Sludge from coral reef tank protein skimmer question

Coolthanksbye

Anyone that also might have some experience keeping a reef tank might have some input in this. So I've got this protein skimmer in my coral reef tank that basically skims detritus/fish waste/uneaten fish food. I dispose of about 2 cups of dark stinky sludge like every three days and was considering diluting it a little to feed my ladies as they grow up instead of dumping it down the drain. My only concern was the saltwater source, that's why I was looking to dilute. Otherwise the rest is just crappy sludge. Man I'm lit.... what do you guys think?
:bong:

Re: Sludge from coral reef tank protein skimmer question...

My consern would be bacteria and/or fungus. You could cook it to aleviate that potential problem, but I would also try it out on a house plant first to see what kind of results you get before possibly destroying a grow. I'm not really sure it would do any good anyway. Sort of depends on what's in your fish food. If it's protien based, I wouldn't bother. There's a reason we don't fertilize our gardens w/or compost dog or cat waist. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Sludge from coral reef tank protein skimmer question...

I ran a reaf tank for quite some time bro. It was after Hurricane Isabell knocked out my power for a whole week and 1200 bucks worth of livestock died that I decided to take it down and use the lights for a different hobby.
This is when I started growing pot on a regular basis.
Its the sodium that bothers me, salt is a natural plant killer. I don't think it would be worth trying to recycle that nasty gunk. Just use a fert, less chance of contaminating your grow with salt or some nasty bacterial infection like Vin said.
If you do decide to try it which I still recommend not too, let us know your results.

Back
Top Bottom