Slow growing Indica outdoors

SusanX

I am growing a variety of Indica and mostly Indica. They are very slow growing. They are in raised beds with an automatic moisture sensor for the sprinklers. They get sun all day long and I have been rotating 3 fertilizers, a different one each week. There are tomato plants in cages in the same raised beds and I make sure they don't cast shadows on the pot plants. The crazy thing is that I have never had tomatoes grow so gigantic and produce so much. The pot plants are where I would normally put more tomatoes. What's going on? BTW heirloom tomato plants look just like Indica.

If the tomatoes are growing that big that fast they might be cooking out the roots of the pot plants. And three different fertilizers rotating weekly probably isn't helping

Comparing growth of tomatoes to Cannabis isn't an effective comparison. Even comparing different strains isn't accurate.

You'd need to grow two clones in identical environments, and feed one normal nutes, and the other a rotating schedule to see which works and which doesn't.

Could you get some pictures of the plants, and closeups of leaves to give us an idea what you're working with?

No tomato roots nearby and my raised beds are only half full. They are meant for intensive planting. I don't know what fertilizer to use. Everyone has an opinion. People around here swear by MiracleGro. Last year for Sativa, that is all I used. It grew too tall to blend in. I have been reading blogs where people say MiracleGro is the worse.

Any experimenting would have to be next spring. When it stops raining I can take some pix. These plant started late because a cat dug up the first seedlings. A mesh fence did the trick to stop the cat. Last year I grew Sativa. It grew too tall to blend in. I got the Sativa seeds from a friend. Don't know the exact type. He swears by MiracleGro. I kept reading on blogs MiracleGro is no good, hence the fertilizer rotation including MiracleGro. I prefer Indica anyhow.

You can train Sativas to grow short. I have a Sativa dominant that's 14" tall and 34 days into flower.

For nutes, I won't recommend a specific brand, but I will recommend a type... 2 part or 3 part nutes. Something that you can mix. They should contain NPK, and all the micro nutes as well. With a 2 part or 3 part system you vary the mix based on where the plant is in its life cycle, creating a near perfect mix of nutes of what the plant needs at the time in life.

TOMATO4.jpg
The giant tomatoes
BlackWidow.jpg
My poor little Big Black Indica (aka Black Widow) the flash washed it out; its a lot greener.

Just thought of something. Maybe this is why the tomato plants are so big: Espoma organic Tomato-tone 3-4-6 has calcium. Maybe my plants need calcium. I am a little leery about trying it. Don't want to hurt the pot plants.

If you started them late in the season, they won't get big unfortunately, cause they'll start flowering pretty quickly. The only guarantee to get a big plant outdoor is: starting early (around March/April), get a plenty of rain (and high RH that comes with it), get a good sun exposure (at least 8-10 hours a day). In these conditions even pure indicas get big, and that I can prove with my own L.A. Confidential which hit 7 feet already.

la214.jpg

UPDATE: If you grow you pot as if it were a tomato plant, your weed will grow like weeds. I used Espoma organic Tomato-tone and Azomite just like the giant tomatoes. The Indica started to grow and get leafy. Then I got real cocky with a Sativa seed I had left; did the whole tomato route down to the sprouting. Its been in the ground less than a week. Here are photos:
sativa15.jpg
Indica10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom