Slow development of buds and colas in cold environment

stilgar11

This is my first grow effort. As with all first time growers, it's been a learning experience. When I bought my three clones I had no idea how expensive and technical growing these plants in my garage would be!

I've been following the advise of the folks at the hydroponics store regarding soil, use of grow bags, fertilizer, nutrients, etc. Unfortunately my growing efforts are restricted to the garage where, despite living in the California Bay Area, the temps are not ideal during these winter months. Also, while my four 150w grow lamps are on timers, the garage's overhead fluorescent lights are not, and occasionally are left on, perhaps disrupting the 12/12 light cycle. Bottom line, while my plants look reasonably healthy, they are lagging way behind where they should be after 10 weeks of flowering. I raised the plants off the floor after 4 weeks of flowering and have used a space heater on colder nights to keep the grow bags warm, but it's ineffective at heating up the entire growing environment.

As of last week I flushed the plants with excess water and then started giving them only pH'd water until harvest (thinking nutrient lockout may also be in play). I stopped watering for a few days after that because the grow bags continued to feel damp around the base. The soil never seems to feel completely dry, but I don't think the plants have shown any signs of significant over watering.

I bought my clones on Oct. 30. Temps in my garage over the growing period ranged from 40 degrees to 70 degrees. I'd say the night time average during their growth has been 50-55 degrees. Day time temps have averaged 60 to 65 degrees. The lights I'm sure provide some additional heat for the plants.

I'm admittedly ignorant having no growing experience, but based on what I've read and seen on line.....

- My Allen Wrench plant (the first to begin developing buds and colas) seems to have stalled. It's probably where it should be in week 6 or 7 in a good growing environment. I'm still waiting for the cola's to fill in and fatten up.

- My Chemdawg 4 seems to be doing the best with one or two nice cola's and reasonably good sized buds. But still, I think I should be harvesting by now.

- My Sour Diesel is waaaaaaay behind though. Nothing cola-like going on. Just buds that have yet to coalesce into anything resembling a cola.

I'm continuing to monitor the trichomes waiting for them to turn cloudy. I'm wondering if anyone else grew in similar conditions and what I should expect as far as yield and quality, or how long it will take before these plants are ready for harvest.

Plants_Growing_Environment.jpg

My grow environment.

130+ views and nobody has any feedback to offer? I've invested over $1000+ in lights, equipment and utility costs in this my first grow effort. I'm just hoping at this point to to break even and get an ounce or so from each plant. Almost at 11 weeks flowering now and there continues to be little change. Granted, cool environments equal slow growth...but these plants can't hang in this flowering limbo forever. What should I expect will be the outcome? I'm monitoring the trichomes daily....will they ever turn cloudy or Amber? At this point I just want to know progress is still taking place...everything seems to have stalled!

LOL, you will have no problem getting an ounce from each plant there. I would think closer to a half pound per plant or better based on the size of them. As for finishing times, they will probably all be different as they are all different strains. I would think after 11 weeks they should be done or close to done.. You should ask the guys you got the clones from the estimated finishing time on the plants. what are you looking at the trichs with?? do you have a good magnifier?

also for temp, even hanging a tarp around them and putting your space heater inside the tarps will help keep them warmer as opposed to trying to heat the whole garage....leaving the lights on will also mess them up, how many times have you done that?? worse possible situation is you make them hermie and they seed, best possible situation is they just re veg. but if your doing it often that may account for the long flower period....

Thanks for replying! Any feedback from more experienced growers helps.

I have an Ecoplus 30x illuminated microscope to view the trichomes with. The overhead lights in the garage are left on now and then when wife, kids or I go out in the garage at night. Maybe once a week or so I've found that the lights were left on for a few additional hours.

I have a hard time believing a half pound per plant given the current state of the buds and colas. (Albeit. I dig your optimism!) If I was to harvest today, there would be little bud material left After trimming away the leaves away. Most buds don't seem very dense, although there are one or two reasonably ok cola's, but again, not very dense. Plenty if trichome crystals all over the buds though.

I thought about devising some sort of tent structure, but I'm already in Dutch with the wife over the time, money and attention I've been giving the plants. I think building a tent would be the last straw for her.

So yeah, low temps, occasional inconsistent lighting, and perhaps too little ventilation (I avoid turning on my fan most days cause I think it will just cause lower temps)....So i know what all the contributing factors arê to the slow growth, I'm just too inexperienced to know what it all means as far as harvest expectations. I just know the flowering can't go on indefinitely and it's worrisome given the time and money investment. I was hoping someone would reply with, "I grew a plant under similar conditions and this was the end result..." Perhaps it's just newbie paranoia...still, 11 weeks flowering and still no sign that harvest readiness....just disconcerting, you know?

it is hard to tell what your plants look like, but the one one the right looks good in that top photo. I will take your word that the buds are not very dense, but plants that size have have potential for big yield. don't let it discourage you though, the next grow will be that much better. also some strains will never go amber I have read....

As much as you have invested so far, it's nothing to get a tarp. I saw a roll of reflective semi insulted stuff at HD today that was fifty bucks and would help you stabilize temps.

You can either try to address the problems go4snypr laid out, or pack it up, put the gear on eBay, and go back to buying your meds the way you did before. Just remember to buy your wife something nice and say sorry...

??? ;) ????

Me, I can't/couldn't quit, especially as close as you are. You have good looking plants that have the, "potential" for a QP - HP. Whether you can make those plants live up to their potential, it's a whole different story.

Good luck, short money to dial it in a bit more.... Or harvest it, make changes for the next grow.. but to be so close....

I really appreciate the feedback guys! And no, not giving up on the plants...way too much investment and way too close to harvest (I hope!) to walk away at this point. I'll visit Home Depot and see what they have to offer as far as tarps. I'm sure 75% of my unease is simply that I'm operating in vacuum of ignorance. I guess I just needed the pat on the back from those who can better assess the condition of my plants. I have uplifted hopes after reading your replies.

I'm most concerned about the sour diesel. At least the other two plants have colas, but at 11 weeks and still being at the large popcorn size buds with no cola.....just sucks!

Yes...with the things I've learned, my next growing effort will be much better thought out, more timely with the actual growing season and hopefully more in line with other successful growers. Again, thanks for the feedback!

No worries, I'm just busting your chops to make you finish them!! I didn't figure you would cause you wouldn't have gotten this far if you were the quitting type!!

I did see that stuff today,, was thinking about it for my renovations for next grow. Good luck man, your close, keep chugging!!

DSCN5810.JPG
DSCN58051.JPG

My best allen wrench cola, front and back view. Colas are still filling in I guess. At least compared to the dense cola top photos I've seen posted for this strain.

DSCN5806.JPG
DSCN58091.JPG

The best cola on my chemdawg 4 plant, and a photo of a large bud growing nearby. This plant is an indica dominant hybrid. I've read the indicas do better in colder climates. So it makes sense this plant would be a little further along I guess.

DSCN58122.JPG

Sour diesel, what should be the cola (if it would just develop). I did do research on all my plants during the course of their growth. SD is supposed to form a nice cola just like the others.

Seen much worse. You'll get some good bud off that...

Find anything at home depot? I looked today for that stuff so I could give you a name but I couldn't find it...

I'll try to go to HD or Lowes today to see what they might have as far as reflective tarps/screens.

I certainly hope to get a reasonable harvest. I just want to reap enough to be able to tell my wife that it was a cost effective effort. I'm still not entirely sure, but I'm getting more confidant that I will be able to do so. I just wish the individual buds and developing cola's on my plants were more dense. Most of the buds are very loose and there won't be much left to dry after trimming away the surrounding leaves. My ignorance about how buds/colas normally develop and my general growing inexperience are my biggest hurdles. For all I know everything is just peachy and the colas/buds will continue to develop and fatten up, just at this slower pace. That said, I've yet to read any posts where people speak of 15+ week flowering periods. Something's gotta give.... Today marks 11 full weeks flowering. But hey, whenever the trichomes tell me to harvest, I'll harvest...and I'll get what I get when I get it. I suppose I just need to be more patient. I plan on harvesting when the majority of trichomes are cloudy and I see a few amber trichomes here and there. Right now most are still clear, but I do see a few cloudy trichomes starting to appear on my allen wrench plant, but just a few.

Do you have any experience of partial harvests (i.e. main cola's, better developed buds) while leaving the lower buds of the plant intact to continue developing? I've read some people do that. I assumed the trichome development was a plant-wide thing, and that there wouldn't be a significant difference comparing trichomes at the top of the plant with the bottom? Perhaps my ignorance is showing again?

Back
Top Bottom