Sierra Natural Science SNS-217 Best for Spider Mites

Habanero's -vs- SNS 217.

35 year outdoor grower, 1st year indoor grower. Started a 8 plant 30 day perpetual garden in Jan. of 2013 using feminized beans from Nirvana. All was good until June of this year, I started noticing what looked like baby powder on some leaves; it wouldn't just rub off so I got the lighted microscope out; holy shit, I had monsters under the leaves (two spotted spider mite); leaves were loaded with eggs also.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.......

I had a bumper crop of hot peppers (mostly habanero's) last year in my vegetable garden, so many that I made habanero ice cubes for chili and such. I decided to try spraying the girls down with my habanero juice. It killed 100% of the living spider mites. After very close monitoring every day I noticed that they started coming back after a week to 10 days. It seemed that the juice didn't kill the eggs but slowed the hatching ( I should of had some hatching in 3 to 5 days?). The spraying process really wore me out, it's amazing how much "snot" the human body is capable of producing! After some more research I decided to give the SNS 217 a try, in spite of the high cost!!! What a pleasant surprise to my nose.

I sprayed them down yesterday (Sunday the 28th), the plants look fine today, no mites to be found. I am hoping this will kill the eggs, as I already know the Habanero juice will kill the living ones and is much cheaper to make. I will try to keep this updated.

just located the mite problem too I am 2 weeks out from harvest I thought u could use sns217 up to day of harvest any one know for sure
please let me know.I have a different product and I needed some info from the manufacture as soon as I mentioned medical garden he clammed up and wouldnt give me any info he said his boss wouldnt allow them to discuss with folks like me u know they market to us and depend on our dollars to survive and when u contact them they brush u off

Mine are 5 weeks into bud (7 - 9 wk. finish) and I sprayed so much 217 they were dripping wet, looks like we are on the same schedule, I will let you know what I end up with. I will say, I did my last crop with habanero juice and it did NOT effect the end product.

Habanero's -vs- SNS 217.

35 year outdoor grower, 1st year indoor grower. Started a 8 plant 30 day perpetual garden in Jan. of 2013 using feminized beans from Nirvana. All was good until June of this year, I started noticing what looked like baby powder on some leaves; it wouldn't just rub off so I got the lighted microscope out; holy shit, I had monsters under the leaves (two spotted spider mite); leaves were loaded with eggs also.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.......

I had a bumper crop of hot peppers (mostly habanero's) last year in my vegetable garden, so many that I made habanero ice cubes for chili and such. I decided to try spraying the girls down with my habanero juice. It killed 100% of the living spider mites. After very close monitoring every day I noticed that they started coming back after a week to 10 days. It seemed that the juice didn't kill the eggs but slowed the hatching ( I should of had some hatching in 3 to 5 days?). The spraying process really wore me out, it's amazing how much "snot" the human body is capable of producing! After some more research I decided to give the SNS 217 a try, in spite of the high cost!!! What a pleasant surprise to my nose.

I sprayed them down yesterday (Sunday the 28th), the plants look fine today, no mites to be found. I am hoping this will kill the eggs, as I already know the Habanero juice will kill the living ones and is much cheaper to make. I will try to keep this updated.

Sunday the 11th of August 2013 update: *The SNS 217 worked as described. I soaked the girls down (dripping wet) paying very close attention to the underside of each leaf (nearly impossible imo). I then decided to NOT spray them again and see if there were any survivor's. After 10 days I found baby mites!!! The 217 killed all living ones and most eggs, however not all eggs. It did slow the hatching process as did the homemade Habanero juice, but as with the Habanero juice it did NOT kill all the eggs with one application. CONCLUSION = Both products work if applied several times. I sprayed them down again after noticing the baby mites and have been monitoring them very closely. Nothing to be found, all is dead... 2 applications, major defoliation.

IMHO if you can afford the SNS 217 then use it, the habanero juice as you can image it hell on us humans but much, much cheaper to use. The key (imo) is to be persistent, keep the humidity as high as you can and keep them well watered. In addition, treat your indoor grow rooms the same as a surgeon would treat himself and his operating room in a hospital, super clean!

I would very much like to try a sample of said product, I have battled mites and lost everything. If said product works effectively then I will absolutely purchase a gallon now and in the future.

How did you make the Habanero juice? I heated mine, but I probably should have juiced em?
If I could afford SNS I would have some on hand. It's a very nice product!
I have used it once.

ive been battleing mites for a year. lol. used many things. the latest, being a rotation, between floramite hc, and avid. thought id finally gotten them. and lo and behold, i saw a few tonight. i did not like using those products, as they are not organic. sometimes we need a cannon. but, they came back. next up. need oil. i dont see how that can work well. oil and water dont mix. so how do they expect us to mix with water? anyway, i guess i may purchase some of this sns stuff.

Getting Free Pesticide Sample Kit (Normally $27 +S&H), and "FREEKIT" coupon code took the price off.

EDIT: Well, I take it back. Damn website keeps generating errors, and wants me to enter in CC number each and every god damned time it screws up. I'm done with it, got no patience for this today.

EDIT 2: All right, I smoked a bowl, found some patience, and tried again. This time it finally worked. Getting Free Pesticide Sample Kit (Just Pay Shipping & Handling) – Sierra Natural Science It has 203, 209, and 217C. Cost me $7.02 to ship.

Those work too. Maybe their site went down for a bit and came back up. :thumb:

let me clarify. the link to natural science on the sponsor page is not working.. sorry about that

Sunday the 11th of August 2013 update: *The SNS 217 worked as described. I soaked the girls down (dripping wet) paying very close attention to the underside of each leaf (nearly impossible imo). I then decided to NOT spray them again and see if there were any survivor's. After 10 days I found baby mites!!! The 217 killed all living ones and most eggs, however not all eggs. It did slow the hatching process as did the homemade Habanero juice, but as with the Habanero juice it did NOT kill all the eggs with one application. CONCLUSION = Both products work if applied several times. I sprayed them down again after noticing the baby mites and have been monitoring them very closely. Nothing to be found, all is dead... 2 applications, major defoliation.

IMHO if you can afford the SNS 217 then use it, the habanero juice as you can image it hell on us humans but much, much cheaper to use. The key (imo) is to be persistent, keep the humidity as high as you can and keep them well watered. In addition, treat your indoor grow rooms the same as a surgeon would treat himself and his operating room in a hospital, super clean!

Well jd8611, I don't know if you're still around or not, but I have to say, In love your disclaimer at the bottom!! lolol

My question here is, what are the differences between SNS 209 and SNS 217? Is it simply that one is systemic? Contents the same? I use 209 in my nute mixes - 5 days in the nutes, 5 days off. Works for me, but I'm wondering if systemic is the way to go here.... Thoughts?? I'm growing in Hydro coco-perlite mix. Use 60-70 gallons a week and, as you know, this stuff ain't cheap!!

Thanks for any input, Andy.

I've been trying both 209 and 217. They just aren't working for me. The mites just come back and back and back. The cost of this stuff is just too high for the results I've seen.

I've been trying both 209 and 217. They just aren't working for me. The mites just come back and back and back. The cost of this stuff is just too high for the results I've seen.
I've been using 209 at the recommended dosage for a couple years with fantastic results. I start them on it week 1 and stop a out 3 weeks from finish and have narry a mite in sight. Lol
I've also added it to nutes for the outside girls and haven't seen any mites either.
Without 209, I'm garoteed to have them and BAD. None of the sprays I've tried have been worth a shit. The cost, to me, is well worth it.
Good luck, Learninginak.

Just a reminder to everybody- Organic does not always mean safe to use! Arsenic is organic! Always read the labels thoroughly! I have been an "organic" gardener for several decades now at home, but some things I would not spray on my cannabis when in late bloom. However, most botanical's are safe to apply up till the day before harvest. But does the commercial version have soap or oils in them, that may mess up the flavor of your crop, if not dangerous to smoke! Read the contents with attention to what may have been added as a spreader/sticker/surfactant or listed as non active ingredients. The SNS217 rosemary extract should be safe and the worst it could do is make your pot taste like roast chicken! Kidding aside, it is pretty good at controlling spider mites without making buds taste like soap or unnatural! I sprayed some with homemade rosemary, garlic and chiles spray some years ago that tasted like garlic weeks later when cured, but it did help with the mites and thrips that had attacked!

Back
Top Bottom