Smell Proof Bag,10.5''x6''x0.8'', 27x15x2cm, Mars Hydro HonestGR Review

HonestGR

This is my first review on 420Magazine forums, so If I posted in the wrong area... I am sorry. (If it is, could you please move it?)

Smell Proof Bag (10.5''x6''x0.8'') 27x15x2cm-Mars Hydro

Firstly, I measured it to be 11"x6"x0.8". Unless mine is a One off, it is 0.5" off. - NOT A BAD THING!

I received this as a tester gift from Mars Hydro (@SmokeSara )

Although it does not fit 100% with gardening (my normal reviews), it can hold products grown in your garden. If you don't know Mars Hydro is a large company that produces LED lights. These are designed for Growing indoor fruits, veggies and flowers.

This is solely an accessory; not needed but a nice addition if you plan on going anywhere public.

Amount of time to review this product: Approximately 1 month and going, I will update around the 3rd month and finally 6th.

Shipping: This item came to my door rather quickly. I had no clue what it was when I received it (100% Discreet).

Segment Score: (10/10)

Packaging: The packaging was perfect. It was packaged in three layers of plastic preventing loss of use of the activated charcoal until open on the users end. (Sorry I didn't take unboxing pics!).

Initial Thought(s): This usually costs $30.44 CAD or $22.99 US at today's exchange rate / price. It is inexpensive for such a well crafted item. It is double Velcro sealed; should work well!

Short/Long term usage: Unless you are opening it everyday (I do not), you should expect it to last a very VERY long time, Mine is still as though I had just opened it's packaging! If you do open it on a daily basis, it should still last you at minimum six months. The Velcro is of superb quality and I do not see it failing easily.

Info/Notes: Activated Charcoal lined walls (Effective for 6 months per their website), Waterproof outside walls (Cannot be washed)

-1 point.

I wish there was a compartment(s) to refill the charcoal to extend it's effective use or have some sort of liner that could be replaced.

Segment Score: (9/10)

Tests:
1) I placed 1 oz weed in a standard zip lock bag to see if "normal" storage works well. (Our legal cannabis comes in plastic containers)
2) Ran this product under tap water to see if it would absorb any.
3) I also left the zip lock bag of cannabis open in the bag for a night; after the smell proof bag was opened, I could smell some, but not while closed. (it absorbs the smell from inside)

Result: I could NOT Smell anything (Minus when it was an open bag of cannabis)! The water did NOT get soaked into the bag. (Note: Ensure the Velcro is WELL SEALED)

Effectiveness: Wow! This is all I can say for this product! I love it! I even brought it to one of my friends to show them. I handed it to them and said "guess whats in it". They had no clue.

Pro(s): Very effective at what it does.
Keeps everything well organized for someone like myself.
Great for outings, vacations etc (where legal / medicinal)
It can be used for anything with a smell. Not just cannabis!

Con(s): Other than having to replace approximately every six months (or until it starts to smell).

Recommendations/Ideas for Mars Hydro:

I would like to see 1 or 2 pockets inside to store a pipe or papers.
I would like to see "replaceable" packets (or inserts) to lengthen the life of the bag!

Overview: I really enjoy this product, I fully intend to buy one when this one does decide to fail on me. It will happen in time, but until then smoke on!

Total Segment score: (59/60)

Overall Rating: 9.8/10

Questions to me:

Q: How do you store your cannabis?
A: I use zip lock bags to store everything separately. Nothing like having your papers all scattered, It also creates another smell barrier for a used pipe. If I have extra for longer storage, I will keep it in a mason jar with a 62% RH pack. I will only carry up to 30g on me at any time in public.

Q: Where do you buy your cannabis? Is it legal?
A: I buy mine for recreational use, As of Oct 17th it is legal to buy in Canada.

If you have used the product reviewed, please leave your comments as well. I am only one person and these are solely my experiences with this product. I am sure Mars Hydro would love to hear your feedback as well!

Attachments

• 20181124_142428(1).jpg
    20181124_142428(1).jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 204
Smell Proof Bag (10.5''x6''x0.8'') 27x15x2cm-Mars Hydro - 2 Month Update

It is just over two months now with the Smell Proof bag.

Review Period: The review was posted on (Nov 24 2018) to today (Jan 07 2019) With 1 month prior of using it. (Total of approx 2 months +/- a few days.)

Result: No Problems - Still Zero Smell
No issue with the Velcro, The product is all holding together very well!

Amount of use: An average opening of once per day (Some days 0, some days 3). It depends how much I end up smoking really. I know some will be opening this up significantly more than I, But I have confidence anyone who does will see how good of a product this is!

One potential end user issue I have noticed : If you are like me, you will have a small amount of ground cannabis on your hands when closing the bag. I recommend washing your hands prior to closing it up. Use caution when going through security check points if you have opened/closed it a lot prior to going on say an airplane. (Pending there is still residue/flower on the sides)

I'm not sure if you are able to completely remove all of the cannabis with a thorough washing of the outside of the bag enough to fool a drug dog. There may still be some residual. I have no way to test this. I'm sorry!
**DO NOT PLACE IN YOUR WASHER**

On that note to fix the above: I recommend getting a second bag. One for everyday use, and one for having to go through check points. (Keep it sealed in the bag until you really need it).

I am still extremely pleased with this product. When funds allow, I will be purchasing another to replace this one!

Overall rating: 9.8/10 (Zero Change)

Next Update: Around Feb 07 2019 for a 3 month update!

Happy Smoking All!

-HonestGR

@SmokeSara , I tagged you so Mars Hydro can see their new update!

I recommend washing your hands prior to closing it up.

...with an appropriate solvent, lol (isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem like overkill to me). Or using a pair of disposable gloves. Or even, in a pinch, sticking one's hands in some kind of bags; anything to create a physical barrier when handling containers that could get "smelled by pooch."

I know the bag is ok for water, but what will is isopropyl do to the bag itself?

@SmokeSara could you find out? Or do you know an answer already? ;)

Though that and rinsed with water should work.

After smoking will you want to wear gloves to close it every time?

Using a bag would work, I agree.

Thank you for feedback @TorturedSoul. I never thought of isopropyl.

Thank you for feedback @TorturedSoul. I never thought of isopropyl.

Well, I once washed my hands with Zest after a harvest event and they were still sticky. And washing one's hands with butane seems like overkill (and dangerous, and likely to chill one's hands quite a bit).

Thanks for the update HonestGR, looking forward to the 3 month update that the bags will still have 0 smell problem. :) As to the isopropyl, I guess better not using it. Even it won't cause problem to the bag, might influence the qaulity on your medicine, right? :green_heart:
And for the thing that your medicine might be caught on your finger stuff, I suggest you put the medicine into several plastic bags for each usage, and then put into the anti-smell bags, then every time you need them, just take out one of the bags, and then do your smoking, your hand or the bag won't get any medicine and it will be more clean. What do you think? ;)

According to @SmokeSara yes :)
In order to be safe to test this, I suggest you can put something with strong smell while legal to pass through the policeman dog, see if they will notice it, so that even the bag is been found out, you won't have any problem, but from another customers who tested it before, he was totally safe with the bag full of his medicine. :green_heart:

"
isopropyl, I guess better not using it. Even it won't cause problem to the bag, might influence the qaulity on your medicine, right? "

I dont think it will directly impact your medicine unless you touch it afterwards. I think torturedsoul has a good point.

After the 6 months, I will test some on it to see if it degrades the bags quality over a month. However I wont be able to let a k9 smell it :( (None) in my area anymore) :(

In order to be safe to test this, I suggest you can put something with strong smell while legal to pass through the policeman dog, see if they will notice it, so that even the bag is been found out, you won't have any problem, but from another customers who tested it before, he was totally safe with the bag full of his medicine. :green_heart:

Put a steak in it! :) I will ask around to see if any cops I know still have their k9!

It has been a while since I have updated this. But we are at 7 months. But oddly this is still working for me. I put some dog treats in it last month, and totally forgot about it. Last week I put the smellproof bag infront of my dog, and she did nothing, she is a beagle (known for good noses) and loves her treats...

I do think it will kick the bucket soon because I have started storing an open bag inside (yes i know it will leave the bud dry and crumbling) but its time to push the limit a little.

-----------
Overall: Great product. For myself it meets and exceeds the 6 month mark.

Keep in mind, I have stored several containers of cannabis, including baggies and dog treats for 1 month. Over a period of 7 months.

Suggestion to users: If you are using this, use something that will prevent smell from leaking to lengthen the life of this product. (Med bottles etc). Also, store it in a place that does not have the smell of cannabis if the outside smells of it, why would you even bother? ;)

@SmokeSara keep manufacturing this product! It works very well! I will order more down the road!

Have a great weekend everyone!

It all sounds great but I want real tests with trained drug dogs before I try to use it to get past those dogs. A product that has not been demonstrated by the manufacturer to do what it's intended purpose is for is not worth my money (or my freedom).

It all sounds great but I want real tests with trained drug dogs before I try to use it to get past those dogs. A product that has not been demonstrated by the manufacturer to do what it's intended purpose is for is not worth my money (or my freedom).

Thats fair! In Canada its legal, so I have no need to go that far in a test :)

I did try contacting the RCMP, no help to test it...

Unfortunately the RCMP buddies I have were not in the K9 unit, so they cant provide a dog to check for me :(

Thats fair! In Canada its legal, so I have no need to go that far in a test :)

I did try contacting the RCMP, no help to test it...

Unfortunately the RCMP buddies I have were not in the K9 unit, so they cant provide a dog to check for me :(
I'm sure the manufacturer could set up the tests with a phone call; that they haven't tells me they know the bags won't work with a trained dog. That view may be unfair (for reasons that I can not fathom) but it is a logical one for me personally.
There is a lot of much more expensive product than weed being moved and detected with drug dogs; if this product worked, would not it be used to shield that naughty stuff from being detected?

The issue I think would arrise with an official test is "what is being smuggled now".

To do it with a retired k9 is one thing (or in legal country), but to do it in a country where it is illegal.. you blatantly have a product that is illegal testing how to go against your government laws. (Although this test would be solely with cannabis; I will not attempt any other substance.)

If Mars can manage to get a hold of a k9 unit around me (active or retired), I will gladly go test it out. I would also video record the results.

Ill continue to chat with my contacts in the meantime to see if I can get something set up! :)

The issue I think would arrise with an official test is "what is being smuggled now".

To do it with a retired k9 is one thing (or in legal country), but to do it in a country where it is illegal.. you blatantly have a product that is illegal testing how to go against your government laws. (Although this test would be solely with cannabis; I will not attempt any other substance.)

If Mars can manage to get a hold of a k9 unit around me (active or retired), I will gladly go test it out. I would also video record the results.

Ill continue to chat with my contacts in the meantime to see if I can get something set up! :)
Canada is legal so if Mars wants to test the bag, they can do so with a phone call. Heck, I bet any police academy in any of the 50 States (legal or otherwise) would gladly test the bag in a classroom situation.
To tell you the truth, it is the ease that these tests could be done and the fact they have not gives me pause on these types of products.

Back
Top Bottom