Hiya,

This is what I put together this evening. 20 minute job. I may have gone a little off piste with the stones. On top would be my cheapo soil (its very dense and clayey) and then put my bag or nicer stuff on top? @Azimuth what do you reckon? Do I need to silicone in the sides of the strainer?

Thoughts lets me know.

DeeBeeBee
Hey DBB, Great job as well! :thumb:

You don't need silicone on the sides. When you first load in the soil, just make sure it is good and wet. It'll hold together that way and less will fall into the reservoir, and what little does doesn't really matter.

The one change I would suggest is to concentrate some additional stones up higher around the overflow hole, but also just have that in a small section around the overflow, and then just use your regular soil mix around the rest of your strainer.

Hello Azi and everyone! You've had me thinking about auto watering these SIP's. I'd have to think if a cat or dog self feeding water dispenser works for them, then cannabis should be good with the system as well!

An elevated rez with a tube that sits firmly at the one inch below soil mark facing directly down will dispensed water on demand? I bet it will. I'll hope for a reason to try it out one day myself. Have you had any thoughts like this? it would keep the rez full at all times and as Buds is seeing we think, the plant may be better because of it. And of course for time away care.
@ReservoirDog has that set-up for his mother plants. He's discussed it before, I'll see if I can find his description.

Hey DBB, Great job as well! :thumb:

You don't need silicone on the sides. When you first load in the soil, just make sure it is good and wet. It'll hold together that way and less will fall into the reservoir, and what little does does really matter.

The one change I would suggest is to concentrate some additional stones up higher around the overflow hole, but also just have that in a small section around the overflow, and then just use your regular soil mix around the rest of your strainer.
Thanks Azimuth,

Yeah was thinking the same but then I just got carried away and becasue looked pretty!

I have a serious question,

So that little setup buying everything but the straight bit of PVC pipe and stones which I have lots lying around cost me like $2USD, I have a couple of different types of soil, lots of coco and fabric pots too. I currently water using a 6L water bottle with my nutes mixed and its a bit of a pain, although found some promising looking watering systems for just $20, the single point to water seems much easier.

Question:

Do you feel like a SIP system provides greater yields than just a pure coco in bag approach? Its hard to overwater in coco anyway. I'm not abandoning my GSC grow but its not going to be what I hoped for so happy to experiment with 4 plants but want to feel like there is some value add over the approach that seems to be giving great results with my Bruce Banners.

Your wise thoughts appreciated - also this thread is epic, loving seeing the hacking, DIY spirit going on.

DBB

Question:

Do you feel like a SIP system provides greater yields than just a pure coco in bag approach? Its hard to overwater in coco anyway. I'm not abandoning my GSC grow but its not going to be what I hoped for so happy to experiment with 4 plants but want to feel like there is some value add over the approach that seems to be giving great results with my Bruce Banners.
I don't know about greater yields but I would say comparable, but done in soil without the fiddling of pHing in coco or the complication of hydro. For me anyway.

It all depends on what you like. If you're getting great results in coco and that's your thing, more power to you. I like to grow in organic soil and these pots allow harvests on par with those other methods. And, like with coco and hydro, you avoid watering issues.

Just another tool in the toolbox. Each grower gets to pick and choose the combinations that fit their own style. The goal is to grow the best plants we can. What tools we choose is up to the grower.

I don't know about greater yields but I would say comparable, but done in soil without the fiddling of pHing in coco or the complication of hydro. For me anyway.

It all depends on what you like. If you're getting great results in coco and that's your thing, more power to you. I like to grow in organic soil and these pots allow harvests on par with those other methods. And, like with coco and hydro, you avoid watering issues.

Just another tool in the toolbox. Each grower gets to pick and choose the combinations that fit their own style. The goal is to grow the best plants we can. What tools we choose is up to the grower.
Cheers - I think I might split the 4 plants, two in coco, two in SIP then we can call it an experiment and I can call myself a scientist! 😆 They'll get equal lights and everything and we'll see how they do. Seems like fun.

Thanks again,

DBB

Cheers - I think I might split the 4 plants, two in coco, two in SIP then we can call it an experiment and I can call myself a scientist! 😆 They'll get equal lights and everything and we'll see how they do. Seems like fun.

Thanks again,

DBB
Perfect. We'll get to see in real life what the theory's been saying. :thumb:

I made one using 2 buckets, have not used yet. This looks really good and simple enough. I need to setup a water lever indicator or just try using a small stick to see when to add more water.

See my DIY w/ plastic coffee cans, in 5 gal buckets Pretty sure it's right up front of this thread..

Hi all.
:nicethread:
I am basically a newbie grower.
I am using Subcool's supersoil in SIPs, with autos (long story).
Is anyone else running out of Nitrogen during the grow using Subcool's Supersoil in a SIP?
And does anyone know how much extra N needs to add to Subcool's, so that it does not run out of nitrogen, but also does not give the dreaded "Nitrogen Claw"?

For those who are new to supersoil, here is a Subcool's recipe:

Here is another presentation with pictures (if that matters):
SuperSoil - SubCool's Super Soil 100 Gallon Recipe Mix Package.

And here is an expert critic who believes Subcool's can be improved upon.
What's So Cool About Super Soil? The Super Soil Recipe Breakdown.

:thanks:
SuperCool's recipe was inspirational, to me.

As in - some people have WAY too much time and energy (and SPACE) on their hands.

I then realized I could get 80%+ of the result for 20% the complexity, and it would be scalable.

I have had NO issues in veg, and am supplementing with GeoFlora in bloom, don't know that it's needed, but I have it, I'm using it. Recipe toward the top of both grow journals in my sig. Sorry if you think you're having N issues, but they're easily cured, no? Some girls are hungrier than others?

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at SIP and I'm wondering if the way I made it will work as it should?
IMG_20221130_114558.jpg
IMG_20221130_114655.jpg
IMG_20221130_114613.jpg
IMG_20221130_114544.jpg

How do you think it will work like this?
Looks VERY similar to mine, w/ a plastic "coffee can" as the "tank"...

Hello Azi and everyone! You've had me thinking about auto watering these SIP's. I'd have to think if a cat or dog self feeding water dispenser works for them, then cannabis should be good with the system as well!

An elevated rez with a tube that sits firmly at the one inch below soil mark facing directly down will dispensed water on demand? I bet it will. I'll hope for a reason to try it out one day myself. Have you had any thoughts like this? it would keep the rez full at all times and as Buds is seeing we think, the plant may be better because of it. And of course for time away care.
The key to remember for a 'water tower' or Hamster bottle type of self feeding rez is that it's SEALED - if it's open, the water will all run out and make a mess. If it's sealed, it will only dispense water when there is air below the tube to bubble up. put the end of the tube below the top of the dome, you should be good to go. Might have issues w/ diameter / run of the tube - would not want it to be too narrow, tho I suppose the air will figure it out..

Yeah, I wire wrapped a cork, seems to want to get bound in the pipe... Bamboo / balsa be a good choice next time...
Awesome becasue otherwise I was going to have to buy BeeBee two bottles of decent wine which is mad expensive here so will look at other options first! 😆

Awesome becasue otherwise I was going to have to buy BeeBee two bottles of decent wine which is mad expensive here so will look at other options first! 😆
What, no Trader Joe's near you? Cheap as crap, and VERY drinkable, as a rule!
and I think you' still want a cork / piece of foam to stick the stick into...
Also, floats are sexy, but as Azi points out, a simple dip stick works well to tell you when it's empty...

What, no Trader Joe's near you? Cheap as crap, and VERY drinkable, as a rule!
and I think you' still want a cork / piece of foam to stick the stick into...
Also, floats are sexy, but as Azi points out, a simple dip stick works well to tell you when it's empty...
I live on a tropical island in Thailand - so nah no Trader Joes 🤣

Bamboo I have a plenty, banana leaves might make a nice flag for the float!

Plus box wine is good enough for the missus!

DBB

I live on a tropical island in Thailand - so nah no Trader Joes 🤣
Lucky you, long ago I spent great times on Samui and Phangan, probably changed heaps but still sound nice spots to be. A mate's married and living on the mainland, he seems to enjoy it.
Sounds great that Thailand has loosened up about things.

Back
Top Bottom