Slammy Pajammy's Indoor Organic Supersoil Ladies, 2019! 2nd Ever!

Slammy Pajama

Hey everybody! Long-time lurker, first-time journaler! I'm looking to try and give back to the community that I have intermittently participated in for the duration of my first grow! I'm not a hugely organised guy, so I wasn't keeping a very consistent (physical) grow journal for my first grow! But I am committing to documenting this second one (and hopefully get in the habit of subsequent grows as well!) so that I can better understand this magnificent plant and the way she grows, as well as hopefully provide a good source of information for other growers to pull from. This forum has been INVALUABLE and helped guide me through most of my first grow, which is currently about 3 weeks into flower and looking amazing :yummy:. Can't wait to try my first batch of homegrown, organic, beautiful lovelies! Alright, I digress... enough waffling and on to the good stuff :goof:

20190818_191323.jpg

THE CAB:

-I'm currently growing inside a largeish cabinet that I've converted for the cause, sealed up all the cracks and potential light leaks, covered the inside in mylar, and reamed an intake hole into the backside, exhaust hole in the ceiling.
-Dimensions: 1.8m tall, 1.1m wide, .5m deep
-6" Phresh silenced fan ducted to exhaust hole, with a mondo 6" carbon filter and cranked down to about 50% power; probably running about 130-170 cfm
-Thermometer/Hygrometer with memory functions
-I do have two tiny USB fans mounted either side, to give a little airflow onto the canopy of my ladies, but I will probably switch them to a decent sized oscillating fan once I am finished this grow and ready to muck about with adjusting the cab some more!

THE MEDIUM:

-30L Fabric Pots
-Soil is a mix of 50L Canna Professional, roughly 25L Canna Professional Plus Coir, 25L supersoil compost mix from local hydro distributor here in aus, and about 20L of additional perlite, let cook for a little over 8 weeks, and then grew my first grow through!
-Has been topped up a few times with fresh EWC
-Maintained a cover crop of alfalfa/white & red clover for nitrogen fixation, and so I could clip it back as a bit of a mulch throughout veg (although I've smothered it out with the EWC now that I'm in flower)

THE LIGHT: (I'm a huge LED fan!)

-Previously was using a Viparspectra dimmable PAR450 through veg of the last grow, and it was really good, but there are newer tech LED's that I thought could do a little more justice to the size of my space! Probably will set up a slightly separate space to veg things that are not taking up the cab, as it only realistically fits 2 good sized plants in my 30L pots and I'd like to start a more perpetual grow than just what's in the cab
-Currently have the cab outfitted with a QBL 2 from Quick Bloom Lights; 277 true watts draw, really good-looking spectrum from a mix of quantum boards and COBs, and it fits almost exactly the width of my cab so my footprint now covers virtually every inch of the cab from left to right!:slide: Have only been running it for roughly 4 weeks, just before the switch to flower, but I'm loving the results so far!!

I currently have some White Widow and Girl Scout Cookies Extreme feminized seeds from ILoveGrowingMarijuana.com, and have been super happy with the results thus far! Although I haven't gotten to actually smoke any of it yet, the genetics seem strong and have been pretty easy to grow, even for a first-time newbie like me!

My main goal is to cook up a soil that does not need additional nutrients fed during the life of the plant, aside from maybe a little Calcium or Magnesium (If you haven't come across Emilya's DIY CalMag+ Thread, it is a fantastic read, I highly recommend!!). But it looks like our new house has a reasonable amount of magnesium in the tap water (I water with tap water that has been left to sit out for a couple days to offgas the small amount of chlorine present), and I haven't been having issues with Calcium as of late, so here is hoping there has been enough made bioavailable by my microherd to make the second grow go smooth!

I had some issues with Calcium in my first grow, and I am realising now that I should have been focusing more on boosting the microbe populations with aerated compost teas and the like, instead of the liquid dolomite lime I jumped to (toxic for the little microbeasties! Caused way more problems than the initial one I was trying to fix!) However, I have now been able to invest in a huge range of organic dry amendments for specifically culturing my AACT, as well as amending the soil as needed, and have saved up a good amount of eggshells to do another round of Emilya's DIY CalMag! Thanks Em! :thumb:

Anyway, sorry for the wall of thread! I will hopefully try and keep the updates rolling out (I am aiming for a few times a week, and I am obsessed enough that this should be doable when I am not away from home for work!). Thanks to everybody here in this amazing community who has been with me through the duration of my first grow, and I am excited to be diving headlong into the world of organic gardening alongside everybody here!

Jump in with questions/comments/concerns as you see fit, and I will do my best to learn and answer any questions, or point people in the direction of others who can help with the things I don't know! Love being a part of this community! :high-five:

2 New seeds (1 each of the White Widow and the Girl Scout Cookies Ex.) just getting soaked today in paper towels, and hopefully I can get them sprouted and ready to transition into the cab by the time my current ladies are getting the axe! Here are some bonus pics of the "3-week since 12/12 flip" girls, I'll keep the thread going with updates of them through the rest of flower before we start in hard and fresh with the new ladies! Thanks for joining me along this exciting journey!

White Widow:

20190818_191235.jpg
20190818_191242.jpg
20190818_191245.jpg
20190818_191255.jpg

Girl Scout Cookie Extreme

20190818_191148.jpg
20190818_191230.jpg
20190818_191210.jpg
20190816_191642.jpg

Thanks for joining me on this journey, silverfox!! :ciao: super excited to have a detailed journal here to take me from start to finish of these next seeds! Can't wait for these babies to pop out! :'D although i REALLY wish i had some sativa seeds! Will probably be buying some chocolope and super lemon haze next time i get around to buying seeds... I'm not even finished with my first plants and I'm already addicted to home growing! :morenutes:

So I decided to grind up some malted barley grain and a small amount of both soy meal and high p. guano to top dress both ladies with. The thinking being that the malted barley grain will provide some enzyme and flowering hormones, the soy meal for a small bit of potassium and to pad out the top dress, and the guano to try and encourage a boost in the microbes that will break down my phosphorus-providing amendments already present in the soil to help maintain phosphorus availability for the plants as they wish. Why not give it a whirl, right? I've got all these dry amendments lying around to play with :slide:

20190819_181207.jpg
20190819_181200.jpg

Spread some of my mix across the top of both, and gave each of them 2L water with 5 mL Canna Bio Boost. First time trying the BioBoost, we'll see how they like it! I've had it lying around since the start of the grow, but was hesitating to use it after going full supersoil and trying to feed the soil not the plants. I think the boost still kind of falls in that category though, so hopefully I'm not committing a crime against the community :D

I’m not sure how they compare but I’ve used fox farms nutrients with supersoil late in flower and had no ill effects. The beautiful thing about super soil is it usually can last all through flower but if you feel you need some nutrients I wouldn’t hesitate

Looking fantastic!!!

I’m not sure how they compare but I’ve used fox farms nutrients with supersoil late in flower and had no ill effects. The beautiful thing about super soil is it usually can last all through flower but if you feel you need some nutrients I wouldn’t hesitate

Looking fantastic!!!

Thanks, my friend! The bio boost is a fermented plant extract meant to be paired with Canna's Bio Flores line of organic nutes during flower, which i had bought before doing some more research and deciding to go TRUE organic and feeding the soil instead of the plants. It's supposed to be a boost of hormones and things to make your plants grow better flowers/fruits alongside whatever nutrients they are actually getting (these things always sound a bit snake oil-y, dont they?) But i figured, i bought it, why not give it a try?

Girl Scout Cookie looking good! (Her name is Top Bitch, or TB, cuz she was the biggest and fastest of 4 initially!)

20190819_184054.jpg
20190819_184045.jpg

I'm getting a bit of purple on a few bigger fan leaves, Just between the veins. Not sure if its just because she is a strain that can get purple and my night temps have been getting a lil cold at 12-13 degrees Celsius sometimes, or if its the start of a deficiency, or even just the start of her ditching her leaves as she progresses through flower. But its not enough that I'm too worried yet :nervous-guy:
20190819_184243.jpg

20190819_184040.jpg
20190819_184032.jpg

IT HAS BEGUN!! :yahoo:

My second GSC seed popped out of her lil shell after a 24 hour soak!! So after a soaking and prepping my peat puck, I've put some mycorrhizal inoculant into the seed hole and on the taproot, planted her shallowly into my peat, and am now anxiously awaiting the signs that my perpetual grow is going to be successfully underway! :'D white widow seed has yet to rear her head beneath her paper towel hat... we'll check in on them both again tomorrow :thumb:

Now to sort out this dry winter humidity so i don't dessicate these poor young ladies :eek:

20190819_203848.jpg

Quick Update:

Temps in cab: 17-24 degrees Celsius

RH: around 37 % :eek: (lil dry for being this early in flower, but it's so damn hard to raise humidity this time of year without a serious humidifier. Putting it on the list i guess)

GSC #2 hasnt broken ground yet after planting yesterday, but she's still got time. Put a sprayed jar over her to try and give her a bit more humidity! WW #2 still hasnt sprouted after 48 hours soaking... might be time to grab another seed. I'll check again tomorrow evening and if no luck, ill start soaking another seed with her

20190820_183854.jpg

Both girls look like they appreciated the bio boost and water yesterday, although it's hard to tell cuz im so excited every time i look in there, that they always look better to me xD. I feel like they are fatter though, and some nice definition happening on the white widow! She no longer just looks like a bunch of white hairs! Should i be seeing pistils starting to brown already in week 3? Or are lights maybe too close? I've got them at roughly 18", although they are more powerful than the lights they had in veg. I should prolly double check since they've been growing so much so quickly. They look happy otherwise! No leaf curl or anything else

Girl Scout Cookie (so sparkly!) :drool:
20190820_183931.jpg
20190820_183943.jpg
20190820_183952.jpg

White Widow

20190820_183914.jpg
20190820_183919.jpg
20190820_183925.jpg

More purple on the girl scout than yesterday, but my instinct from most of the research around is that this is just the beginning of her funky fall flower colours... cool! :yahoo: i like me some pretty multicolored flowers :hippy:

20190820_181738.jpg
20190820_181732.jpg
20190820_181728.jpg

Quick Update:
-Temps: 17-25 degrees Celsius today
-RH 35-40%

Plants are still looking good! Nothing too new or extremely different, they are just looking satisfying :yummy:. Trying to keep a running update so I can refer back to temps and humidity in future grows. I don't know how I'm supposed to wait another like, 4-6 weeks if they be looking so good! :thedoubletake: I've been dry for like, 4 months? Had some decent connects before I moved, but then work transferred me like 5 hours away and its been dry ever since :'(. But hopefully once these come down, ill have enough to last till the next grow finishes, and the perpetually will be cemented! :yahoo: just gotta hide most of it from my girlfriend, so it doesn't all go up in smoke while I'm at work... xD. I'm so excited to have dabs!!! :lot-o-toke: anyway... rantings over... let's get to some pics!!

Girl Scout Cookie:

20190821_181343.jpg

20190821_181408.jpg
20190821_181513.jpg
20190821_181532.jpg

White Widow:

20190821_181312.jpg
20190821_181335.jpg
20190821_181326.jpg

GSC #2 has justttt started to be evident at the surface of the soil!! So excited! :'D hopefully she is a well established lil lady by the time these others get the chop, and I can slap her right in the cab! Hopefully i get this second white widow seed to pop too so I've got two to go in together :goodluck: wouldn't want her getting lonely, after all! Yea... that's what it is... completely selfless reasoning... :battingeyelashes:

Shitty pic, but she is probably going to spring up tomorrow and reach for the sky! Got her under a lil 36W LED propagation light for now. Can't wait to really start vegging her now that i know what I'm doing a little more, and am more comfortable knowing what to expect! :slide:

20190821_181735.jpg

You’ve got me wanting to try that GSC! Looking good. The hardest part when you get close to the end is to have patience on when to cut. You’re doing great! Do you have a microscope to look at trichs when the time comes? It would be a good time to read through a curing instruction soon too if you haven’t already.

