Slow bloomers or a Hermaphrodites?

Trogoliath

------------------------------------------------
Strain: Northern Lights #5 Haze Autoflower Feminized (Sensi Seeds)
Current State: 12 weeks from sprout (should be in bloom?)
Medium: Soil (PH 6-6.5)
Current Pot: Airpot 1 Gallon
Light: DiamondSeries DS200 LED
Temp: 78 F (~ 26 C)
RH: 35-50% (humidifier using RO water)
Water: RO filtered water
Watering Cycle: using lift method (almost once daily)
Nutrients: Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom (4 ml per liter) + Cal_Mag (1 ml per liter) + Liquid Karma (1 ml per liter)
Misc Info: Closet Grow w/ oscillating fan
-----------------------------------------------

I had 3 seeds sprouting at new year's (2 Northern Lights #5 Haze + 1 White Diesel Haze). The WDH suffered a stumped growth due to repotting but was harvested like 2 weeks ago (was like a little bonsai tree lol). I didn't flinch coz I had my other 2 girls going strong.

However... now I wonder if I should get worried that they're still not in bloom. Would you please take a look at the pics and give me your opinion? I must admit i have this (irrational?) fear that i'm growing hermaphrodite plants for some reason... especially with that strange popping-green growth seen mid-stem (wtf is that?!)

My LED lights has been set to pure bloom for couple weeks now (ever since my bonsai WDH was in full bloom). other than a couple non-hairy pistils, I haven't noticed much change in my 2 standing plants.

Are they late/slow bloomers and keep my smiley face on? Or should i call abort mission?

20150227_125108.jpg

20150227_130350.jpg

20150227_125138.jpg

20150227_125254.jpg

20150227_125322.jpg

20150227_125417.jpg

20150227_130340.jpg

20150227_130503.jpg

20150227_130440.jpg

Pictures 2 and 4 show pistils. Picture 7 MIGHT have some pistils, but it's out of focus.

Hermaphrodites will show signs of both sexes, meaning you'll see calyxes with pistils, as well as pollen sacs.

Not seeing any sex could be a sign that your light is too far, what is the distance from the LED to the canopy?

It also appears that your plant is growing upright, with no training. This will reduce the amount of light lower branches are exposed to, and can results in slow growth, and/or reduced yields.

I'm also seeing signs of a phosphorous deficiency, or lockout, which will usually cause a slower rate of growth as well.

Verify that your LED is the correct distance from your plant.
Verify PH of water/nutes @ 6.5, verify runoff to also read 6.5. Correct as needed.
Supplement a little more phosphorous at feedings.
Add supplemental lighting around the sides of the plant if possible.

And never rely on the breeders claim that an auto finishes in X number of days. In my experience, they have run 2 weeks+ longer than the breeder said they would.

thank you to all those who contributed; you've put this one's mind at ease :Namaste:

@ Antics: your diagnosis is on the dot. there is a Phosphorus deficiency going on and i've first attempted combating it by repotting with a better grade of soil (it's much lower now but still existent). As for the lights, I have the closet covered in mylar to help with the light penetration, though it could use more light indeed.

muchas gracias hermanos

thank you to all those who contributed; you've put this one's mind at ease :Namaste:

@ Antics: your diagnosis is on the dot. there is a Phosphorus deficiency going on and i've first attempted combating it by repotting with a better grade of soil (it's much lower now but still existent). As for the lights, I have the closet covered in mylar to help with the light penetration, though it could use more light indeed.

muchas gracias hermanos

With phosphorous, I've noticed it takes a while to go away. I still have a few red lines on some of my stems from a problem over a month ago, and I am feeding very heavy with 1/2 strength nutes DAILY (in coco). Compared to my soil grows, I'm using 2.5x more nutes on this plant, and still have the red lines. As long as the red isn't progressing, you're in good shape. If the red is slowly going away, continue what you're doing, and just be patient with it.

It looks like this plant is just growing upright and hasn't been topped, or LST'ed (low stress trained), is this correct?
You can get more bang from your buck with your LED (mine is also a smaller LED, similar to yours) by topping or FIM'ing between 4-8 weeks old, and tying down your branches to train the plant to grow short and wide, which will create an even canopy, and expose a lot more of the plant to receive light, and you'll see multiple colas.

when did you repot? that will slow her down some.

Fantastic point here too. Repotting can cause different levels of stress to plants, so definitely consider this option too!

Back
Top Bottom