Smell/Odor advice for first time small grow

mini420

I just planted a few seeds in cups on my window sill and I'm about to attempt a small stealth grow in my 2 bedroom apartment. I'm using a 2x2x5 grow tent that I bought from a local hydro shop as well as a 200watt CFL reflector system with both 2700k and 6500k bulbs. I know I need some sort of exhaust fan and the tent has a 4inch opening in the top. I've spent all I had on the light, tent, soil, and potting accessories and I'm worried about smell and want to figure something out before I really grow this thing. The tent is in a closet in the spare bedroom with both the room and closet doors closed. I'm using bagseed I saved awhile ago. I'm not sure what it is, I don't have a clue what it's from exactly. My guess would be that it's from some decent mids at best. The seeds are a few years old and I'm not even sure if they are any good. My plan is to grow 1 or 2 plants. I know the seeds arent from anything good and strong, like I said... decent mids at best. Should I be super worried about the smell? I don't really have the money to spend on a fan and carbon filter. I'm going to use a small 4" axial fan as an exhaust at the top of the box and I'm considering making a cheap homemade carbon filter for it, but I'm worried it won't move enough air. I was thinking of lining the bottom of the tent with some cat litter mixed with charcoal or something. The tent has 2 small mesh vents at the bottom that you can velcro shut. I was thinking if I used the small fan at the top and the air coming it blew by the cat litter/charcoal mix it would keep me safe.

Any advice would be helpful. I don't have anywhere else to grow and I want to take all necessary precautions. I don't want to get several weeks in, have it start to stink real bad and have to toss it.

pot gets VERY stinky when its budding... Good Luck!

i wouldn't grow in a apt. unless i knew everyone, and they were growing too, and then i wouldn't open my door!

See this is why I'm so confused....

Some people said they've used reg bagseed and had minimal odor issues, some people say it really stinks. I'm looking into a 4" inline fan with some flex duct and a homemade carbon filter.

See this is why I'm so confused....

Some people said they've used reg bagseed and had minimal odor issues, some people say it really stinks. I'm looking into a 4" inline fan with some flex duct and a homemade carbon filter.

And that's true. Some strains don't stink as much as others. I have a small grow box that I built and sometimes it stinks and sometimes it doesn't.

I've got two homemade carbon filters that work for the most part. It depends on how much my intake is blowing in over what my exhaust can take out through the filters.

If you just have a couple of plants, a carbon filter can work and you can also build an ona bucket. They are very effective.

I also bought an air purifier and turn it on in the afternoon when it likely to stink some.

The smell hasn't been overpowering or smelling outside my garage where my box is located.

Bottom line is there will be some smell. There are ways to cover that up and get rid of it just takes a little creativity and a desire to do it. You have plenty of options.

:Namaste:

Well I'm looking into spending the money on a decent 4" inline fan. I'm hoping to score one on ebay for like $50. I need some good instructions on how to build a carbon filter. I saw one earlier with 2 pencil cups that looked easy to make but I can't find the thread. I've seen many others but they all seem way to big. I'm looking at a 150-180 CFM exhaust fan and would need something to fit into that or something I can run flex duct into from the top of my grow hut.

Well I'm looking into spending the money on a decent 4" inline fan. I'm hoping to score one on ebay for like $50. I need some good instructions on how to build a carbon filter. I saw one earlier with 2 pencil cups that looked easy to make but I can't find the thread. I've seen many others but they all seem way to big. I'm looking at a 150-180 CFM exhaust fan and would need something to fit into that or something I can run flex duct into from the top of my grow hut.

That's what I built..out of pencil cups I got at wal mart...I saved the thread..it's on another site. I'll pm it to you..

You can also get the cups at Office Depot or Staples I believe. They have a good stock at back to school time...but other times not so much.

You can also build one out of small wire mesh. There is a guy here who built one...stratlogic I think his name is. It's on his box grow thread..

Here it is... Grow Box Construction

Hope that helps.

That's what I built..out of pencil cups I got at wal mart...I saved the thread..it's on another site. I'll pm it to you..

You can also get the cups at Office Depot or Staples I believe. They have a good stock at back to school time...but other times not so much.

You can also build one out of small wire mesh. There is a guy here who built one...stratlogic I think his name is. It's on his box grow thread..

Here it is... Grow Box Construction

Hope that helps.

Yeah I ended up finding it shortly after I posted. You said you've made these - Do they work? I'm looking at putting it inside my tent so the exhaust fan pulls the air through it before dumping it into the room.

Yeah I ended up finding it shortly after I posted. You said you've made these - Do they work? I'm looking at putting it inside my tent so the exhaust fan pulls the air through it before dumping it into the room.

Yup that's what I do...

It all depends on your airflow. If you have passive intake, you're good. If you have an active intake, your exhaust better be keeping up or you're going to push smells outside the box and not through the filters.

If you've got passive intake and create negative pressure inside your tent, with that filter, you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom