SJ120 - First Grow - Hydro - CFL - Auto Flower Feminized 2014

SJ120

Hello,
This is my first grow and my first journal, I am going to try 4 auto flowering feminized seeds.

1 x SWEET ....................+ SPEED. feminized.
1 x BARNEY's Farm ........AUTO SWEET TOOTH feminized.
1 x BOMB ......................AUTO BOMB feminized.
1 x SWEET ................... S.A.D (sweet afghan delicious) feminized

I have been collecting my equipment over the last few months trying to keep the costs to a minimum and will try to do a total cost for the whole project later.
Equipment :
1 x secret jardin 75cm w x 75cm d x 120cm h grow tent.
4 x Aeros 16ltr module (aerated dwc hydroponic system.)
4 x 5cm ball air stones.
4 x 25w Eco Digital heaters.
4 x Digital thermostats. ( water temp )
1 x Digital thermostat. ( room temp and humidity )
1 x Air pump (2) outlets.
1 x 75w strip heater.
1 x 10cm inline extractor fan.
1 x 25cm x 20cm carbon filter.
1 x 12cm clip on fan.
1 x 200w cfl dual bulb.
1 x 300w cfl 2700 flowering bulb.
1 x 65w cfl 2700 flowering bulb.
2 x 26w cfl 6400 vegging bulbs.
Canna 'Aqua' nutrients.

I have set up my tent as follows,
4 x aeros modules each containing
12 ltrs of water ( just touching the bottom of the net baskets).
1 net basket.
1 air stone,
1 25w Eco water heater ( set at 18.c ).
1 x Digital thermostat ( to monitor the root temp ).

1 x 200w dual (centra).
2 x 26w 6400k spot lights
1 x 75w strip heater.
Carbon filter.
Clip on fan.

I'm going to use clay pebbles for my media and Canna 'Aqua' nutrients.

I am doing this grow with no previous experience at all and the only knowledge I have is what I've read or heard be it fact or fiction !
I intend to update this journal twice a week with progress photos each weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to read this journal and please feel free to add any tips or advise.

SJ120
Pics to follow,:peace:

Re: SJ120. First grow,hydro, cfl. Auto flower feminized 2014.

image6492.jpg

Hi SJ120.

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here.

Lovely, clean set up you have there. Are you planning to use CFL's throughout the grow?

Please know I'm not implying there is anything wrong with that, just curious.

hello TanR,

Yes I will be using cfl's for the whole grow. I have 1 x 200w dual + 2 x 26w spots on them at the moment and they seem to look ok, would more lights help?
I only have 120cm for my max height less 30cm for pots so a total of around 90cm actual plant height, this is the reason I chose these particular seeds.

all tips are welcome

SJ120

Hello, anybody
Up to today I have added 'CANNA AQUA' veg A + B nutrients to all 4 pots at 1/4 strength of the recommendation from canna.
Also added cannazym at 1/4 strength.
My P.H is 6.0.
My P.P.M is 650.
The +SPEED and the SWEET TOOTH i germinated with kitchen roll for 2 days the put them in 3" rock wool cubes, then placed the full cube into the net baskets and carefully covered with clay pebbles.
The S.A.D and the BOMB i cut a 3" rock wool cube into 4, I the placed the dry seeds in 2, I then put them into the baskets and carefully covered them with pebbles.
I placed a 200watt dual cfl and 2 x 26 watt cfls over them on a timer 20hrs on 4hrs off.
My room temp is around 22-23c.
Humidity is around 40-50%.
I have the temp of my nutrients at 18c to keep them happy,
I also have a 6" fan on timer 15 mins every 4 hrs just to circulate the air.
Can any body give me advise or tips on anything I can adjust, and also if I add more veg light how much and when?
:peace:

Hiya pinky green,
Please feel free to pull up a chair and heckle as necessary,

nice setup. you could leave the 6 inch fan on for air circulation it will streanghten those seedlings up well .

Pretty impressive detailing on your setup man, I for sure want to see the outcome. Im jumping in!

Are you sure this is your first time? lol

Awesome looking setup. I love how professional and clean your hydro setup is. Looks like you really did your homework and actually have patience lol.

I don't know hydro much but one thing I've seen a lot of hydro guys run into are high res temps vs low res temps. I was a little confused why you needed a water heater when most hydro grows I see are adding frozen water bottles or water coolers to keep temps down. Personally I have an aero cloner and cooler water seems to produce better results.

I could be wrong though. I'm sure a member with more hydro experience could advise you better. Just trying to help. Wish you luck with your first grow! :Namaste:

Edit: Read through again and realized your running CFL so I'm guessing that's probably why lol

Hiya,
I need the heaters because of the location of the tent, plus it's winter here in the uk.
I read some where that the best temp for the roots which are dangling in the nutrients is around 18c so I used that for my starting point, if anyone has any knowledge please let me know.
Just checked the +SPEED and there is a single main root around 3" long going straight down and this has happened over the last 2 days.
None of the others are showing yet.

Hiya, I need the heaters because of the location of the tent, plus it's winter here in the uk. I read some where that the best temp for the roots which are dangling in the nutrients is around 18c so I used that for my starting point, if anyone has any knowledge please let me know. Just checked the +SPEED and there is a single main root around 3" long going straight down and this has happened over the last 2 days. None of the others are showing yet. :peace:

That makes perfect sense. I'm in the US and were at -13 f today so I know what your saying lol. I didn't realize until afterward that your running CFL's. That makes perfect sense that you need to be running water heaters because the CFL's don't generate very much heat. Sorry for the confusion :Namaste:

Hiya,
This is my first grow the only previous experience was about 10 yrs ago when I found a couple of seeds in a deal I got and poked the in with a cheese plant bye the telly, they sprouted and got to around 6" so I put them in a grow bag on the bedroom window cill and they grew to about 4' tall just skinny and leaves. Then they just fizzled out and died. Curiosity has always been my downfall I guess so I decided to give it a go !.

Thanks for viewing

That makes perfect sense. I'm in the US and were at -13 f today so I know what your saying lol. I didn't realize until afterward that your running CFL's. That makes perfect sense that you need to be running water heaters because the CFL's don't generate very much heat. Sorry for the confusion :Namaste:

No worries ,

Hello, anyone
just uploaded some update pics of plants and setup, I don't know if they have ended up in blogs,gallery or elsewhere I am still unsure how to find my way around the site I thought they would show on my journal but as you can see they didn't. I will try again after this.
as you can see from the photos everything looks ok. the +SPEED is storming in front with an impressive root 10cm long. none of the others are showing roots yet but all seem to be happy.
all 4 pots are as follows:
P.H. 5.9
P.P.M. 763ppm
NUTRIENTS 18c
ROOM 24c
HUMIDATY 46%
LIGHTS. CFL 20hrs on 4 hrs off. ( 1 x 200w dual, plus 2 x 26w 600k spots)
FAN 15mins every 2hrs (during lights on only).
FILTER 15mins every 4 hrs ( during lights on only).

all comments and guidance welcome.:peace:
WATER_heater.JPG
P_P_M_reading.JPG
P_P_M_reading.JPG
SETUP61.JPG
LIGHTS_OFF.JPG
/NUTRIENTS_temp.JPG[/img]
P_H_reading.JPG
SWEET_SPEED_14_days.JPG
SWEET_SPEED_main_root_1.JPG
SWEET_SPEED_main_root_2.JPG
SWEET_SPEED_main_root_3.JPG
SWEET_TOOTH_14_days1.JPG
BOMB2.JPG

When you upload pics they will usually go into your member gallery. Basically your photo album on this site.

Once you upload pics into your member gallery your are able to attach them to your journal replies. You should see a tab on the bottom left corner labeled "photos" when you post a new reply.

Once you click this it should pop up a second window where you can select the photos you want to include in your post. When you click on a photo it will paste a link in your reply.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom