Yes, that seems to be the consensus. And it makes total sense.
The rice hulls were cold when I checked the cook.
It could be that they never got going, much like trying to start a compost pile with too much brown material compared to the greens. The balance is important and with the amount of rice hulls you added that could have thrown the mix off.

I do think once they get broken down they will serve the silica input you want so that soil will be very usable once it stabilizes. In the meantime, you've found a suitable workaround so all is well.

All good, my man, all good. My plant is growing too fast for my usual practices so I have to step up my game.

The plant's too big! A nice "problem" to have, wouldn't you say?
What my Dad calls a “High Quality Problem”!

Edit I’m scared - have my Co2 system dialled in so SIP plus Co2 going to be crazy! But likely someone else going to have the fun. Just had an offer for my whole setup…

🤣

DBB

Looking at the overall color I would say that the nitrogen needs to be reduced a little bit and that might be causing a lockout of potassium maybe, but overall I don't see a big problem here
Ahh, ok!! Muchísimas gracias, doña @Emilya Green !
I will back off on the N.
:thanks:

I did some research on my liquid nutes, "BioNova Veganics."
They say they are mostly derived from algae (kelp??).
Since they are liquid, if there is still tip yellowing after I back off on N, maybe I could add some of that to the res?
Thank you!!
:thumb:

Ok. So the first time you add it, it gives an extra boost.
And then after that, it moderates?
Well, that depends on if you precharged it or not. If you didn't, it will act like a sponge, absorbing nutrients and sequestering them for later. If you did precharge it then it just sits there like a full battery and will only start giving up its goodies when they run low in the surrounding soil.

Only, what does it moderate in soil? The soil touching it?
And how does it moderate it in soil? (In liquid, I could understand it. But in soil???) Because in a SIP, isn't the soil mostly moist? But there are no periodic "floods" of liquid... :hmmmm: :hmmmm:
Keep in mind we are talking about a microscopic environment and what looks like a moist environment to us is a flood to the tiny microbes. They swim around in that moist environment breaking stuff down and consuming each other. And, with no wet/dry cycle, they stay active throughout the grow without many pauses along the way from the traditional dry periods.

Plus, tiny root hairs will find their way into the larger holes in the char, anchoring them in their own personal oasis.

It could be that they never got going, much like trying to start a compost pile with too much brown material compared to the greens. The balance is important and with the amount of rice hulls you added that could have thrown the mix off.

I do think once they get broken down they will serve the silica input you want so that soil will be very usable once it stabilizes. In the meantime, you've found a suitable workaround so all is well.
Sounds good, Azi!
Thanks again!!

Only, are you still not able to get your KNF extracts to feed through the reservoir, once you have roots down in the reservoir?
I can easily understand why the plants cannot access KNF extracts while they are still forming SIP roots--but after they have formed SIP roots, why would they not be able to drink KNF from the res??

Well, that depends on if you precharged it or not. If you didn't, it will act like a sponge, absorbing nutrients and sequestering them for later.
Sigh..... So I messed up out of lack of knowledge again!!
Only, I guess this is how you get knowledge, is the School of Hard 'Nutes?
If you did precharge it then it just sits there like a full battery and will only start giving up its goodies when they run low in the surrounding soil.
Ahh, ok.
Keep in mind we are talking about a microscopic environment and what looks like a moist environment to us is a flood to the tiny microbes. They swim around in that moist environment breaking stuff down and consuming each other. And, with no wet/dry cycle, they stay active throughout the grow without many pauses along the way from the traditional dry periods.
Ahh, ok. That makes more sense now.
Thank you!
Plus, tiny root hairs will find their way into the larger holes in the char, anchoring them in their own personal oasis.
Siiii......
But "if they are so smart", why can't they access KNF from the res??

Only, are you still not able to get your KNF extracts to feed through the reservoir, once you have roots down in the reservoir?
I can easily understand why the plants cannot access KNF extracts while they are still forming SIP roots--but after they have formed SIP roots, why would they not be able to drink KNF from the res??
Working on that now. It didn't work for me when I had hydroton clay balls at the reservoir level which held up the soil keeping it out of the reservoir. I am hoping that with my organic soil now down at the reservoir level that the microbes would also be present and maybe they were the missing link.

Don't really know, but I am optimistic.

But "if they are so smart", why can't they access KNF from the res??
I don't think of them as necessarily smart but more opportunistic. Roots grow out in all directions and then gravitate to wetter areas. The roots in the drier areas are weaker and smaller and the roots that found the wet grow stronger.

As for the KNF/Jadam nutes, it may very well be that the roots can't access those nutrients directly for some reason, but need the middle man of the microbes to assist. I was kind of surprised by my lack of success since the KNF and Jadam nutes are already broken down and pre-digested by the microbes as part of the extraction process.

All I know is that even my FAA (fish amino acid), my most powerful organic nute, was ineffective at reversing a nitrogen deficiency when given through the rez. So I stopped feeding that way and returned to feeding from above and all was fine.

Now that I've changed my set-up a bit I am experimenting with it again but it's been less than a week since I started so I have no observations yet.

Ahh, ok!! Muchísimas gracias, doña @Emilya Green !
I will back off on the N.
:thanks:

I did some research on my liquid nutes, "BioNova Veganics."
They say they are mostly derived from algae (kelp??).
Since they are liquid, if there is still tip yellowing after I back off on N, maybe I could add some of that to the res?
Thank you!!
:thumb:
There are many types of yellow tip yellowing, all indicating different things, so be careful in how you react to that general condition. Many people associate the yellow tip, the small mini triangle type, with burning. It is funny though, that most true organically fed plants exhibit this peculiar condition. It turns out that the same signal that is sent out to the microbes to shut off the supply, that thank you, we have had enough for now... That same signal is what causes the mini triangle indication at the tips of the leaves. Your tip situation looks different and is commonly associated with potassium deficiency, or as we have discussed maybe not an actual deficiency of potassium, but a lockout instead.

Give things two or three watering cycles to settle out and I think you'll see a big difference by cutting back on the nitrogen at this point.

“School of hard nutes” made me smile @el gringuito!

“Opportunistic” is exactly the right word @Azimuth its frequently used when describing the explosion of life on the planet we live on for all species.

“All my secrets…” My one secret to learning about growing is read, read, read this forum - not just in the method you grow in but others too to broaden your knowledge. Its been a great journey but with some work stuff and an offer that seems too good to refuse maybe I’ll have to circle back here in a little while.

DBB

Should one already put some water in the bucket when seeding? although some will accumulate from just topfeeding, it's just if the root senses a nutrient vat down there me thinks it will head that way with great haste, direction and purpose.

also I think I'm going to fill mine like the picture..hydro pebbles & soil, seems to make the most sense to me roots growing into a spacious, oxygen rich moist environment, gonna wash those and soak them in ph'd rhizotonic solution, and I'm gonna make a little bill284 area for developing the seedling the first days topwatering.. and it's gonna look like a zen rock garden :p.. I'll have everything after next weekend and then we can go again! same light, same strain, same nutes.. the difference will be the watering pot vs soil perlite grow bag.

Should one already put some water in the bucket when seeding? although some will accumulate from just topfeeding, it's just if the root senses a nutrient vat down there me thinks it will head that way with great haste, direction and purpose.
I like to treat the seedling with minimal water, and just like you would if planted in its final container in a normal pot, at least for the first week or so. Then I put a little water in the reservoir just to set the mood. Once it starts growing well and drinking from the reservoir I gradually increase the amount down there which helps establish the moisture gradient.

But several of us do things slightly differently at the seedling stage, and all seem to work out quite well. You'll find what works best for you after a few rounds, but the SIP container seems pretty forgiving no matter how you start it out.

sensing a theme that it’s just too slow uptake using the foot or wick to feed the plant or recharge microbes that way…. apparently that must be top fed to work properly

I drop some mosquito bits down the feed tube to help keep res headed in the right direction

weird tip on rice hulls but the last batch I soaked in Neem oil water as preventative but my bulk 50 lb bag must be contaminated since that neem soaked batch sprouted soil mites out the wazoo… about 5 days after top dressing with the hulls they were line dancing on bucket rims, tiny white mites pretty dang fast for their size…. very similar to hypoapsis miles predator mites

kinda expect that it’s common for bulk rice hulls to carry pests

Hey SIP club! Just wanted to give an update. Today my White Widow auto is 4 weeks old. She is flowering and definitely upping her water intake. Stems are super thick. She is definitely the biggest auto I’ve ever grown.

One question: should I trim a big leaf if it’s right over a bud sight? It’s hard to tell but I attached a pic. I think the bud is getting decent light right now but the leaf is pretty big. I’ve trimmed some smaller leaves but this is a big one.
7A0DD559-1174-4A06-88FC-BB8AF1791831.jpeg
94BE4B87-6864-4B3C-B165-83DBC77182FD.jpeg

Just wanted to give an update. Today my White Widow auto is 4 weeks old.
Damn Will I didn't know you were SIPping outside! You got a journal I could follow?
One question: should I trim a big leaf if it’s right over a bud sight?
Definitely not. The sun moves across the sky and there are no buds on your plant that aren't getting light at least some of the time.

Also, it's not a very dense plant so it can use every leaf it's got!

Hey SIP club! Just wanted to give an update. Today my White Widow auto is 4 weeks old. She is flowering and definitely upping her water intake. Stems are super thick. She is definitely the biggest auto I’ve ever grown.
Looking good, Will! :thumb: Maybe there is something to these SIP pots after all. :laughtwo:

One question: should I trim a big leaf if it’s right over a bud sight? It’s hard to tell but I attached a pic. I think the bud is getting decent light right now but the leaf is pretty big. I’ve trimmed some smaller leaves but this is a big one.
Ah, the big defoliating question. Some growers swear by it saying it encourages the plant to repair the small stresses from it and makes for a heartier plant. Others say the leaves are like solar panels and the plant has them there for a reason so leave them all on.

In your case, I agree with Shed in that, because you are growing outdoors and the sun moves across the sky, all parts of your plant get access to the sun and you don't have tons of leaves to spare, so I'd leave it.

this is a 5g EcoGrow Pot sip. Could also be considered a hempy. There is a rim about 2" from the bottom with holes in it for the overflow. Black Gold Organic and some powered nutes.
This clone of my widow was started in water, showed roots in 11 days, 4 weeks in a 4" pot then 2 weeks in the sip.

day of transplant

two weeks later, flipped today

this is a 5g EcoGrow Pot sip. Could also be considered a hempy. There is a rim about 2" from the bottom with holes in it for the overflow. Black Gold Organic and some powered nutes.
This clone of my widow was started in water, showed roots in 11 days, 4 weeks in a 4" pot then 2 weeks in the sip.

day of transplant

two weeks later, flipped today

Hey Hash,

Welcome to The Club!

So you're using organic nutes in straight perlite?

Back
Top Bottom