Sign of heat issues from light or not enough light?

at3035

Hi,
My girls are showing signs of browning/purpling? Could this be an issue with my lighting?
The plants are 2.5 weeks old after popping from the soil.
Originally I had them under a 54W T5 single bulb light, but they were growing so slowly that I added 2x23W 6500K CFL and 2x40W 5500K CFLs

The T5 is about 5" from the canopy
and the cfls are about 3-4" away

The soil is potting soil from a local nursery and I haven't added any nutes

m136.jpg

m235.jpg

you could be right about the temperatures, but i'm not quite sure
the temperatures were about 70f (21C) with the lights on, and about 66f (19C) when lights off
they are on a light schedule of 18/6

I've watered about once a week, and only when the top drys up about an inch

Now with the additional lights, temps have risen to about 80f (27C)

Your temps sound good then. It still could be the watering. Try watering based on the weight of the pot- test against a dry or barely moist one. Barely moist is what you want to be at for this age/size.

your soil looks a bit clumpy...

The temps are only now recently in the mid 70s-80f (25-28C) as I added more lights

Here are some more pics of the container
Does this look too moist? It was watered about 7 days ago

IMG_20160322_075730.jpg

Closer image (The top inch of soil is dry)

IMG_20160322_075722.jpg

Picture of the potting soil
IMG_20160322_080107.jpg

Heres a pic of my Kali Mist which seems to be doing ok...I think
IMG_20160322_075755.jpg

By the way, the other strain are auto Northern Lights

Thanks again guys :thanks:

The visual appearance of the soil can be deceiving and I mainly gauge by weight. Having said that- yes it all looks quite wet.

A question - Are there holes in the bottoms of those cups?

If not -that's your problem. I'd also poke some in the lower sides as well. Wet conditions, especially combined with cool temps (below 75) are the main causes of seedlings languishing and dying.

Try filling a cup full of soil that is just very slightly moist. That's how much your containers should weigh. Given time an overwatered plant will put out roots and recover- it just takes some babying.

The visual appearance of the soil can be deceiving and I mainly gauge by weight. Having said that- yes it all looks quite wet.

A question - Are there holes in the bottoms of those cups?

If not -that's your problem. I'd also poke some in the lower sides as well. Wet conditions, especially combined with cool temps (below 75) are the main causes of seedlings languishing and dying.

Try filling a cup full of soil that is just very slightly moist. That's how much your containers should weigh. Given time an overwatered plant will put out roots and recover- it just takes some babying.

there are holes at the bottom of the cups
but yeah, i'll hold off the watering and poke some more holes and we'll see how it goes

Weasel has it down. The thing for you to do is fill a cup with completely dry soil. This is the weight you are looking for before watering again. Cannabis needs a wet dry cycle to force it to make more roots in search of water. dont do mistings and small amounts of water. Wait for the cup to get that dry and then immerse the cup almost all the way in water and let it soak for 5 minutes. Then wait until it gets dry again. You will find that healthy plants wont wither until in dry soil for more than a day.

The yellowing is caused by roots that stay wet. They are basically drowning and shut down transport of nutrients such as Nitrogen.

do you think there is still hope for my girls, especially this one?
m136.jpg

I did feel the cup of that one and yes it is quite moist, so I think overwatering might be the issue, or the fact that the soil isn't draining well
I used a coffee cup for that girl and it was probably a bad choice

Shiggity is right about the wet-dry cycle. I don't do the 'wet' part of the cycle when they're young though- just touch ups - dribbling in water, especially around the sides. They won't need much over the next 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom