Ski's Jack The Ripper Outdoor First Grow

skibait

So 2 months ago I thought to myself, "I wanna grow, it can't be that hard...." And just like that I planted my first two clones in the ground and I didn't know anything about growing. Hello all and welcome to my first grow journal with hopefully many more to follow. I have used mostly these forums as a guide or just kind of found out how to do things as I went along. I wanted to go really simple so I planted outdoors. The smaller of the two was actually stepped on during its first week(thanks dog), amazingly it has made a comeback, its always been just a bit behind her sister but they have both come along nicely. It is crazy how much I have learned reading these forums in the first 2 months of the grow, lots of good stuff for the next time around.

Here is what we have so far.
Newbies1.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 1
Both_11.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 2
Both_3.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 3
Both_4.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 5
Both_5.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 6
Both_6.jpg

Jack The Ripper Outdoor Week 8

Them are looking great.I have an indoor JTR going in a scrog right now it is is my signature.The buds take a while to start getting thick but when they take off its a pretty sight.Have you smoked the JTR yet?If so what did you think?

I thought it smoked a lot like AK-47. Hits you pretty hard and fast then leaves you with the continuous head buzz. I am really liking sativa right now so I can't wait till these babies are all cured and ready to smoke.

I thought it smoked a lot like AK-47. Hits you pretty hard and fast then leaves you with the continuous head buzz. I am really liking sativa right now so I can't wait till these babies are all cured and ready to smoke.

Have you seen any seeds in your JTR?Ive herd they have a rep for hermie. They look fantastic i bet they are swelling up nicley

So heres the Update. They have filled in nicely :D. I have been scanning them constantly and I have yet to find any balls so I think I am safe thus far from a Hermie. This is currently 11 weeks in the ground from clones and by my estimates proximately 7-14 days into flowering. Does that look right? Let me know what you all think.

Both_7a.jpg

Week 9
Both_8a.jpg

Week 10
Both_9a.jpg

Week 11
Closeup_6a.jpg

Close Up 1
Closeup_7a.jpg

Close Up 2
Closeup_8a.jpg

Close Up 3

Just to get a better idea of how my first two plants are doing. I am 5'10" and they are taller than me now. I don't know how much longer they are going to be. Can anyone give me an estimate to harvest in weeks? If they are going to be more than a month I was thinking about doing some string training to keep those girls away from the fence.(The neighbors are going to smell it but I'd rather not rub it in their faces so to speak). They are 12 Weeks old from clones and originally I was thinking 16 weeks but the buds are just not filling in fast at all. Do I just need to chill out and let the plant do its thing? Any advice is appreciated.
13_weeks.jpg

3 Months Group Shot

Just to get a better idea of how my first two plants are doing. I am 5'10" and they are taller than me now. I don't know how much longer they are going to be. Can anyone give me an estimate to harvest in weeks? If they are going to be more than a month I was thinking about doing some string training to keep those girls away from the fence.(The neighbors are going to smell it but I'd rather not rub it in their faces so to speak). They are 12 Weeks old from clones and originally I was thinking 16 weeks but the buds are just not filling in fast at all. Do I just need to chill out and let the plant do its thing? Any advice is appreciated.
13_weeks.jpg

3 Months Group Shot

I grow indoors and my JTR are on week 12 now so I say tie em and as far as smell Jtr isnt a real big smell producer till you break it up.

Week 14 Update
Both plants continue to be extremely healthy and green. As near as I can tell 3-4 weeks into flowering. Pistils have shown on nearly every node from bottom to top. The right plant seems to be just a little bit ahead of her sister. The colas(right term?) that are at mid level height show the most cluster development with 5-10 small groupings of pistils that seem to build up more every night. So overall they are both doing great.
:lot-o-toke:
So now the crap I am worried about. There are around 8 top colas across the two plants that are in the tallest 1ft. Although pistils have shown on every node on these top guys, none of them show grouping like I have found on the mid section. Is this development normal in JTR or sativas in general? From everything I've read bud development is rather slow going but this is getting me worried that something is wrong.

The first thing that is obvious is that their light cycle is jacked up. They are only getting 9 hours of darkness because of how long the days are. I have considered making them a black out shelter to extend their dark period but I don't know if it's necessary. Another factor is that I live in a residential neighborhood with street lights that makes getting complete darkness outdoors difficult. Could this play a role in the reason why my top guys aren't really starting to develop?

I know most likely I am over critical of what my plants are doing and I prob just need to chill and let them do their thing, but that doesn't ease my suspicions that something might be off with their bud growth. Advice?

Skibait dont sweat it the plants are doing terrific just keep doing what you are doing they look great! BTW where are you located I am on the East Coast (RI MMJ) that is some great job you have done.
The JTR I have seen is 12+ week bloom so figure like mid September or later. I always say when you think it's done, wait a week. :welldone:
+Rep

Thanks for the support, and btw I'm on the west coast. Really interested to see how long they take to fully flower. Now that there are pistils and pre-flowers everywhere I actually have something to take pictures of besides 'stretch'. I am uploading a bunch of pictures from this grow to the member gallery.

skibait!

The plants look GREAT! Definitely keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about building a 'dark shelter'...nature will flower them perfectly.

Also, the buds will keep filling in and swelling until just before harvest (my guess is that they'll be ready around the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. Don't worry if they look kinda thin and airy right now. Just keep them happy and healthy!

A+ bro! reps :peace:

Thanks again for all the input thus far, it is very much appreciated.

*First time grower insight: The reason why I choose to do my first grow outdoors is that I wanted to get the "basics" down. Water, food, and light are what I think of as the basics when it comes to growing these plants. During the first 3 months of this grow I have definitely had a lot of practice in watering and feeding and I got that down now. But it seems as with most things the more I think I know, the more I realize how much I don't. It was easy to get distracted the more complicated the grow process began to appear. For the first grow KISS, there will be time later to become an aeroponics guru(u guys take growing to another level) But for the beginners who want a successful first grow I recommend the basics and a lot of tlc and even a first timer can grow 7ft monsters.

Game Plan from here:
I am going to take your guys advice and let the plant do it's thing (its worked great so far). Everyday there are more and more pre-flowers popping up everywhere. I going to abandon any expectations I had for harvest time and go off of trichs as I believe this will only improve my end product. So sit back and enjoy the flowering, I will keep posting pictures of the best buds that come in.

Dude wait till the last few weeks as ripper is known to slow bud development early and pack on copious amounts of resin and then in the final 2-3 weeks they grow like crazy doubling and even tripling in thickness or at least mine did they look great i bet you get a few pounds off them girls.

So here we are at Week 19 from clones. The plants look like monsters and most colas are getting pretty heavy. The pistils on the first resin sacks to show have all turned red. In the last couple of days the pistils on the bud themselves have slowly started to turn. Since this is my first time around I am a little worried about picking the right time to harvest. I would appreciate any thoughts on how much longer these beauties require. On to the good stuff.

DSCF4126.JPG

DSCF4128.JPG

DSCF4132.JPG

DSCF4136.JPG

DSCF4137.JPG

DSCF4139.JPG

DSCF4150.JPG

Took a bunch of pictures, only 3 turned out alright. Maybe 15% of the pistils have turned. A few more weeks I guess.

DSCF4155.JPG

DSCF4161.JPG

DSCF4162.JPG

Back
Top Bottom