Smokemups 3rd LST Grow - Lucy - Unknown Bag Seed

Re: Smokemups 3rd LST Grow - Lucy - Unknown Bag Seed - Blue Planet Nutrients

very nice mate, some amazing looking buds, pretty impressive, well done,

what was you worried about towards the end of harvest, mine also seem to slow in the last week or 2 and just develop the trichs more, they trichs will still change colour after harvest for a few days so they will still mature slightly, plus it looked ready to harvest to me,

the only issues ive ever had with growth stopping that late in flower was when i over watered or temps to high or low, apart from that they was ok, but they do pretty much slow to a crawl in the last week or 2, the last few weeks they swell up and calyx swell then it pretty much slows down from their as the trichs change colour, the other thing you need to consider is that some indica strains wont show amber trichs, they stop when cloudy and you will wait for ever for them to turn amber,

some indicas turn amber but others stop at cloudy, i left one for ages and it just grew banans and had no amber trichs at all, so was ready for harvest but would not turn amber, so depends how much indica it had in it and what indica background it had, so i cant see you did much wrong, plant looked great, buds look amazing, should be a damn nice smoke, so chances are you harvested it at perfect time, if the growth had slowed that much and their was no issues with temps or lack of nutes then the plant was more or less done,

as for the light what do you mean with vertical, was you just hanging the light so it was running up and down and not from side to side,
with cfls the side of the bulbs give off more light so its best to have the side of the light facing the plant with reflector above to reflect the upwards light back onto the plant, same applies with mh and hps buls, the side has more surface area so throws out more light, so the bat wing reflector would be the best option as it holds the bulb sideways and reflects the most light,

the only thing i noticed was the light spread, when i had my reflector running from front to back the light spread did not cover as much of my grow area, but when i ran it from left to right so i was looking along the side of the reflector instead of either end i found it gave me better light coverage in my grow area, so you could try the same, have the reflector running one way and check coverage then turn it the other way, hopefully you know what i mean, so one way the bulb was running left to right like this --- then the other way it was running from front to back so i had the end of the bulb facing me and the wings where hanging to the left and right of that,

i found having the bulb running from left to right filled my grow area with more coverage so i use it like that now, the end of my reflector is open, one end has the bulb holder in it but the other end where the tip of the bulb is is open, i was wondering if i could make a reflector to put into the end of the reflector so im reflecting the light back down onto the plants from the end of the bulb as well,

my hood is not covered so temps get high if i dont have fans moving air all the time, so i was thinking about drilling 2 or 3 vents into the top of the hood so the heat from the bulb rises instead of filling the hood up with hot air, this might allow me to move the light closer, i cant use a sealed hood cuz i cant fit one in my grow room as its brick built so cant go drilling big holes for ducting,

You dont think its too bad?? Well I hope she is fine as this morn her newer leaves in the pic, Have since overnight grown out larger so I rekn she s cool for cats;)
I am going to have to repot her soon and I am keen to try my new MH setup, see if there is any benefit from using it horizontally:) HOPING SO!! LET THERE BE LIGHT!! Well my buds are looking good now and are just about crisp enough outside to cure them, and now there is definatly a more noticeable smell of bud than sort of wet hay.. Which Im happy about;)
Ive been toking on small nugs that dried mostly and they taste good and gettin me thru for now so thats the main thing, when I have to outsource my smoke that means I have to return the favour on my next harvest. I want to AVOID that as best I can for obvious reasons..
Well anyway IM HAPPY WITH THIS SMOKE AT LEAST - Not the harvest but the quality should keep me going for a little bit and I am in awe of Teresa who is a ROCKET.. She s growing faster than most of my gals have I am not sure if I should swap to the MH yet or keep the CFL's on her for another couple weeks - I will need to add 2 more lights but thats cool, gotta do what ya gotta do ay!
If her growth continues like this hopefully it wont take her too long to reach 4ft with LST, its the part that slows its growth some, So Im prepping for that, But I hope to get there in about 5 -7 weeks? Will see how she reacts to her re-pot and then future LST ing..
Ok thanks again Miwa, Have a good one bro. Smokemup:welcome:

3.5ft in veg, damn mate you could end up with 6ft plant if you dont keep on top of that, might double in size if not trimmed back, clipping the top fan leaves stops the top of the plant growing for few days, its pretty much the same as fim method, i used fim a few times but when i removed the top set of fan leaves i found out it stunted growth on main steam and lower branches grow, so when the next set of fan leaves at the top of plant grew i clipped them of as well, this allowed the node below to catch up and gave me the same results as fim but without all the stress.

have you ever thought about autos, would be perfect to give you something different to smoke or some extra to add to what you got, quick to grow and can be grown under veg schedules, dont take up to much room so why dont you give an auto or 2 a try, some are done in 6 weeks some in 8 to 10 weeks,
herbies got lots of cheap autos that give some really nice buds, auto bomb was a really nice smoke, auto purple was a load of crap but i did put it out in the snow to turn it purple, auto blueberry was another really nice smoke, but again would be different depending on which breeder it comes from

i just think it would give you something different to smoke and wont affect you main plants grow space as autos take up very little room, could even be grown just in a room with light coming from a window, or even outside if you had somewhere secure,

MY man DonPaul;)
Thank you for your post buddy!! I was only concerned with my plant as its size was smaller than Im used to due the early damage to her main stem. And I DID take YOUR advice in regards to Indicas taking ages to possibly show minimal Amber trichs - So I was reading one of your posts on it and it made me think.. And as I said, 70 day flower period is usually enuf for most plant ay!
And yeah, I was meaning hanging the globe screwed up into the socket above, globe hanging North/South as normal - But I have a Batwing reflector which I can mount the globe East/West instead of North/South, I figured it would make the light spread more as like you said with the CFL s putting light out from the sides, and having a reflector for them is good IMO..
Cheers for the props on my girl anyway bro:thanks: She has done well I am looking forward to smoking buds from her colas and tops - Theyve got kick as Im toking on small fluffy Nug-Balls that dried quickly, and it tastes ok and gets me >> BAKED! -_-
All good. My grow space should be more efficient now, and as I said if this plant keeps growing fairly quickly Ill be happy, I need to get back to basics and to the original way I started, not the way I tried to adapt it to... That was where some of my probs occurred so I cant wory about superficial things and as ol' Miwa says - STAY FOCUS - and get my grow on..
MUCH glad to have ya drop by DP.. Cheers for the info!!!! HAve a good one and will chat soon ok...Catch ya, Smokemupm8:high-five:

yeah DP..see..you didn't warn me..when you knew i had a 4 ft plant..yep...thought i was sleep.???:cheesygrinsmiley:..Smoke ..my plant outside is almost at my fence top...still got two months veg to do...i.m in panic mode...shes almost in the no grow zone..theres bad things in that zone...focus

no worries my friend, you got good results, sometimes going back to the basics really pays off, different strains need different things, my biggest change is lighting schedule, i thought my bulb was causing poor results in veg as im using a 400 watt dual spec bulb so was going to get mh and normal hps for flower, but i changed my lighting schedule from 20-4 to 17-7 after speaking with several top growers about plants needing their dark period,
plants are c3 we all know this, they dont need dark and can be grown under 24-0, but plant also grow at night, they grow roots at night, more roots means more nutes and more water for the plant, this means more growth during day light hours, now ok plants dont need dark if their c3, so under 24-0 you end up with nice bushy plants but giving the plant some dark hours means the plant grows more roots and the energy it stores in the day time gets used up when the plant grows searhing for light in the dark period,

its why plants stretch so much when you go 12-12, when lights are off they stretch looking for the light, so stem grows, branches grow giving us more nodes, so after all ive read it makes sense that giving the plants some dark time helps with over all height and helps the roots grow and take in more nutes which supports a much bigger plant,
so i switched from 20-4 and went to 17-7, within a couple of days my plants had totally changed, now im not concernd about the light im using, growth is really good, ive never had leaves as big as im getting now on strains ive grown before, my 2ltr dwc hempie is only 6 inches high but roots are well over 2ft long, under 20-4 the roots didnt reach the bottom of the res until it was ready for flower, so clearly this dark period is benefiting my plants, ive had to up the nutes past the stated dose on my dwc as it just wanted more, im nearly at double strength and still no signs of nute burn or stress, but i wont push it past where it is now as its doing so well,

similar with autos, i was getting rubbish results under 20-4 with the kc45's i was struggling to get 1/4 to 3 8ths per plant, i grew the same kc45 under 12-12 from start to finish and the plant took 3 weeks longer to grow, started flowering 2 weeks later than ones under 20-4, it finished 2ft higher than it did under 20-4 and i got around 2oz dry with 5 buds measuring 1ft, i was lucky to get buds that was 3 inches under 20-4 so ill run some test with other autos now and compare veg schedule with 12-12, so far it looks like autos also benefit from the dark period

so got much more to test and try and work out whats best, its why i love growing this plant, so much to try but it takes time, i got a good few years to perfect my grows,

when you put your buds in jars to cure i leave the lid off for the first 24 hours as they will get moist again even with the lids off the jars, what i do is put them in jars and leave lid off for the first 24 to 48 hours depending on how dry the buds feel after the 24 hours, another thing i now do is for the first few days to a week is empty the jar and spread the buds out, i found leaving them in the jar made some of the buds stick to each other which could case pm issues if the buds are not mixed up, so i do the same as james the green and empty the jars and spread the buds out and check them every 20 to 30min and if their pretty moist ill leave them an hour before putting them back in,
before i just burped the jar but found buds would stick to each others as you cant really shake them up to much when the jars are full so i empty and refill when they feel dry enough, after a few days of this i find they dont need to be taken out the jars.

another trick i found works well is if the buds have dried to much just put a not dry bud in the jar with the dry buds and it brings the moisture back up in the jar and gets the buds curing again, i went out one day and left my buds out the jar all day and came back and they was crispy dry, luckily my other jar had been sealed and buds had enough moisture so just dropped a couple of moist buds in the jar and within a couple of hours they was all back where they should be moisture wise,

you done well with the last plant, decent buds and im sure its a fine smoke,

THAT THE WHOLE IDEA DON!!!!!
I have space for a 7ft tall plant bro:):) cindy, on my first journal here reached 6'4ft H X 4.5ft W X 2.5ft D and had he 2ft long colas, this is the same method I will apply to my mewest recruit, Teresa..
She will be going under my 400w MH probably tomorrow, as her leaf spread is too large for its current housing, So Im finishing up the last of the fine tuning in my grow room and she s goin in..
I am counting on 3ft stretch Max, Ive not had one triple in size after flipping to 12/12, usually an extra 1-2ft of height from Veg point during LST, the LST reduces the plants overall vertical height until its caught upto what its been asked of it will start to grow vertically well again.
I am not keen on Auto's really, never tried em and ATM - I dont have room for any extra s, I just had to cull the other sprout that popped first along with the one Im growing now, The slower grower of the two turned out to be the best and faster one after surfacing..
I was going to donate it but my mate hasnt responded so stuff him, its gone now.. He tried to germinate at least 20 seeds but did it HIS way and wouldnt listen to me and none of em popped! All went black, he only had to wait 1 day for me to see him and Id have showed him my paper towel method, his loss.
And as you were saying about the lighting, well yea I know that the plant will grow under 24/0, But there MUST be certain reactions to the plant in dark period. Photosynth stops but the plant grows/repairs etc and roots while dark - And is why people give dark periods before harvest. I AM NOT 100% CERTAIN OF ALL THE SCIENTIFIC WORDS AND ACTIONS THAT A GANJA PLANT UNDER GOES DURING DARK, BUT I DO BELIEVE DARK IS NEEDED.
I started at 24/0, then I did a 20/4.. The 20/4 plant grew taller and slight wider it seemed and I did ALOT of reading among the 420! pages and also other sources which some state Factually that a dark period is needed for a plant to grow to its optimum ability.
And anyways, after then going to the norm 18/6 I found the plants were growing for me, very well. But some may be using different lights, have different temps and feed solutions and may show some variance in their own plants.. So I kept using the 18/6 for awhile until I dropped to 17/7, Not that the extra hour of dark may make a difference for me it was just a money and timing thing, I try to keep minimal elec use and also I cant have light exuding from my space all the time as I have guests over etc; so I went 17/7 just in case any ppl or such happended to visit it gives me a certain time frame of which I can work so to speak.
This grow Im using 20/4 currently under my 2, 6500k CFL's - They were fine uptil now where her overall width has increased and now more coverage is needed - And thus being the reason while Ill be re-potting and putting my 400w MH on.
Once the MH is on I will stay at 20/4 for the first week and then will drop it to around 18/6 for the remainder of the grow, temps are of no issue really as its cooler here now, and Ive insulated my space and hoping that I can bring this girl back to health and she may reach over the 6ft mark. I still intend, as I stated to Miwa, to Veg til around 3.5-4ft, then Ill flip it and sit back on the ol rocking chair with straw in my mouth, just awaitng for harvest time;)
Thank you for ALL the kind words you said buddy :thanks: And having your perspective helps ease my mind abit, as my friends here on 420! have ALL been great and supportive to me too, I need re-assurance sometimes, I doubt myself and stress ALOT.. But I know my abiiities, its just been of late where Ive tried to change something to suit/show what could be done, But by doing that I also changed the way the plant reacted and grew. So yeah, I have to bite the bullet and go with what I know:):) And if theres any time I whinge about how long this grow might take, TELL ME TO HAVE A CUP OF CONCRETE AND HARDEN THE F%^K UP!! And to wait til Veg til 3.5/4ft..
Cheers guys and your suggestions are most welcome, I do not feel I am above anyones ideas So speak on son!
Thanks again everyone, ITS BEEN GREAT DOING THIS WITH YA's:):) Chat soon, Smokemup

Haha.. Go Miwa,
Just buy ornamental Tomato's to hang from your plant!! Theyre on ebay cheap and they do look like em from a few feet back, so chuck a few on it and TADAAA - Tomato plant..lol
But yeah, maybe you ll have to try tethering some branches pulling them across or something, I dont know how familiar you are with Super cropping but I guess that maybe an option?? I wouldnt do it myself, I only like to lightly trim her excess leaves and train her uptil harvest then Ill rip branches off:) Chew on buds like Corn cobs...
OH man, Miwa, Why did I suffer this horribel affliction by breaking her main stem, STOOPID STOOPID.. Hope I have better luck, Ill post up a recent pic of Teresa couple day after her Burning incident, Maybe she was trying to smoke herself she was that good??! :)
Be cool little indian, Chat soon my friend. Smokemupm8

* FINAL PICS UNTIL WEIGH IN *

Hey everyone.
Hope that yourre all doing ok.. Just thought Id post a few last pics I took of Lucy as she was drying, hope that these look a bit better than some of the others I took,
My new girl, Teresa, has been re located now and is making herself comfy in her new home tho its dull with only the CFL's running I really need another 2 if Im to keep this going under CFL's. She now is very broad fat leaves and her branch shoots are prominant and need light as theyre close together so I will start her LST, and trim away a burnt leaf or two, but I dont wanna ask too much of her at once as I need to re-pot her too, So may do it all in one go - repot, new light, get it goin...
Anyway guys, sum last snaps , Thanks for stopping in!!!

2013-07-06_16_59_50.jpg
2013-07-06_17_03_001.jpg
2013-07-06_17_01_271.jpg
2013-07-06_17_03_151.jpg
2013-07-06_17_01_341.jpg
2013-07-06_17_03_081.jpg

These are the tops of the cola's, and the top canopy of bud is really potent and a bud I smoked earlier as I chopped it up, Did nearly have a fruity smell to it - like a minty/berry smell :) So I may have been close that she was a cross of a Berry and not a Purple strain, or the purple in her wasnt as dominant?? IDK?
Anyway Illchat to you all soon. Have a good one, Smokemup:welcome::thanks::420:

* WEIGH IN TIME... *

Ok - So you all know that I had a major stress attack on this grow/harvest.. Among the problems I did get a reduced yield IMO which I wish wasnt so, BUT I did get a little surprise after the final trim off of stems and any excess leaf material.
12 OUNCES BABY!!!:yahoo::yahoo: NOW I KNOW ITS 4 oz Shy of the pound marker - IT IS ABOUT 6 Oz MORE THAN I EXPECTED;) So I am thankful for this, THANK YOU GANJA GODS!!!
It may have been the way I dried these they had a higher RH than I usually use, I normally go about 40-50 ish to try avoid any mold - I know what people say and do, But I have my own way and its pretty much how I always dry my smoke. It NEVER tastes harsh, or bad, you always get sticky fingers when you touch the buds and while theyre soft and squashable, theyre COMPLETELY dry and you do get an after taste as I described nearly a minty/fruity smell and may well have been a Berry X, which would explain her coloring all thru her growth, and I can feel the smoke coming on after exhale. The small immature crap bud Im smoking at present from her is getting me stoned - Its not too heavy a stone atm but I think that the actual buds will smoke better as theyve got amber trichs among them where these are clear/cloudy. Will let you all know how the good buds smoke up once I finish curing them bit longer..
MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE OF YOU WHO HAVE COME BY TO SEE MY JOURNAL< FOR ITS PICS< OR INFOI OR EVEN JUST TO SAY HI - ITS BEEN GREAT TO HAVE YOU ALL AROUND AND ILL LET YOU AL KNOW WHEN MY NEW JOURNALS GOING.
Oh and BTW, I tried to run my MH East/West in my Batwing hood - She wouldnt arc? Maybe the Socket wasnt deep enough or it was specifically made for a HPS?? I thought the sockets in a hood or reflector, were neutral? And you could use either globe/ballast..
Was a little dis appointed I first thought the Globe was stuffed or the Ballast as it didnt make its normal sounds, So I just put it back under its North/South position in the overhead reflector and plugged her in the Ballast and sure enuf, about 20 secs later the Ballast made its pulsing humm noise and the Globe arc'd and lit up fine:):) So Teresa's now under the 400w MH and is being re potted soon.. Will show sum snaps later on. Take it easy guys, Cheers and thanks again...:thanks::thanks::woohoo: I am stoked to have a slightly bigger harvest than I anticipated!:goodluck: So I should just have enuf smoke to last me... Hmmmm, 5 weeks? I HOPE NOT!! Gotta stretch this out some how..lol.. Cya guys, Smokemupm8:circle-of-love::high-five:

HI Ledrf;)
Thanks for dropping in mate, And much appreciated on your kind remarks!:thanks: She looks good but I hope to take some nice pics come cure time.
Hows things on your side of the fence? Ill have to drop over again n see whats cooking:thumb: Have a good one and will chat soon. Smokemupm8:high-five:

Thank you KingJohn!!
I am happy and astounded that the bus had that mch weight to them.. I trimmed em off and went into until I was down to a little bbitof stem and the top 5inch of cola s. So yeah Im stoked with what I got and Teresa is going off see how she adapts to the lighting and time changes..
Wish I coulddve gone East/West instead of North /South with the globe but Oh well the plants still gow well;) Re-pot soon and she will be ready to start LST on. Have good one guys, speak to you all soon. :thumb: Smokemup

Good yield there Smoke, hope to see yah pop over to my outdoor journal have some that will be some fat bottom girls and a few that want to stretch their legs, kiler looking bud great harvest, OG.

Sure is Invi;)
Her buds are nearing the first curing process atm, I have some drying differently to others and also cola's separated from small buds.. I did mix in some smaller buds that were drier among the slightly moist colas as I aired them for 8hrs and now theyre nearly right.
You can smoke it, But I try to cure most my smoke for least 6-8 weeks if I can. Id go more if I could but I cant doing only 1 plant, Id run out. Normally by this time my smoke is of good smell, soft to the touch kind of spongey, But DRY, and has nice taste with decent highs for plants I know minimal about there genes.
OH AND GUESS WHAT????? IT SEEMS LUCY WAS 100% READY GUYS AS I PULLED A COLA APART TO SMOKE LAST NIGHT AND FOUND ME 1 BEAUTIFUL DARK STRIPEY SEED:):):) I HAVE ANOTHER LUCY SEED!!:high-five: Ive not seen Banana's, and I cannot feel or see any actual seed pods But as I break into the cola's I may find another 1 or 2:)
Cheers for dropping in Invi wil drive by soon mate! Smokemup

JIMMY MY MAN!!!
How are ya buddy? Sorry I have NOT been over your way for bit:/ I have been runnin hectic as its holidays here atm so Ive been doing a bit, plus the harvest and raising of my nxt girl, Teresa:)
Yeah the buds are great, since harvest they had ripened a bit more and I saw more amber trichs than I had before which was good! There is a mix of clear/cloudy and some ambers so some buds will possibly have some different effect/highs as I also dried some longer and cured separately.
I am bringing in my new girl to the bigger pot and she will be starting her training shortly, Ill remove a leaf or 2 soon, let her heal and start her LST as she will be re potted, I dont want to start the LST until she s settled in the new soil. I am being a bit more selective on how I make this soil blend, putting some more Cal/mag and certain slow release ferts. Hoping to get another 6ft girl mate.. The challenge is on, I LUCKILY got 12 oz this time which was a big difference to what I thought Id get ( 5-6 Oz ). This new girl I hope for 1Lb+ dry from her,1.5 is my high end goal, it depends on if I can succesfully get this plant to grow to a size and produce as best as can, I am contemplating a new globe or Ballast - DIGITAL;) See how I go.
Thanking you for your kind words mate and I will get my skinny butt over to your way n say hi soon k.. Hoping your girls are going great mate will chat soon! Be good or good at it! Smokemup

Back
Top Bottom