SmokeyMcFly's First Auto Grow - Soil - Kandy Kush - Haze - BlueBerry - LED Mars II

Re: SmokeyMcFly's first Auto Grow - Soil - Kandy Kush, Haze, BlueBerry - LED MarsII

Quick update and question about PH

I am keeping a 5 gallon bucket bubbling so when I need water it is ready. The problem I am having is the ph keeps creeping back up over night. I get it dropped down to say 5.8 and the next day it will be back up to 6.8. It takes a little less to get it down each time but its been like 4 days now and it hasn't stabilized yet. Is this a problem? How should I just get it to 5.8 and then put it in right away and not give it time to go back up?

Edit, I ordered a fan / filter combo. Ended up going with the can fan max-fan 6" and a phresh 400 filter. The fan has three speed settings built into it so I don't have to worry about finding a speed controller that actually works. On low it should turn my tent over 1.5 times a min, on med 3 times and on high 4. I expect low will be plenty but its good to have it running at a low speed for noise and this way I have extra if I need it. I got a 6" clip on fan to blow on the plants inside the tent on the way also. With the amount I was looking at paying for a speed controller this fan ended up being a great deal.

Ok on to the update
It's been just over a week since I first put these seeds into the rockwool cubes. I transplanted the other two keepers into the airpots tonight. It was a blueberry and a candy kush to go along with the AK49. I was going to do two candies but I am too curious about the blueberry to not at least try it. If it isn't growing good or going to produce I will just yank it and start one of my plushberrys sooner. The AK is a couple days ahead of the other two and has just started to grow its second pair of leaves today. Starting tonight they will get 6 hours off 18 on most likely for the rest of the grow. I have not been putting up a bunch of seedling pictures because well they are boring but here is what they look like right now. Its hard to tell with the lighting but the color looks great on them, they appear to be happy little ladies and now they have their forever homes :thumb:

My tent comes tuesday night. I will have my next real update once that is all setup, I might have some more questions along the way though :ganjamon:

IMAG021716.jpg
IMAG021616.jpg
IMAG021519.jpg
IMAG021421.jpg

Re: SmokeyMcFly's first Auto Grow - Soil - Kandy Kush, Haze, BlueBerry - LED MarsII

Quick update and question about PH

I am keeping a 5 gallon bucket bubbling so when I need water it is ready. The problem I am having is the ph keeps creeping back up over night. I get it dropped down to say 5.8 and the next day it will be back up to 6.8. It takes a little less to get it down each time but its been like 4 days now and it hasn't stabilized yet. Is this a problem? How should I just get it to 5.8 and then put it in right away and not give it time to go back up?

It is normal for pH to change over time, as there is gas exchange with the air (and also the bubbles you're adding).

For tap water I think your best bet is to let it sit out for at least 24 hours to evaporate the chlorine, and then pH-adjust the volume you'll use right away.

It is normal for pH to change over time, as there is gas exchange with the air (and also the bubbles you're adding).

For tap water I think your best bet is to let it sit out for at least 24 hours to evaporate the chlorine, and then pH-adjust the volume you'll use right away.

Thanks Dres! Sounds like good advice, I will do it like that from now on. :thanks:

Have some reps!

Thanks, Smokey :)

Have some in return for your great planning and setup. :high-five:

Thanks. I enjoy the research and planing the most out of all of it, well other than enjoying the buds at the end :high-five: I am going to be bored now that most of the research and planing for my setup is over. Luckily there is always more to learn about growing and I can't wait to get started on my next batch with doc buds high brix and some Subcool Plushberry :thumb:

The reason your pH keeps changing is the pH buffering effect of calcium and other mineral in your tap water. It can take several re adjustments to defeat the calcium buffering effects and stabilize your pH. Your grow area only requires the air exchanged every 5 minutes. I had kept tropical fish aquariums for more then 20 years. it can take up to 7 days with aeration to remove the chlorine added to tap water.

Looking good so far, Smokey!

I saw the little discussion about picture taking on phones. Personally, I would recommend that no one takes any pictures of their grows with a smart phone of any kind. This isn't advice for you, just my thoughts for anyone reading this down the line.

Even though I'm state legal to grow, it's still illegal on a Fed level, and with what the NSA can do, I think staying below the radar is a good thing!

I also would never connect to this site or post anything from my default IP address....

The reason your pH keeps changing is the pH buffering effect of calcium and other mineral in your tap water. It can take several re adjustments to defeat the calcium buffering effects and stabilize your pH. Your grow area only requires the air exchanged every 5 minutes. I had kept tropical fish aquariums for more then 20 years. it can take up to 7 days with aeration to remove the chlorine added to tap water.

Does it continue to buffer in the pro-mix if I just adjust it and water right away without giving it days to stabilize? My water must be wicked hard because it was 3 or 4 days straight of adding ph down and it still went right back up on the last day before I just gave up and used it lol.

I have not had any issues with pH adjusting the nutrient mixture and then watering peat moss based mediums. I believe the peat moss is slightly acidic and buffers the nutrient mixture naturally.

I have not had any issues with pH adjusting the nutrient mixture and then watering peat moss based mediums. I believe the peat moss is slightly acidic and buffers the nutrient mixture naturally.

Thanks again KJC! Everything is looking great so far but the input from people like you Dres and others on here go a long way at making me feel better. Its nice to get feedback on decisions instead of just waiting to see if it hurts your plants, esp with autoflowers that wont have any time to recover from a mistake.

not good to stress autos
Subbed :thumb:

Welcome Chronic! I was looking over your journals last night, nice work :thumb:

Thanks Smokey Happy Tokerday :thumb:

Update Tent Setup 1/7

I checked my tracking info at about 3:00 today and it said that my tent was waiting at my front door :high-five: Now I just had to force myself to not leave work early to run home and put it together. So after waiting and waiting I finally get home and start the build. It took a couple hours total to get the tent put together and taped up. I spent 20 minutes looking for a pole that I never got and wasn't even supposed to get because the directions were confusing and showed a picture of a larger tent layout. It was quite easy to put together and would of been really easy if I had someone helping. Over all I would say the quality is quite good. The only thing I can really complain about is the thread they use for the stitching seems pretty weak. How hard would it be to use a better quality thread. I ripped one of the flaps a little bit because I pulled it the wrong way and the thread started to rip out. I will have to pick up some spyderwire and a needle to patch up any rips that might occur during use at the seams. The actual material is very heavy duty and the ports and over lapping flaps are all very nice and I don't think there will be any light leaks if there is a bit of duct tape will fix it right up. Speaking of duct tape. While the tent was empty I tapped up the seams and the unused ports just to be safe. I figured it would be much easer to do when the tent was empty then to find out there was a problem and need to do it later. I think this was mostly unnecessary but I figured it couldn't hurt. The ladies got a good drink tonight too :morenutes: They were all dry and the candy kush was turning into a little droopy butt, you can see her in the pic below.

My exhaust fan and other stuff will be here on thursday. Until then I am just leaving the front flaps open with the normal fan blowing in on them.

Current Conditions
76 degrees
54% humidity
Watered an hour ago.

Light is about 43" above plants.

Here are some pictures.

Droopy McDroop-Droop
IMAG022518.jpg

Outside of Tent only have a couple inches to spare on the top
IMAG022115.jpg

Inside of tent with seams taped and ports pulled shut, rolled up, and taped shut. I added a second ratchet hanger on the light after the pic was taken. Just a single one didn't seem like the best idea, there the smaller model. That single pole the light is hanging on is what i spent all the time looking for. In the picture there is two of them but if you look at the parts list my size tent only comes with one. The instructions are also wrong. They say that the other two should be on top and that they should be the ones that get all the weight. It would be impossible to setup that way based on the poles they sent me its the other way around. It seems sturdy enough though and I don't think its going to be a problem at all. In fact I accidentally got to test there claim of being able to hang from it. I lost my balance on the chair and had to hang on to the top bar with a decent amount of my weight to keep from falling lol Didn't seem to phase it :D
IMAG021916.jpg

I have completely rethought my plans for my garden after seeing my tent in person. Instead of turning this tent into my veg tent eventually and using my closet to veg until I move. I am thinking of going with a 2x2.5 tent for 2 moms, 2 clones or plants in veg (part time) and a single auto flower. Not sure on exacts yet but I am thinking a shelf around 3' up. On the top half I could have a marsII 80w or the reflector series if I end up being to tight on vertical space. Under the shelf I could have a reflector series or even a t5 again if space is to tight. I could start the clones down in the bottom with the moms (so they don't get lonely) and then move them up on the shelf with the autoflower to veg a bit before going in the 2x4 for flower. I will probably scrog 2 plants in the 2x4 at a time once I am done with this batch of autos. I think with a scrog the marsII 700w will be perfect amount of light for 2x4 tent. Between the 2x4 scrog and the random auto every 2-3 months I will have more than enough to supply myself. I like the idea of growing different autos to keep some fresh new strains coming in to try. I will probably stick to the smaller ones since I wont have a huge amount of space for it. Of course If I am stocked up on my non auto buds I could always run a batch of autos in my flower tent too. Im starting to get excited and a head of myself now :ganjamon::lot-o-toke::yummy:

What do you think about this setup? Think I could run both bigger lights, the marsII 80 on top and the 48w reflector on the bottom?

