skinny stalk help

cbgb

i had a few plants that were about 4-5 '' high .well each plant died w/i a week of putting them in their forever home, i was using a blue plant light for each plant about 4 inches above the plant. each bean sprout died just days apart from each other. the one thing that stood out was that where the stem met the dirt on all of them became very skinny fell over and died. any thoughts, thank you

thanks lab x , i also heard that a blue light does not represent the suns full spectrum. suggestion was to go to a 600 w hps ? thoughts? lab x ? ?

thank you , cbgb

That is true about the blue light not having the full spectrum. There are reds, oranges, greens and invisible light as well. I would recommend going to a L.E.D. fixture. There is a sponsors link in my signature if you want to check out some L.E.D.'s, there are many that are fairly priced.

That is true about the blue light not having the full spectrum. There are reds, oranges, greens and invisible light as well. I would recommend going to a L.E.D. fixture. There is a sponsors link in my signature if you want to check out some L.E.D.'s, there are many that are fairly priced.

thank you lab ~ x , i have posted my comment again (see above) your first response was over watering...you have helped me in the past and i really appreciate it !! do you think it could be poor lighting , over-water or a little of both ???? i checked out your signature great lighting info..... i have 4 plants that have just cracked open using sponge method and placed in a small pot of quality soil anout a 1/4 inch down seed facing up...what do you think the best lighting set up would be for this newbeee thanks again lab ~ x

Yes, absolutely poor lighting may have contributed to the demise of your seedling. And yes it may have been a combination of both, seeing your grow space with the light on and the dead plants may reveal the C.O.D.

I would recommend using t-5 florescent lights for seedlings and clones, t-8's next, the t-12 followed by compact florescent as my last choice. I myself would consider L.E.D. for the main veg time and flower, but not sure which one yet.

Did you know that a young seedling may not be able to handle full strength potting soil ?

Yes, absolutely poor lighting may have contributed to the demise of your seedling. And yes it may have been a combination of both, seeing your grow space with the light on and the dead plants may reveal the C.O.D.

I would recommend using t-5 florescent lights for seedlings and clones, t-8's next, the t-12 followed by compact florescent as my last choice. I myself would consider L.E.D. for the main veg time and flower, but not sure which one yet.

Did you know that a young seedling may not be able to handle full strength potting soil ?

i been growing a good while and i never knew this could happen..i always stick my plant in soil and let them crack that way..could be the reason why some never come up..nice info

Damping off disease.

hello lab ~x ... you have been so helpful and i thank you . i think brick top (bottom post)made a good call "damping off disease" (you can wiki it ) sounds like my problem ..... so on to better things , i live in the northeast and decided to let mother nature take over.....seeds cracked on a sponge , then planted into small pots for 4 days in the dark. they grew well and strong during this period. they are now outdoors in 5 gal bucket . so my question to you is watering , how much, when , how little, water near the bean sprout or around it ? due to the timing here in the northeast i will probably bring them inside for flowering stage.but i will deal with that and indoor when the time comes. again thanks for your help , just need a little info on the h2o !! i have learned a lot thru you and my mistakes , i am a newbee so thanks again for your help with my medicne......btw , your diagnosis is very close to what damping off disease is......tnx

hello lab ~x ... you have been so helpful and i thank you . i think brick top (bottom post)made a good call "damping off disease" (you can wiki it ) sounds like my problem ..... so on to better things , i live in the northeast and decided to let mother nature take over.....seeds cracked on a sponge , then planted into small pots for 4 days in the dark. they grew well and strong during this period. they are now outdoors in 5 gal bucket . so my question to you is watering , how much, when , how little, water near the bean sprout or around it ? due to the timing here in the northeast i will probably bring them inside for flowering stage.but i will deal with that and indoor when the time comes. again thanks for your help , just need a little info on the h2o !! i have learned a lot thru you and my mistakes , i am a newbee so thanks again for your help with my medicne......btw , your diagnosis is very close to what damping off disease is......tnx

I am familiar with damping off disease, but I also know that most new growers over water their young seedling too much thinking they are doing the right thing. Both problems present similarly and end the same way(in death).

As far as the watering goes, when you water make sure the medium is thoroughly watered so run off comes out the bottom, then do not water again until the medium is mostly dry(the top of the soil will appear dry when the time to water is close. The pot will be very light and if the leaves start to wilt you may have waited about 12 hours too long, but it is ok, they will bounce back about an hour and a half after getting water and you will know for next time how light the pot is when they need water. After a few months you will know when they need water based on how long between waterings it has been. Just a side note, as the roots and plant grow the time between waterings shortens a little every time.

Back
Top Bottom