Significant Cannibus Derivities

RangerDanger

These are the 3 times I've been the highest off of cannabis of various forms, starting with the first.
-circa 1970. Nepalese Temple Balls. With 3 friends in a cheap ass motel room near LAX.
We stacked about 8 albums on the turntable (remember those?), filled a small hash pipe with that sticky stuff. I remember I smoked 3 hits.
No one moved until all the albums had played, then someone was able to get up and flip them over. Then we smoked another 2 hits and re-entered Nirvana.
-circa 1977. It was at a friends house up in Malibu Canyon, midway between the 101 and the 1 off Kanan/Dume Rd.
There were 4 of us hanging out when a local grower came by with a freakin boxfull of buds. Not trimmed buds but branches full of buds, unmanicured.
This guy had developed a strain over 10 years that we got to know as Agoura Purple. He grew almost exclusively for "contract" smoker's, people who would order however much they wanted in the winter. But if he had any left over he'd offer it to the locals.
We were all broke but we figured we could get a free high out of this. So we said "let us try it first".
The grower twists up two j's and they got passed around.
By the time we finished those 2 j's I was devastated. Not stoned, not wasted, but incapacitated.
The grower was so high that when he left about 15 minutes (I think) later he forgot his boxfull of buds! It was sitting there in the middle of the living room floor.
Everyone sitting on the couch wanted to get up and take a small pinch from the boxfull. Yeah wrong I know but fer chrissake there was over a pound of spears in there.
But no one could get up. This stuff had all of us so stoned we had lost the power of mobility.
After awhile the grower shows back up and says "hey did I leave a boxfull of weed here?"
Someone managed to lift an arm and point to the box.
"Oh wow man cool" he says and leaves, this time with his buds.
-circa 2002
I had just bought a new vaporizer and wanted to break it in right.
In the bowl I first put some of the finest NorCal bud (which I grew myself), then a layer of kif, then a phat drop of red honey oil to top it off.
I took a hit and it seemed that my lungs suddenly had the voulme of several basketballs. Whoa buddy, that right there was the most significant single hit I've ever had.
My 2 friends each had a hit, and since there was some still left in the bowl we all had another.
I don't remember too much of the next several hours except I remember being very happy. I also remember walking outside and enjoying the cold bite of a late-Nov. night deep in the woods and enjoyed the stars (and saw a shooting star!).

ADD:
About Agoura Purple:
After my initial experience I tracked the grower Eric down. I wanted to find out more about this weed which remains the most potent bud I've ever smoked.
He lived very remotely in Malibu Canyon in an old 2-story house originally built by his grandfather. The house was filled with antiques.
I remember 2 of the antiques. One was a granfather clock built in the early 1800's. The other was an oak chest built in the 1750's. Both were from Sweden (where his grandfather was from) and both were built without nails. The were constructed with what I think is called mortise and tenon--wood pegs driven into drilled holes.
He had experimented with all kinds of pot, growing and cross-breeding many strains, until he stumbled upon this particular strain. It took him 10 years.
This stuff was amazingly purple. The leaves and buds retained their purple color even after drying, a rarity. I was privilaged enough to accompany him out to one of his small gardens (I have no idea how many gardens he had hidden up in the Santa Monica Mountains or how many lbs. he grew a year). He topped a plant and instead of oozing clear/green sap, the sap was purple!
When I moved about 50 miles away I kept in touch with Eric, buying pot and trying to coax some seeds out of him (which he just would not do).
But then circa 1980 a fire (started by an arsonist btw) tore through the Santa Monica's.
It was started on the 101 side and traveled all the 12 miles to the ocean. The fire department responded but the fire trucks could only go 30 miles an hour; the fires was doing 35.
The fire burned down numerous houses, killed livestock and 1 guy died trying to get out.
One of the houses that burned down was Eric's. Completely. Down to the ground. All those antiques (many irreplacable), seed stock and his gardens--gone. Forever.
Eric should have had some seeds stashed somewhere else but he was a bit manic abaout keeping that strain his and his alone.
He got a sizable settlement from the ins. co. but like I said, some of the stuff was irreplacable.
Like Agoura Purple.
I never talked to him after the fire and he just seemed to sort of disappear. I was told he was pretty torn up about his loss and moved out-of-state.
There was no way to re-create Agoura Purple. It was the result of many years of cross-breeding crosses. I knew from the taste and effects it was heavily indica, but there was some sativa in it. There was a heavy body stone (as evidenced by the fact we could not get up off the couch the 1st time I smoked some) but the mind and vision remained razor-sharp. You know that effect you get with usually top-of-the-line sativa's where you seem to have super-vision? So intense it seems you can see for miles and miles and practically thru walls. And your mind just soars.

The old-timers still speak reverently about Agoura Purple. One of the great strains of all time imo, but alas is no more.

like i said, youve always got the best stories :cheesygrinsmiley:

"oh wow cool man" classic.

that was a good read, you really do tell great stories and are full of great info.

btw, how much actual bud were on most plants in the 70's because?

reps for you.

*drip*....As the drool rolling down my cheek lands on the floor.

That strain sounds magical my man. I dont blame him for keeping it a secret, but at the same time it's to bad that he did.

Once again your words are music to my eyes. Thanks.

MBH

Back
Top Bottom