Way to go :cheer:

You’ve got me wanting to try that GSC! Looking good. The hardest part when you get close to the end is to have patience on when to cut. You’re doing great! Do you have a microscope to look at trichs when the time comes? It would be a good time to read through a curing instruction soon too if you haven’t already.

Way to go :cheer:

Many thanks, mate!! That means a lot coming from an experienced hand like you! If you're ever anywhere near Canberra, you can come by and try some with me anytime! :passitleft: haha yea I definitely expected it to be a tough wait, although the first few weeks of flower have felt surprisingly quick because its so exciting to be watching them grow for the first time. I've seen plenty of pictures through the stages over the last few years of research, but never actually gotten to see the day-by-day development like this, just the finished product! But i know especially towards the very end, waiting and watching the trich development will be a tantalising test of patience :popcorn:

I unfortunately invested in two microscopes that were both not quite what i needed... a cheapy 100x that plugs into my computer, which is cool for recording, but has an AWFUL stand and probably is only going to be good for chopped buds, and a 60x clip-on one for my phone.... only cuz it was on sale with the other one i got, but yea mostly only good for novelty, although if i line everything up justttttt right, i might be able to see some. Although unlikely without hitting the buds with the end of the scope :eye-roll:. Ideally I'll try and find like a 30x or 45x jewellers loupe before the end and try that

That's exactly what I'm doing to distract myself until they are ready :high-five:. I've bought a bunch of mason jars to use some for fermenting foods, and am so ready to try the drying and curing! Still need some small hygrometers and maybe some boveda packs, but I've been having a TON of fun reading through Dr Ziggy and SweetSue's Fridge Drying Thread. So much good info there, and SweetSue does SO MUCH experimenting and documenting for the benefit of everybody on all the threads she participates in! :thanks: if you havent come across this thread or method yet, I highly recommend!! Its become fairly lengthy now, but gold all the way through! There's even been a lot of good info about a method using a food dehydrator that shortens drying time to around 3 days, and according to SweetSue and the others who've tried it, still rivals the low and slow Fridge dry for terpene retention! (She is convinced its better than traditional hang drying... AND quicker?? Sounds too good to be true!) So I will continue studying and reading until its my turn to try :thumb:. I Can't wait!!! :'D

WOW that was quick!! I domed GSC#2 yesterday with a large mason jar, to help with the brutally low humidity in the plant room, and in like, 18 hours she sprung all the way up to here, dropped her lil seed hat, and showed cotyledons and the very first of the true leaves... I'm hoping she will be a quick one, now that I know how moist the soil should be for seedlings and stuff! I think I kept them slightly too dry first time round, for fear of drowning them. But I feel like an expert now! Now to watch her explode with all she's got!! :) have to fly off for a day for work, so probably won't be able to update till like, Saturday :'(. Hopefully the missus will keep a close eye and make sure nothing dies while I'm away!

20190822_122016.jpg
20190822_122010.jpg

Hey you’re slamming it! There is nothing wrong with a garden full of beautiful buds, right? That GSC is mental frosty already.
And hey - we’re still on page one and I’m already learning about soil amendments n stuff. Cool :cool:

Hey you’re slamming it! There is nothing wrong with a garden full of beautiful buds, right? That GSC is mental frosty already.
And hey - we’re still on page one and I’m already learning about soil amendments n stuff. Cool :cool:

Thanks mate!! I am so keen to see how this GSC is going to turn out! And hoping that the organic grow and low and slow fridge dry will really bring out the vanilla-and-nutmeg cookies flavour she is supposed to have :drool:. I'm only just learning the nuances of growing with dry amendments, so there will be plenty more where that came from! Thanks for jumping in on this insanely fun adventure! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom