SkooterClowns with power tools

Re: SkooterClowns with power tools...

well Skooter was a bit ambitious (or HIGH) when he was talking about all we would get done today. But we did manage to move forward..

You've got to consider the time needed for important things like smoke breaks, snack breaks, lunch, smoke breaks and snacks.

:Rasta:

Been checking out lid ideas...
-1/2" thick PVC sheet is about $35.00
-tempered masonite (coated) is cheap and fairly waterproof but brings chems into the grow room
-acrylic sheet may be a good option although im not sure if it would crack when the holes are cut. I guess you need to use a jigsaw on slow speed with a fine blade.

I am thinking it may be better to just break down and buy the botanicare lids at this point. they are about $35.00 each (in their catalog) part # gtw22x22w (no holes). they also have some with 2" and 5" holes. Im not too sure how they lay out the reinforcement on the plain lid so that could hinder drilling the holes where you want them. These are made of ABS and should be able to take a hole sawed easily.

QUESTION>>> can the tray be 12" deep?

I checked out Drive-by truckers... thats a good band!

Been checking out lid ideas...
-1/2" thick PVC sheet is about $35.00
-tempered masonite (coated) is cheap and fairly waterproof but brings chems into the grow room
-acrylic sheet may be a good option although im not sure if it would crack when the holes are cut. I guess you need to use a jigsaw on slow speed with a fine blade.

I am thinking it may be better to just break down and buy the botanicare lids at this point. they are about $35.00 each (in their catalog) part # gtw22x22w (no holes). they also have some with 2" and 5" holes. Im not too sure how they lay out the reinforcement on the plain lid so that could hinder drilling the holes where you want them. These are made of ABS and should be able to take a hole sawed easily.

QUESTION>>> can the tray be 12" deep?

I checked out Drive-by truckers... thats a good band!

Whenever you cut any kind of plastic material it is best to put some tape (duct tape works great) where you are going to cut it. This will help prevent chipping, breaking and cracking. A hole saw is the best tool for this particular job. A jigsaw's up and down motion can cause problems.

Sure...the tray can be as deep as you want it. But keep in mind that you have to empty and fill the tubs. Not counting mixing the many gallons of water needed to fill the tubs.

Use this formula to determine exactly how much water you're talking about.
231 cubic inches = 1 gallon.
Our tubs will take 14.6 gallons to fill. (22*22*7)/231. Now we are only going to fill it to ~5 inches deep (taking into account the sunken edge and to only fill it to about 1/2" up the net cup so we will actually be using ~10.5 gallons per tub.

I hope that helps you make some decisions.

You've got to consider the time needed for important things like smoke breaks, snack breaks, lunch, smoke breaks and snacks.

:Rasta:

Ya...I'm not too quick on the up take and always forget that stuff ;)

Besides doing too much in one day makes it feel too much like work. I hate that feeling :slide:

the reason i asked is that i found a good tub at lowes that has a flat spot in the bottom for a drain and a very strong lid. its 20 x 30 x 12.

Im thinking this size may be better for the legal limits of oregon (6 mature plants). So i would also need to up my tents to 36 x 48. I plan on buying 400/600 watt HPS/MH ballasts at the outset to allow for future capacity and also the possibility of using 600 watt HPS for flowering.

QUESTION>>> is the 8' height a requirement? Can i go 7 1/2 feet (Sloping ceiling in the grow room), keeping in mind the extra 5" lost for the taller tub? If you dont think it will work please say so and I will scrap the idea completely. I can also buy the botanicare 22 x 36 trays for a bit more anyway.

thanks

the reason i asked is that i found a good tub at lowes that has a flat spot in the bottom for a drain and a very strong lid. its 20 x 30 x 12.

Im thinking this size may be better for the legal limits of oregon (6 mature plants). So i would also need to up my tents to 36 x 48. I plan on buying 400/600 watt HPS/MH ballasts at the outset to allow for future capacity and also the possibility of using 600 watt HPS for flowering.

QUESTION>>> is the 8' height a requirement? Can i go 7 1/2 feet (Sloping ceiling in the grow room), keeping in mind the extra 5" lost for the taller tub? If you dont think it will work please say so and I will scrap the idea completely. I can also buy the botanicare 22 x 36 trays for a bit more anyway.

thanks

The beauty of this hobby is that there are only a few hard and fast rules. Those being the rules set by the plants. All the rest is up for interpretation.
We are using 8 foot tall tents for 2 reasons. We are building them in a room that has a ceiling height of 9.5' and most building material is sold in 8 foot lengths. The only real limitations are where you build it. Then it's just a matter of keeping your plants within the confines of your tent. There are ways of accomplishing that. We like to take our clippings from the very top of older mother plants and throw them into flowering cycle as soon as we feel there is enough of a root system to support it. That's how we kept the plant height down for our "tool cabinet" grow space. There are many other ways to address keeping the height manageable. LST, SOG, and others come to mind and there are experts on those grow methods here at 420magazine.com (we've never done any of those).

Bottom line. As long as you understand what it is you are getting into in terms of the work involved then there really are no rules as far as tub size, room height etc. Be sure to keep in mind the height of your grow tub, the height of the "table" it will sit on and the dimensions of your light fixtures. Add that all up and subtract it from the height of your grow tent. That will be the amount of room you have for the height of your plants. Oh and don't forget to add the space between the tops of the plants and the bottom of the light fixture. Don't buy seeds from a seed bank that says the plants are "tall" or for outdoor plants.

We use 400w because when we tried growing for the first time our budget only allowed for 400w as a maximum. So that's what we still use.

Best advise I can give you is to try to keep things as simple as possible. Keep your work load to a minimum and have fun. Like Slappy said. We try to avoid as much work as possible. We do not want this to turn into a job. We are doing stash grows for our personal use. As soon as it becomes work it becomes something I'm not that interested in doing ;)

So we use as little water as possible (mixing and hauling 5 gallon buckets of water does get old fast). We do not trim or do anything else to "maximize" yield or quality. We try to start with quality seeds for quality pot and we try to always remember that these plants are weeds. As long as we give them a clean environment and the food and light they need they will grow and be happy and in turn they will keep smiles on our faces long after they are cut down ;)

Ok thanks buuuuuuuuuddy...

Im going to test run a batch with:
-7'6" rooms , 1" PVC frame with diamond foil. velcro closures
-30 x 20 tubs with 6 - 4" net cups
-6 12" air stones per tub - I guess Ill need 2 air pumps.
-400/600 ballast
-MH for veg - MHS for flowering
-separate 6" in/out duct work to the lights with mufflers (homemade)
-4" circulating charcoal filter in each room (homemade)
-4" on-demand room venting with pre-filter (homemade)
-A stealthy in-window intake/exhaust system due to the neighbors (room has no AC vents)
-Room AC for the summer and for the stealthy thing

I am going out to get most of the stuff sunday and will be taking pics. Should have the room, ducts and filters done within a week then get the lights in and setup/tweaking within 2 weeks. After that the Oregon MMA card should be issued and I can start. Hopefully I'll be providing for 2 card holders so I can run 12 flowering plants and 36 seedlings. Once I get my legs under me and if my design works Ill be doubling that.

Pics to follow in a new thread. Ill be referencing it to yours and be following your feeding timing and sneaky little tricks along the way.

This... :Rasta:
Should... :Rasta:
Be... :Rasta:
FUN!!!!! :Rasta:

Thanks again for the experienced advice.:thanks:

Sounds great Bend. You are setting up a nice space.
Save some coin and don't buy a second air pump. If you get a big enough one they can handle a LOT of lines. just get a manifold to split the air flow after it leaves the pump. They are sold anywhere the pumps are sold.

Good luck and have fun!

Yo guy the spaces look super You guys are good. :goodjob: I remember back someone asked about making a custom cover for their rez. I did these drum pots so it would look kool in my kitchen.My wife loves her outdoor growing and finally got her to do a Little indoor herb garden. I am a dirt guy all the way but after seeing you two motherf----n clowns at work how can I not make the change. So as you probably have guessed I'm using this to learn to doit the skootdiddy's way.
I used a piece of lexan 1/2 thick cut it in a circle with a band saw and hole sawed 2" holes actually 1 7/8" hold neo plugs and also a 2" net pot.
After making cover i flipped it over and scuffed it with 320 sand paper and put 8 coats of that plastic..... giggy paint stuff. I only did 3 on one and I ended up using sign vinyl works good. Just got that LED bloomboss 90watt
the thing rocks.
Its april its all most ready for summer.
Oh yah Whats the rest I have a 190 gph pump and ....i dont know count the 360degree srayers in 1/2 cpvc with a 2 gal bucket for a rez then an overflow that goes back in the bucket afters it sprays. Thats the small one
The big one has a 295gph pump a bunch of sprayers. I raised the drain inside and put 4 air stones right under the spayers.
Ill be happy to anwer any questions. It may take a while but ill try to help my typing blows.:smokin:
Kool:peace:

Hey Scoot I'm listening to Drive By Truckers while catching up on your build. Looking and sounding strong my brothers. +reps for all the work and the helping hand you extend. Grow Strong! :peace:

hi guys...
Been doing some reading on the subject with no clear answer so I thought Id come to "Da Masters"...

What brands of bulbs do you like?

Went out and bought most of my grow room construction materials and ducting on sunday... it begins.

Thanks in advance.

Bender

I meant on this build... is there a brand of MH or HPS that you prefer or do you prefer the cheap generic ones.
I read the hortilux bulbs are great and do make a difference then someone would write they didn't make a difference.

gracias

Sorry bend...I blame the bud ;)

We are still using the same ones we got with the ballasts. They are just generic bulbs. We haven't looked into, or even gave much thought to, changing the bulbs other than having replacements available (we don't yet). We are going to be getting new ones for after the next grow. But only because we read somewhere here that the bulbs lose their effectiveness (brightness?) through age and use.

sigh..something else we'll have to look into ;)

Hey Scoot I'm listening to Drive By Truckers while catching up on your build. Looking and sounding strong my brothers. +reps for all the work and the helping hand you extend. Grow Strong! :peace:

Thanks Moustache!
Glad to have you join us. Nice to meet a fellow DBT fan as well :thumb:

Oh there was some shit goin' down in Skooterville today!

The new build is coming quickly to completion.
Today we did a lot of finish work on the punch list. We wired the GFI outlet and fished the line to down to the circuit panel. We couldn't find the right brand breaker at our local Lowe's or HD and the 2 electric supply houses that use to be in my town have either closed up or moved out of town. Slappy has a line on getting the right breaker so that final connection will have to wait until next week.

We completed the connection for the exhaust system. A quick connect in the ceiling and patching the hole. Sanding and painting is all that is left to clean that up.

We finished wrapping the 2 rooms with the panda film and connected the zippers for the doors etc.

Ran the lighting wires up and out via the ceiling.

We figure that we should be done and ready after one more day attacking the punch list.

some shots of the progress.

DSC012884.JPG

DSC012911.JPG

DSC012941.JPG

DSC012982.JPG

DSC012992.JPG

our re vegging crystal is getting so big we had no choice but to take some clones..

We had to come up with a quick clone machine and this is what we ended up with..after these root we will more than likely reduce the number of spray heads as 9 seems to be over kill...

DSC02540.JPG

DSC025411.JPG

DSC02542.JPG

DSC025431.JPG

DSC025441.JPG

lookin good guys.

Is the cloner just made with a water pump and micro sprinklers from home depot?

I dont see a suction for the cloner pump... is there one in there?

BTW... what chems do you like for cloning?

thanks

Bendy

Back
Top Bottom