Skylining: My Guide To Cannabis Training Featuring Blue Gelato 41 & Pink Kush

TriangleCheese

Greetings to you fellow growers :welcome:

I have been planning to share this method for some time and finally I have enough free time to do so. There is nothing new or groundbreaking here but my personal approach to plant training. Any grower can come up with this idea and probably lots of other growers will train their plants by doing whatever is working for them best at the end of this journal. Let me explain how this works and why this is the best way to train cannabis in my condition :cough:

I have a very limited space to grow and I need to get the maximum yield out of my plants. I am trying to grow big indoor plants and this can be tricky if you got a small growing space like me. I call this method Skylining because the final structure of your plant looks like a city view full of tall buildings, in our case colas.

Lets talk about how I start. I want to stretch my plant in early veg. to begin with this method. I don't let lower parts grow until the plant reaches a certain height. At that point I top the plant and have two main nodes. One of my previous grows was a Gorilla Zkittlez and I trained this plant with this method in veg. Here is how a Skylined plant looks when it comes to topping phase;

Pretty stretched huh? Plant stretch faster when you trim all the sidebranches. I only leave the crown growing upwards. That means your plant needs to produce less plant tissue to achieve that height. In late veg. your plant will have a huge woody stem to support itself in everyway but until that phase, you might want to support your plant with a SCROG net or other stuff. After topping, I start filling the SCROG net and here is how that phase looks on my current grow with Purple Punch;

After filling the SCROG net, I let the sidebranches grow upwards. I didn't have much time with Purple Punch but I will trim everything except the strong sidebranches on this journal. High RH can cause molds and this kind of plants just hold too much water and keep the RH levels very high inside my grow tents. Proper air circulation is a must when you are Skylining and you need to achieve that by lots of trimming. Here is how my Purple Punch was in that phase;

After waiting for some vertical growth I flip the lights and start the blooming period. I still use veg. nutes to promote stretch and I apply Light Addict's Tip Spreading technique to stack nodes closer as the branches stretch. After observing first signs of blooming, I switch to bloom nutrients. Here is how my PP looked like in this phase;

Because I was too lazy to trim and properly train this plant, I had to do a trimming session last week. I don't usually trim my plants in 6th week of flowering as you guys can guess. I won't be doing the same mistake in this journal and achieve this kind of look without trimming my plant on mid and late bloom weeks;

These were the basics about Skylining. Now I will try to demonstrate this method using two of my baby plants. We got a Blue Gelato #41 and a Pink Kush, each in coco. They are under crappy LED's now but I will move them in 3x3 tents after harvesting my Super Silver and Purple Punch. You can visit that journal too and enjoy some nice harvest pictures in two weeks. Let me give some information about the setup for this journal;

I will be using three tents for this journal.

-Around 450W of Quantum Boards(3000K) in a 3x3 tent
-2x Viparspectra R300's + 100W crappy DIY COB LED module in a 3x3 tent
-Around 90W of crappy DIY COB LED module in a 2x2 tent for early veg.
-10gal. fabric pots with coco coir and perlite mix.
-General Hydroponics Flora Coco Grow and Bloom to be used with Mykos, Cannazym and some bloom boosters. I will probably go with AN Big Bud(not the coco version). I might finish with GH Ripen and Florakleen.
-Fans for air circulation and carbon filtering.
-SCROG nets.

Genetics;

BLUE GELATO 41™ Cannabis Seeds Specifications
Type: Feminised
Photoperiod: Normal
Cultivation: Indoor/outdoor
Genetics: Blueberry x Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies x Sunset Sherbert
Effect: Clear headed, Energetic
Flowering Time (days): 63 - 70
Indica %: 60%
Sativa %: 40%

PINK KUSH™ Cannabis Seeds Specifications
Type: Feminised
Photoperiod: Normal
Cultivation: Indoor/outdoor
Genetics: OG KUSH HYBRID
Effect: Sleepy, Sensual
Flowering Time (days): 55 - 65
Indica %: 80%
Sativa %: 20%

Thats all for now guys. Plants are in early veg. now and we will watch them Skylined together. Any advise or comment is welcomed. It will definately be a lots of fun and buds:passitleft:

I’ll put up a chair and watch the show

Welcome aboard mate. Good thing to have a front seat right :passitleft:

I'm in and I'll give this a try on my next run.

Great to hear that and welcome aboard mate :passitleft: We will reach the sky together :laughtwo:

I will be very glad if you guys can post your Skylining pictures here too, no matter how small your plants are. Then we can discuss and try to find out what will work best for every different condition we'll have. More people will be interested and benefit from Skylining then. Also the method itself will be improved by your suggestions and ideas.

Peace :roorrip:

Hey TC, firstly, before seeing this journal I had never hear tell of “skylining” or some of the other various training techniques that have popped up in the last few years.

Being on the road so much for work, it’s only been since Xmas this year (took leave) that I have been able to do anything more than a wild jungle indoor grow in about 4 years lol

I have always topped and train to some degree but as time is always at a premium and being away for days , sometimes weeks at a time, the grows always get away from me lol They end up looking more like some horror show jungle than a nice neat tree lol

This time around, as I have time, I am running 18 Blue Dream in 10gal pots. All plants were topped once and 4 limbs left. After the first week of flip, the bottom 1/3 of the plant was striped. Now as I want the tops supported and relatively evenly spaced, but hate nets, I have an adjustable rack set up that has 1/4” rod running the length of the tent spaced at 8” apart, but can add more rod if I feel I need it, so I would guess this approach would be a hybrid of what the boys are calling “quadlining” and your approach.

A few pictures of my setup

B7B52A68-816E-4119-A17C-3E70DC771AD8.jpeg

FCD7691C-1C67-46EE-A0C0-55738BADE523.jpeg

Gonna follow along on your training. I grow with height restrictions and only have about 3 feet from the top of the pot to the light so they are only 2-2 1/2 feet tall. Here's one I currently have going.
About a month ago just showing the base.
Current a few weeks into 12/12

Welcome aboard mate :passitleft: Your fine small grow reminded me my old days experimenting on small spaces :bravo:

I think you achieved a great training in that space. I'm guessing that she's been flowering for at least 14-15 days since you said that the plant is a few weeks into flowering. I wouldn't expect a stretch after that point but it is not guaranteed. In your case everything looks fine to me. Your plant is very dense and compact. Distance between lights and canopy looks fine. My only suggestion would be trimming the tops a little for the last time and spreading the branches a little bit wider to get more light into the plant. These small nugs make fair contribution to overall yield. I think your plant can overcome that much stress and you won't notice any bad stuff at all.

Keep posting please. You got a pleasent plant to watch :passitleft:

Welcome aboard mate :passitleft: Your fine small grow reminded me my old days experimenting on small spaces :bravo:

I think you achieved a great training in that space. I'm guessing that she's been flowering for at least 14-15 days since you said that the plant is a few weeks into flowering. I wouldn't expect a stretch after that point but it is not guaranteed. In your case everything looks fine to me. Your plant is very dense and compact. Distance between lights and canopy looks fine. My only suggestion would be trimming the tops a little for the last time and spreading the branches a little bit wider to get more light into the plant. These small nugs make fair contribution to overall yield. I think your plant can overcome that much stress and you won't notice any bad stuff at all.

Keep posting please. You got a pleasent plant to watch :passitleft:
Thanks :passitleft: she's due for her final trim. Trying to contain her to her 2x2 section of the tent so cant really bend her out much more.

Hey TC, firstly, before seeing this journal I had never hear tell of “skylining” or some of the other various training techniques that have popped up in the last few years.

Being on the road so much for work, it’s only been since Xmas this year (took leave) that I have been able to do anything more than a wild jungle indoor grow in about 4 years lol

I have always topped and train to some degree but as time is always at a premium and being away for days , sometimes weeks at a time, the grows always get away from me lol They end up looking more like some horror show jungle than a nice neat tree lol

This time around, as I have time, I am running 18 Blue Dream in 10gal pots. All plants were topped once and 4 limbs left. After the first week of flip, the bottom 1/3 of the plant was striped. Now as I want the tops supported and relatively evenly spaced, but hate nets, I have an adjustable rack set up that has 1/4” rod running the length of the tent spaced at 8” apart, but can add more rod if I feel I need it, so I would guess this approach would be a hybrid of what the boys are calling “quadlining” and your approach.

A few pictures of my setup

B7B52A68-816E-4119-A17C-3E70DC771AD8.jpeg

FCD7691C-1C67-46EE-A0C0-55738BADE523.jpeg

Welcome aboard mate :passitleft:

You got a nice grow there and yes the community is very familiar with this type of growing since @Asesino85 :Namaste: came up with a nice journal about "Quadlining". I am also a fan of Quadlining and I ocasionally 6 or 8lining as well :laughtwo:

You got the lower parts stripped and that is also what I prefer. Having nets or rods help so I wish you can try not to hate your rod rack as much as you hate nets :peace:

I am sure you will get a fine yield from that grow. It's good to have a nice air circulation but it is also good to have plants stripped like you did, to make room for that air to circulate.

Keep posting mate. I wish you good luck on your grow :passitleft:

Good to hear that. I can totally understand and its allright to keep her that way because the structure looks great. If high RH is not an issue everything should work just as good :passitleft:
Rh is always low 30s fortunately so no worry about moldy buds later on. I'll get a pic of her in the tent later to show what I'm working with for space.

Welcome aboard mate. Good thing to have a front seat right :passitleft:

Great to hear that and welcome aboard mate :passitleft: We will reach the sky together :laughtwo:

I will be very glad if you guys can post your Skylining pictures here too, no matter how small your plants are. Then we can discuss and try to find out what will work best for every different condition we'll have. More people will be interested and benefit from Skylining then. Also the method itself will be improved by your suggestions and ideas.

Peace :roorrip:
It’s going to be awhile for me. I’ve still got 9 weeks or so on my current grow and it’s already in SCROG. I need to build a taller net which I’ve been planning to do anyway. So this will be my motivation. I’m going to do 4 different strains on my next run. I’ll probably plant those seeds in about 5 or 6 weeks. I have another tent I can veg them in.

Rh is always low 30s fortunately so no worry about moldy buds later on. I'll get a pic of her in the tent later to show what I'm working with for space.

How lucky of you. That plant will kick some ass for sure then. Also it'll be great to see your tent in detail.

It’s going to be awhile for me. I’ve still got 9 weeks or so on my current grow and it’s already in SCROG. I need to build a taller net which I’ve been planning to do anyway. So this will be my motivation. I’m going to do 4 different strains on my next run. I’ll probably plant those seeds in about 5 or 6 weeks. I have another tent I can veg them in.

We have time so no worries. I am also waiting for vacancy in my big tents. We'll ride almost together :passitleft:

I thought I can cheer this thread up with some random images. Look what I did a couple of days ago;

This is a glass/shatter type of extract. It feels pretty solid and it breaks when you poke with the tip of your knife after putting these babies inside the fridge. This extraction was an on the fly experiment and I discovered something new. Or at least something new to me but I haven't seen anybody doing that.

I was trimming Purple Punch for the last time and my hands were sticky as hell. I poured some grain alcohol in a small coffee cup and dipped my hands into it. I waited 5-10 seconds for both hands in the same cup. After that I poured that alcohol in some cooking paper and let it evaporate.

After that I scraped what is left and got around 0.3 grams of that extract. All of that came from my hands plus I got them cleaned :blunt:

This experiment was a successful one because we all have trouble with sticky hands on the harvest day and looking for the best way to collect the trichomes stuck on our hands. I used to collect them by carving with a hot knife, the classic Charas method. This is waaaay easier than that and the final product is slightly more potent than Charas. Only downside of course is that Charas always taste better than any extract. I will definately carve my hands with that hot knife and collect 1-2 joints worth of Charas. Then I can wash my hands with ethanol and collect whats left on the cooking paper.

The extract tasted almost same like BHO but had some Charas undertones too. Potency was no less than BHO shatter and the color was slightly darker. It definately has some chlorophyll but I don't think anyone can taste that residual amount. I am sure that this is an extract for all purposes including vape pens.

I might start another journal on this method to experiment how Ethanol performs with kief and other stuff. Also I'll get detailed pictures explaining how I wash my hands with ethanol when harvesting my Purple Punch.

Hope you guys give this a try on your harvest times. Cheers :roorrip:

Hey mate, if the colour in the first picture was true colour, then you had no, or extremely little, chlorophyll in there. The reason for the darker colour and the charas undertones is there are more terpenes in alcohol based concentrates than in BHO.

Thanks for the great insight mate. Really appriciated :passitleft:

I just can't get sick of that Charas taste. The color was actually a tiny bit lighter. I bet I can get good results evaporating kief-ethanol mixture.

I think that the best part of this experiment is how easy I got my hands clean. Back in the day, I showed up in classes or workplace smelling like a plant :ganjamon: Some people approached to me and advised not to go indoors so now I got used to calling in sick on the next day of harvest :laugh:

I am back with the first trim of this journal. Plants are in early veg. and they weren't in the tent for a while. I also moved the lights further from the canopy to get some extra stretch. They don't have great root systems now but I am expecting them to take of in a few days. They were busy producing sidebranches and I cut them(4 sidebranch per plant) all. I want my plants to focus on vertical height for now.

Cheers :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom