so. So that will be foggy nights big time and with that weather comes PM. It's already here. If I get any harvest it will be a bonus.

Says the person than never grew anything... specially cannabis. Yeah its easy .... wait, no its not.
Its work and farming. I'd love to see that politician say that shit around all my neighbor farmers. He'd be looking for a new job at best. Be lucky to get outta there unscathed.

I'm in for the rest of the season.

I'm on my first outdoor this year so learning as I go. Been growing indoors for years and still doing that.

GL with your grow @Sierra Cowboy, it takes a village.

I have several in the ground and 1 in a say 75 gal cement container. Most are 15 feet tall or close now. Flowering stated...yay!

Pulling up my lawn chair sitting in the back with the rest of the hooligans.
I hear what your say'in the same guy would not fare well in my area either , we have enough real people here to rebuff that. Welcome to our second ever grow, last year we were spoon fed by this group and they managed to get us over the finish line despite ourselves, It was quite the adventure. This year we have a whole years experience under our belts so we are not making the same mistakes we are off on a whole different set, so get comfortable and prepare to laugh and shake your head in dis belief as I am sure we'll pull at least a few more bonehead maneuvers before it's over.

The ash is actually healthful for the plants. Think Pot-ash Its the "P" in NPK.

You mentioned composting. I've been a big advocate of using it in our gardens and promoting making it for the health of it all.

You should start looking into making your own soil mix with compost as your main ingredient. I use a mix called "Coots mix", there are many good ones out there. I'm on my 5 year in the same soil probably 25-30 runs indoors nothing but water last 3 years.

Instead of doing a compost tea. Take your compost from last year and top dress about 2 inches and water in on top of that. There's your compost tea. It will continue to give your plants benefit for the rest of your grow and then some. With compost teas I've learned that what we are doing making a tea is diluting the goodness. So top dress as a mulch with your year old compost. Look into leaf mold if you're near a forest. Its the best you can get and free. Can top dress and use your compost tea for the watering.

Not sure how long your growing season is there where you're at but I'm in upstate NY on a mountain side. So we could have winter anytime after mid-September. I wont do anything that will lengthen the time to harvest. Trimming training... indoors I do some but dont worry about it outside. I've been worrying more about weather and no rain or too much rain or snow or wind or fog... those are my challenges.

We will be going from 95F @ 80% humidity to 70F and 50F at night here in a day or so. So that will be foggy nights big time and with that weather comes PM. It's already here. If I get any harvest it will be a bonus.
We have BIG plans for next year as we are moving onto a 1500 acre ranch so in the ground next year. The ranch has a designated garden area that has been worked for years. I plan on working the potting soil from this years grow into the soil to add some more light weight material , the soil there has a lot of clay. I figure by the time next years crop hits the dirt we will have everything in it that they need.
I would imagine our growing season is a bit longer than yours, we are on the western slope of the Sierra Mountains. Typically we don't get into heavy rains until November, December is usually the first snow/freeze so we have lots of time.
We are in the upper 90s - 105 with humidity at around 20 % so mold won't be an issue here. The kind of weather you are talking about will not come to this area until around the middle of November, Hopefully we will be in the drying room by then.
Last year we did General Hydro products and had decent success. This year we have went with Mega-Crop and compost tea. Now I don't know if Miss Emilya's watering technique has made that big of a difference but my plants are stacking like mad right now so something we did this year over last has made a huge difference. Next year we will hopefully not have to deal with any of that we just throw some seeds in the ground and pour a little water on them and Bam instant plants :rofl:politicians can say some of the dumbest things.

Your compost is key. Moving to the ranch be taking a truckload along with me. We moved to our 30 acre farm last winter. lol Still a full time job for a few people. Now all I obsess over is a bigger tractor.

With the clay just put compost on top let mother nature do her thing. We hadda move leaf compost from the woods onto our garden plot that was hardpan clay was hard work tilling it but we got a decent garden going.

My Mom worked the soil for years but not to the extent that I am about to. I have about 600 cubic feet of potting soil and another 100 cubic feet of compost. The ranch will give me plenty of room to compost and Start my own worm farm so things are about to get real. To this point my plants have been nice and have provided me with the meds that I need. I am anticipating growing beasts on the ranch, in the dirt, horizon to horizon sunshine, untreated well water and a 6 month growing season. I will have all fall and winter to get all my stuff worked into and balanced out. I will be planting in the middle of a garden so lots of companion plants as well, the place has some upside to be excited about and I can hardly wait.

I don't know if you can see it on my pics, the budding sites go way down the stem like 14"-16". I am not sure what to do about this. I don't even know if this is good or bad. Do I trim up the flowers to a certain point ? , do I leave them ? The girls are doing great so this might be normal but it is way more flowers sites than I saw last year. The whole group is doing this so I think it might be a good thing but I don't want to end up with tons of popcorn buds so I need advice:rolleyes:

They are growing spears. Its genetic - what strain are you growing again?

Some strains will grow flowers with different shapes. I have that now too. The problem will be later when they get fat and heavy before harvest time. Its not really a bad thing. lol But it can get unruly when the girls drop their skirts. lol

Worry about popcorn at the trim table.

No need to do anything steady the course. Lots of folks do fencing around the plants to hold that up later in flower. I use stakes and wires. At some point its going to get real.

You know I was hoping that was the case :goof: so it sounds like I am going to be dealing with giant colas, shucks.

I am growing Vanilla Frosting, Magic Melon, Romulan and Black Jack clones from DarkHeart Nursery. Black Jack is not doing this so much but the others are really impressing me. The amount of flowers per day is crazy at this rate they will need support no doubt.

I have a PVC rack that I put over the plants and suspend the colas from above utilizing twine and wood rods. You can see the set-up in my last grow journal, it works really well and allows you to get into the plant for whatever reason

thats a great point that should be repeated.

nice looking plants SC! What's the genetics on the black jack? It's got a nice looking sativa leaf.
Thanks Canna. the Black Jack is Black Domina X Jack Herer it is supposed to be a top yielder, only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom