Skybound's Journal

My days are always good when I accomplish the things I set out to. The soil is tossed and wet, all the lights are lit. That floor is curling up on me, but I can tolerate that for a few more weeks then maybe get a floating tongue and groove floor, but all in all, I love it compared to the 3 smaller rooms.

How bout you, how's Dank's day?
My day was busy at work. Then I was able to see my grandkids for dinner. Always cool to see them. I'm just glad it's the weekend! Even though it's going to be busy catching up on stuff at home

My day was busy at work. Then I was able to see my grandkids for dinner. Always cool to see them. I'm just glad it's the weekend! Even though it's going to be busy catching up on stuff at home

A family man is a blessed man!

All lit up.jpg
man that is beautiful sky I love your new set up I knew I would look at all that room in there its nice to have room to move around your going to be getting some good crops from there great job buddy!

man that is beautiful sky I love your new set up I knew I would look at all that room in there its nice to have room to move around your going to be getting some good crops from there great job buddy!

I'm hoping so, because it cost me pretty much everything to go this route, so you know I hope my efforts and investments weren't in vain. As for being roomy, only the first 4' is room, but with them COBs dangling so low, I have to be carful not to stand up too quick or I might crack a reflector or possibly break a COB which I presume would kill the whole circuit. I think maybe I should stay on my knees when I go in there.

I'm hoping so, because it cost me pretty much everything to go this route, so you know I hope my efforts and investments weren't in vain. As for being roomy, only the first 4' is room, but with them COBs dangling so low, I have to be carful not to stand up too quick or I might crack a reflector or possibly break a COB which I presume would kill the whole circuit. I think maybe I should stay on my knees when I go in there.
sounds like you need a hard hat and knee pads at the door:laugh:I love that set up you have there I would likely have to many plants and it would be crowded lol I think the lithothamnium is doing for me what your wanting to achive with your mineral mix this is the first grow that i havent had any def issues that stuff works im thinking of buying a 5 lb. bag of it would last me a long time im going to reuse my soil and the litho will just be getting broke down so it should be a better grow your stuff is looking nice bud! :)

sounds like you need a hard hat and knee pads at the door:laugh:I love that set up you have there I would likely have to many plants and it would be crowded lol I think the lithothamnium is doing for me what your wanting to achive with your mineral mix this is the first grow that i havent had any def issues that stuff works im thinking of buying a 5 lb. bag of it would last me a long time im going to reuse my soil and the litho will just be getting broke down so it should be a better grow your stuff is looking nice bud! :)

Where did you get the lithothamnium from?

Pretty pretty pretty room Sky..

Just my 2 cent? The floor?
I think one of the most notable changes I even seen in a grow room was when my hardwood floor get covered with a white linoleum. Man the bounce back lite it produces is impressive.

So you going to do away with the HID? You sure have plenty of lights going up in there and LED are coming out in their own right,,
but if it was me,,, remember I'm the one whos never even grown with LEDs yet and I'm a Old Dog....... but I'd install this instead,, as long as heat isn't a factor. I use mine during the cooler months, then switch her out. You ever want to light up a whole city block get a MH bulb and no hood at night. Man this thing is like a sun with a proper hood. She does put out heat.. Not as much as one wood think but more than a 1000 watt does.

1500 Watt Master Blaster Electronic Ballast

But she's a beautiful setup. It's nice to have alittle room to work and turn around in there. Really makes it nice when you got alot of strains that need different spacing.. And yet, still, enough room that if you wanted to to do a serious flip,, it'll produce well. Looking forward to seeing it budded out..

WOW I just saw the price, has to be a mistake.. 450? market.

Looking great Skybound. I have to admit that the comment about working on your knees makes me cringe. I’d probably do it that way too, till my back and knees blew out- then consider creating a narrow alleyway space or two in there to travel through upright, or maybe set up a couple lights so that they are easily retracted upwards, to create a walkway. Nothin you haven’t thought about already I’m sure.
Re the low yields of the last while, messing around with nutrient mixes- your pain is everybody’s gain dude- so thanks for that. I’ve learned a huge amount of stuff from you in the last year. :thumb:

Oh yeah I was wondering- what system do you have for sealed doorway(s)?

Pretty pretty pretty room Sky..

Just my 2 cent? The floor?
I think one of the most notable changes I even seen in a grow room was when my hardwood floor get covered with a white linoleum. Man the bounce back lite it produces is impressive.

So you going to do away with the HID? You sure have plenty of lights going up in there and LED are coming out in their own right,,
but if it was me,,, remember I'm the one whos never even grown with LEDs yet and I'm a Old Dog....... but I'd install this instead,, as long as heat isn't a factor. I use mine during the cooler months, then switch her out. You ever want to light up a whole city block get a MH bulb and no hood at night. Man this thing is like a sun with a proper hood. She does put out heat.. Not as much as one wood think but more than a 1000 watt does.

1500 Watt Master Blaster Electronic Ballast

But she's a beautiful setup. It's nice to have alittle room to work and turn around in there. Really makes it nice when you got alot of strains that need different spacing.. And yet, still, enough room that if you wanted to to do a serious flip,, it'll produce well. Looking forward to seeing it budded out..

WOW I just saw the price, has to be a mistake.. 450? market.

When I had the little 4x4ish rooms, I put OSB down as a flooring and the linoleum didn't slide, but when I made this room, I forgot to put down hard flooring, so the linoleum slid on the carpet and now it's bunching up. The new plan is to suck it up till I can afford to get a floating composite hard floor and snap it together right on top. Once it's down, I can restaple the sides to the walls and retape it all nice.

IDK why you meant by 450 market? On another thread someone turned me onto a Mars Hydro TS3000 fixture that is 450 watts that I am leaning towards, it costs about $440 I think.

Love the new room Sky! It's going to produce for you!

Thanks Stone, it is nice and spacious in there so I have lots of wiggle room. As to it producing well, that will require me to stay on my veg game and keep them healthy and the roots very comfortable. FWIW, every time I pot up, the roots are as white as I ever saw despite the very black dirt. The roots are down right loving it in there. I'm fairly confident that when reverse engineering the brix soil and drenches, that I got them all really close. As soon as I get the remaining hydro plants chopped, I will begin playing around with emulating the Cat drench which is supposed to trigger a defensive reaction that also grows out the trics. That, the screw technique, MeJa in the foliar sprays and perhaps the soil drying method if it'll work w/o drying down too far.

Looking great Skybound. I have to admit that the comment about working on your knees makes me cringe. I’d probably do it that way too, till my back and knees blew out- then consider creating a narrow alleyway space or two in there to travel through upright, or maybe set up a couple lights so that they are easily retracted upwards, to create a walkway. Nothin you haven’t thought about already I’m sure.
Re the low yields of the last while, messing around with nutrient mixes- your pain is everybody’s gain dude- so thanks for that. I’ve learned a huge amount of stuff from you in the last year. :thumb:

Oh yeah I was wondering- what system do you have for sealed doorway(s)?

Thanks brother, your words are comforting indeed! I wish I was unable to figure exactly why my yields plummeted though. It would have been nice to know if it was pheno related or something in the feed. Having finished my hydros with a Megacrop emulation, I'm confident that my genetics are just too far separated from the original seed stock and the phenos have drifted away from what they once were. Shit, my PC was once known for thick branches, now it grows like my old OG Kush with 6" of branch between each golf ball bud.

My door is the same method I had on my old rooms and now with veg where I have a doorway cut into the 1/8" thick hardboard, then when I cut the panda film opening, I was able to fold it over that hardboard doorway and tape it down to the smooth side. Once that was done, I lined the circumference with velcro, then cut a piece of Panda film to be 6" larger on each dimension, then carefully apply that piece to the exposed sticky side of the velcro to set it evenly. After that, the doorway piece that was cut out of the hardboard I fashioned a handle on it and use it to cover the panda film seal. To keep that piece pressed down for the dark hours, I designed/printed some spin latch handles with offsetting lobes. Then as a triple redundancy, I put a much larger piece of Panda on the outside. Here, I'll snap a few pics for ya.

Triple Redundancy.jpg
Screw Hanger.jpg
Latch Press.jpg

I can stand up after I pass under the COBs, but then standing up must be done carefully which is costly to the knee fluid. Hard knee pads might be in my future, lol. Maybe even a scoot cart or something? IDK, necessity will reveal to me what is needed.

Looks like a good system. I used to use those tape on zippers you can buy for plastic, one of them on each side, and you can unzip a whole section of plastic.

There’s a product called shelf liner or friction cloth that you can buy cheap at a dollar store. Put that stuff down and nothing will slide around on it.

There’s a product called shelf liner or friction cloth that you can buy cheap at a dollar store. Put that stuff down and nothing will slide around on it.

I wish I knew this prior to bulding the room, but it would not be possible for me to empty out the room now to lift up the floor to put something under. Now my only option is to move plants out of the way and put in sections of hard flooring and Tetris my way to completion.

I was talking about that link I gave ya... Said they had ballasts for 150$ I was going to pop on a backup. They list about 450$ for a 1500 watter HID Ballast

I was talking about that link I gave ya... Said they had ballasts for 150$ I was going to pop on a backup. They list about 450$ for a 1500 watter HID Ballast

Damn that's about what I paid for my HID fixture, ballast and bulbs, $150. My HID days are over. I'm just using this one for a few months till I can afford a large quantum board, then the HID goes back into storage or whatever. LEDs seem to do a bit less in yields, but they cost less to run and I don't have to worry none in the summer months which is important. Also, HID bulbs only last like 6-12 months whereas the LEDs will last about 5-10 years if I understand that right. I'm only driving my COBs to less than half of their capability so they will last a long time. Don't you have LEDs now collecting dust?

Yea I got acouple. collecting dust. One day I plan on using them, but for now,, they are part-timers. Only summer months..

Something went wrong with these 2 little shit machines. There's an Em Dog and a Glue, and I neglected to allow the soil to dry, so the roots never grew and the plants never grew. I bet I get less than an ounce from each. The buds are all so small and under developed. the 30th of this month will be 9 weeks of 12/12, lol.
2 Little Shits.jpg

Here si also another growing pain of mine. This is the PC that is in the rev 1 soil mix which I knew was improperly amended, but I mixed anyways just to finish the 30 day cook time timely. I estimate 2 ounces from it, but I'm very curious how the smoke will compare to the other Pineapple Chunk that is of identical age as the much much larger one that is still in the rockwool and being fed emulated Megacrop. I really doubt that the quality will be that much better, but I'll remain open minded. FWIW, ^those 2 and this one are the only plants that I would say are doing bad. The rest appear to be doing good, likely because I'm letting the soils get much drier.
Soil PC.jpg

And finally, here is the final hydro plant, scheduled to be chopped on or after New Years Day. I hope to finish my hydro growing with a nice even pound of dry buds and this Em Dog definitely is expressing the potential to do that. As soon as I chop the above PC and the bigger hydro PC, this Em Dog will get moved under the HID and I'll lower the hood enough to get some good radiation onto her. It's only a 600w HID, cheapo brand with a hortilux bulb, but it has a few months of use prior to be put into storage, so I doubt it's burning the brightest.
Big Em Dog.jpg

Just growing pains. Are those plastic liners of the soft pots? Probably has some drainage yet those pots are designed to self trim roots when it meets the fabric. I run softies and they are a true hurdle to water. Hurts every one of my runs but I have limited demand for the produce.

Just growing pains. Are those plastic liners of the soft pots? Probably has some drainage yet those pots are designed to self trim roots when it meets the fabric. I run softies and they are a true hurdle to water. Hurts every one of my runs but I have limited demand for the produce.

I now use contractor bags cut in half, so one bag will line 2 10 gal pots. I read on the DBHBB thread that the fabric pots are not recommended. I have air pots, but I don't like them and will stay with the fabric pots with plastic liners. The good thing about the liners is that they are like a built-in bib, so I can water very carelessly and none will spill out the sides, lol. I still have good bottom drainage from the fab pots, but the brixxers recommend using plastic pots.

Back
Top Bottom