I am really enjoying my new hobby, learning and futzing with everything. I haven't been this active since before my surgery a couple years ago. My Fiance is not as into it as I am but she is doing ok with it and not giving me to much crap. As long as I don't make a mess and keep the smell controlled she will be cool with it all. The smell is really a big one she has a super nose so I have to make sure I stay on top of that. At least I know if she doesn't smell it no one will.

Have a good night all! :peace:

whats up smokey!! i like your setup and you have a good idea on how to maximize your space. SCROG is def the way to go to maximize space and yield so im fully suggest it with out a doubt!!

im looking at diff LEDs and trying to land on the best one for my money and space so ill be watching yours closely to see how it does for you at harvest time!!

keep up the great work.

happy growing:high-five::peace:

whats up smokey!! i like your setup and you have a good idea on how to maximize your space. SCROG is def the way to go to maximize space and yield so im fully suggest it with out a doubt!!

im looking at diff LEDs and trying to land on the best one for my money and space so ill be watching yours closely to see how it does for you at harvest time!!

keep up the great work.

happy growing:high-five::peace:

If you haven't already check out BID and IceMud's LED grow journals, they both have a lot more LED experience than I do but glad to have you here! The MarsII is the only LED I have ever used, before I used 1k watt HPS and T5s but I did an obscene amount of research on LED before buying it. The amount of proven results combined with the great price and customer service reports sold me and I couldn't be happier with my purchase! GL to you!

I came home to a nice surprise today.
IMAG022712.jpg

I planted two of them into trimmed down beer cups filled with pro-mix and placed inside my seedling tray on the heat mat until they pop. I figure it can take all of three months maybe even 4 to finish them the first time from seed so I better get cracking on them now. Hopefully there will be at least one female and I can have a couple vegged plants ready to go once the autos are done.

These will hopefully be my next grow journal. I will cover vegging them in this one since it will happen along with the auto grow. When its time to flower the plushberries I will start a new journal. I am super excited for these :D

Plushberry
Black Cherry Soda x Space Queen

Plush Berry is the first TGA offering from the kush family. While this strain has a unique trait of Pink/Magenta Calyxes this was not the motivating factor is the selection process, from the start it was all about taste and smell. The Black Cherry Soda carried a strong Black Berry smell and taste and our goal with this new Kush Hybrid was to use this terpine profile combined with Space Queen to increase potency and resin content. Tested under the name Pink Lady this new kush hybrid called Plushberry has a very strong Blackberry smell and heavy resin coating. The coloring trait is present in high numbers and adds to the overall bag appeal of the strain but its the smell and taste that is truly unique in the field of cannabis. It truely has a one of a kind terpene profile.

Phenotypes: Two main varieties occur the smaller dreading pink phenotype is my favorite. The larger more Indica dominant phenotype is the heavy yielder
Height: Very tall when grown untopped from seed, clones that are topped tend to stay shorter
Yield: Medium yielding plant with lots of resin encrusted sugar leaf for hash making
Indoor and Outdoor
Best way to grow: Top and train into a bush
Harvest: 55-65 days
Sat/Ind: 20/80
Hybrid: Black Cherry Soda x Space Queen
High Type: Relaxing and heady, very calming and good for stress
Taste: Black berry jam, raspberries, Life Savers assorted pack, and strong fruit overtones

Whats the best way to store seeds for a couple months at a time, sealed up and put in the fridge?

Nice selection on the Plushberry! I look forward to watching them grow.

Thanks I spent a good week solid reading grow and smoke reports of so many strains looking for the right one. Some of the others I wanted like Girl Scout Cookies or Blue Dream you can't get the real deal in seed form. In the end I am glad I could't get those because I got something I probably wont find on my local dispensary's menu and they sound super delicious!

Since I can't flower out a 10 pack at once and pick the best one to keep I had to go with something that had good keeper phenos no matter what you ended up with and they all sound fantastic on this one.

Back
Top Bottom