Smoking etiquette!

yeah whenever I have people over, I just throw a jar out and tell them to pack it up. Generally people are hesitant, or pack small bowls and bongs, it kind of irritates me sometimes when that happens lol. I hate having to repack after one hit

It's all about cornering... when a fresh bowl is packed it's all about being efficient and making sure that everyone involved gets some green. I've seen some people who just roast the entire bowl on the first hit, that's simply unsportsmanlike conduct.

Hmmm. It's been a while since I smoked with anybody, but if I remember right the old school smoking etiquette was:

1) No double-toking. If you cough, you lose.
2) Don't wet lip the joint.
3) If you pass it the other way in the circle, you get skipped the next time around.
4) Under no circumstances bogart that joint, my friend.
5) Roll it big enough or you gotta roll two.

;)

This one should go under a smoking lack of etiquette thread, but here goes :
A friend of mine from years ago lives in Michigan and has been a toker for almost as long as I have. I was talking to him on the phone the other day and he told me this loser he hangs out with calls him and says, "You sound like you could use one. Come on over." So he does, goes in this dude's beat up old slummy house, sits down to burn one and commenced to watch him and his girlfriend burn on that doob. Two serious deep hits and a little low intellect conversation between the two then phukboy decides there's other people there, knocks the hots off the doob trying to flick the ash, lights it again and hands it to my friend with only about 3/8 of an inch left. I'm going to guess my friend smoked it (he's pathetic that way), but I can't really finish this story because I cut him off and said, "Man I don't mean to cut you off but if you're gonna sit here and tell me you took that doob from that lowdown worthless piece of $hit phukkin ______ * don't EVEN tell people you know me." So he didn't finish the story. :)
Smoking etiquette in a situation like this would go as follows (in my book) : When you are handed the doob after a disgraceful Dinner with the Bogarts insult like this, you smile politely..... Okay sarcastically and say, "Oh no, you two seem to be enjoying that. Go ahead," and without saying another word, leave. And never speak to him again. Just like that old joke about if somebody borrows ten dollars and you never see them again. That's a good deal! Sumpter Township, Michigan. Glad I left those losers behind.....

*Gotta imagine it's pretty nasty, huh?
:peace:

take two and pass, all the time i smoke with people and mostly girls do it but every one does it when they are rambling and dont pass the blunt, errr that pisses me off when i can see the precious mary jane smoke burning while you tell me some crappy story i never wanted to hear in the first place! Take two and pass yo!

Also i never heard any of these "rules" that if you dont corner the bowl you go to the end of the line. Not every one knows to do that, and not every one is completely sober enough to remember every time. If im smoking a bowl around people im going to pass it to them and it will continue around the same order until it is done.

In Australia everybody is so skeptical about 'bad' and 'laced' weed. I always have and always will take the first hit unless I find new mates.

There logic is like this, "If there's something wrong with it, you're going to be the one to find out" Haha!

I just wanna smoke ya know... Haven't had a 'bad' batch so far!

Great topic!!! I hate when you pack a bowl for someone and it comes back completely black...and roasted...like WTF!! If you get greenz....definitely you gotta corner or half the greens....I am also supprized how many don't know this.....

When I first moved to Cali...it was weird to me but people here pack what they call "snaps" Instead of packing the entire bong bowl, they just pack enough for one solid rip and that person clears it from green to ash...Kind of sucks when your last in rotation, but usually that spot is for the "scavanger smoker" anyways...lol... this ensures that everyone gets a solid green rip!!!

Some more etiquette:::
When passing a bowl/piece whatever you call it...if your a slobber smoker or even if your not...wipe the bowl end where your mouth goes before passing it...

If your sick....and you know it....don't be hitting other peoples pieces!!!! bring your own hitter and smoke by yourself...yea we like to share greens, but not the shitz...lol..

Don't puff on a blunt like its your first bit of oxygen in a year!! take a hit...hold it in...if you sit there puffing it like a cigar, your wasting the weed man!!! and you don't look cool doing it....lol I look at you like, why you wasting my weed homie!!! lol

When passing around a joint or blunt....don't crush the living shiz out of the end or tip....don't you understand common sense, if you take a garden hose and crush it...very little water comes thru.....

Never, I mean never pass someone an ass hit...cashed hit....unless that person is a scavenger smoker or someone that needs to get the hint..bring your own....there's nothing worse that not knowing u got a cashed hit that seems to powdercoat your throat with ash....

If a blunt, joint or piece is in rotation, hit that shit and pass it!!! dont babysit it and finish your conversation, because at that point, nobody is listening and everyone is wondering, when is this mofo going to pass it!!! lol... u hold it more than a minute is too long...lol

its puff puff pass with joints and blunts...I don't see why thats so hard to understand...u hit it 2x and pass it...not 3 or 4....unless its your greens..then do with what you like...lol

If you eatin some messy shiz, wipe your mouth before hittin the pipe...I don't want to taste cheetos when I'm smoking some kush....unless its a rare strain...lol

When your smokin with peeps...stay positive...nobody like a downer to sit there and complain...smoking is fun...keep it that way!!

I want to add to my list, just remembered another....

When your smoking out of someone else's glass piece (bong, bowl, pipe...) and you break it, it is your responsibility as the one who broke it to offer to replace it as soon as possible, with one equal or greater in quality...

take two and pass, all the time i smoke with people and mostly girls do it but every one does it when they are rambling and dont pass the blunt, errr that pisses me off when i can see the precious mary jane smoke burning while you tell me some crappy story i never wanted to hear in the first place! Take two and pass yo!

Also i never heard any of these "rules" that if you dont corner the bowl you go to the end of the line. Not every one knows to do that, and not every one is completely sober enough to remember every time. If im smoking a bowl around people im going to pass it to them and it will continue around the same order until it is done.

Yeah, those mentally challenged toke-n-talk folks suck. If severe depression were a cake, they'd be the icing..... :(

In Australia everybody is so skeptical about 'bad' and 'laced' weed. I always have and always will take the first hit unless I find new mates.

Not sure about Australia but in America people rarely lace weed with any sort of drug because they would be loosing money. Its not cost effective to lace some ones weed and sell it for the same price. And if they did spray it with some bull shit (Like i heard stories of people spraying the bud with bug spray and shit) No one smoking it is even going to notice.

When your smoking out of someone else's glass piece (bong, bowl, pipe...) and you break it, it is your responsibility as the one who broke it to offer to replace it as soon as possible, with one equal or greater in quality...

yes that is a good one and should be a staple in every stoners rule book!

Yeah, those mentally challenged toke-n-talk folks suck. If severe depression were a cake, they'd be the icing..... :(

haha yup you said it. I almost got in a fight at a party one time because some dudes girlfriend was rambling on with the blunt in her hand and there was like 7 people in the circle so i was only gonna hit it a few times and shes sitting there talkin to her friend not even hitting the blunt, i said something to her and her bf got all tough and i said calm down.

Not sure about Australia but in America people rarely lace weed with any sort of drug because they would be loosing money. Its not cost effective to lace some ones weed and sell it for the same price. And if they did spray it with some bull shit (Like i heard stories of people spraying the bud with bug spray and shit) No one smoking it is even going to notice.

No offense mate like legit... none... But are you okay in the head? If I went to light my weed and the the whole bud, or all the chop went up in a blue flame for a moment because someone just laced it with bug spray (DOES happen in Australia). Yes, people WILL notice. It would also kill the taste. at work I spray lots of bug spray. I don't smoke it... yet the taste of it from in the air leaves me spitting for hours.

It is also common knowledge that in Aussie people have laced with tiny bits of glass looking like THC to add weight. Many people ended up in hospital for a few months. Guessing the dealer got his.

In Germany they used to lace it with Lead in some places I heard.

In my neighborhood it gets laced with speed occasionally.

So in regards to your comment that says its not effective for your wallet... I'm pretty sure adding weight that will kill your customer before he dobs is a great way to earn some cash... Unless they're are looking for return business hahaha

If I met someone who laced weed like that... He'd know about it within the time it takes my fist to reach his face. Not promoting violence...

I'd tell him to chill and have a cone... but that would do more damage than the punch... hahaha

No offense mate like legit... none... But are you okay in the head? If I went to light my weed and the the whole bud, or all the chop went up in a blue flame for a moment because someone just laced it with bug spray (DOES happen in Australia). Yes, people WILL notice. It would also kill the taste. at work I spray lots of bug spray. I don't smoke it... yet the taste of it from in the air leaves me spitting for hours.

It is also common knowledge that in Aussie people have laced with tiny bits of glass looking like THC to add weight. Many people ended up in hospital for a few months. Guessing the dealer got his.

In Germany they used to lace it with Lead in some places I heard.

In my neighborhood it gets laced with speed occasionally.

So in regards to your comment that says its not effective for your wallet... I'm pretty sure adding weight that will kill your customer before he dobs is a great way to earn some cash... Unless they're are looking for return business hahaha

If I met someone who laced weed like that... He'd know about it within the time it takes my fist to reach his face. Not promoting violence...

I'd tell him to chill and have a cone... but that would do more damage than the punch... hahaha

wow you didnt have to be mean :( like i said "Im not sure about in australia but in america...."

Wow, just read this thread, and brought back 'good' memories of my time in the States.

Grew up in Europe, and lived in Asia for over a decade, and coming to America was again totally different. Lived in Cal. for a few months, and NY/Boston, and thought I'd just write down a few of my experiences.

OK, when I was starting, this was in England, we would roll a joint with tobacco, and a cardboard filter in it. Usually with hashish, as the grass there was not that good in the Eighties. Anyway, so a joint with hashish, and plenty of tobacco, as you needed the tobacco to get the rubbish hash to burn, so three or four tokes was normal.
Also, if you rolled the joint, you would load it up at the end with hash, and put mainly tobacco near the roach ( filter ), so you would spark it up, take 4 or 5 tokes, until you tasted the tobacco coming through, and only then pass it! You also knew that everyone else was doing this as well, so if you were third or fourth in the circle you knew it would be hot and usually just tobacco.

So thankfully I moved to Holland, then later to Spain and Switzerland, and there it was much better scene, with more quality hash and ganja, so the etiquette changed as well. Toke, toke, pass was def. etiquette in Holland, even though they still smoked joints with tobacco, even if there was grass available. The Dutch also seemed to have a 'thing' about rolling ornate joints, like the tulip, and different joints with two or more joints integrated into one. Difficult to explain, but you've all surely seen them. These joints seemed too beautiful to smoke when I first got there, but soon overcame this mind-set!

In Switzerland they also use tobacco, but seem to have a thing about trying not to smoke too much paper, so they roll the joint with the sticky part of the paper inside, and then lick it through the paper to wet it, and then rip off the excess paper, so that the paper doesn't overlap, only on the sticky bit. I've heard it called the inside-out joint, or the back-flip, and used to quite like this method.

In Spain from my experiences it seemed that they only smoked single paper small stubby fat joints, trying to get the paper to be really fat, so not 'wasting' any of the paper. Also a lot of tobacco, and usually hashish.

Then I moved to Asia. Yeah! In India and Nepal they seemed to use chillums, and you would have your own personal chillum with you, and fill it up and smoke it all yourself. If it was a really big chillum then some people would pass it, but usually it was a very individual process. They also used to touch the chillum to their head first, as a sign of respect/devotion to Lord Shiva, and I quickly adopted that as part of my smoking etiquette. Also 'spit' is 'unclean', so that's probably why they don't pass chillums or joints there. This chillum method also used tobacco and hashish or charas. Have to have tobacco to get the hash and charas to burn. If they didn't have a chillum they would get a cigarette, empty out the tobacco without ripping the paper, by twisting it and then knocking it out of the end of the cigarette, then throw a bit of the tobacco away, and replace it with hash or ganja, and then mix the mix together and suck the mix through the filter back into the cigarette. This looks awesome, but takes some serious practise, but then you can walk around smoking a 'cigarette', which looks like a cigarette, which is nice. You can also have 'special' cigarettes in your pack of cigs, and no-one can tell the difference, once you've perfected the art. Only thing that annoyed me about this was that some people kept the filter in, and that seemed a bit silly.

Then moved to Thailand, and they used bongs made out of bamboo. Lovely. Had a nice, organic taste. Loved this. In the villages they used to roll joints with papers with no glue on them, so you used to roll your own joint, and hold it tightly to stop it unravelling, which was nice. You couldn't really pass it, as it would open up. This stayed with me as well.

I then went to the States and again new 'rules' to learn. Toke, toke, pass, always pass to the left, the whole 'bowl' culture as already described and covered.

Been in Jamaica, where it seems everyone rolls their own joint, and never passes it. I found this OK as well, as you could regulate how much you smoked, which is always nice! Have heard other stories about Jamaica, but I was there a month, and hardly ever got a joint passed to me. Probably says more about me than about the Jamaicans. :-( Although they were very generous with giving out the ganja, just you always had to roll it yourself and smoke it yourself.

Have smoked in Iran as well, but there the culture is based around opium. Love Iran, although I was very worried the first time there, but awesome country, and in the privacy of their own homes the Iranians are friendly and want to know about the 'west', etc. First time I was invited to an Iranian home, the man of the house asked me if I smoked, and I said yes, thinking he was talking about marijuana, and all of a sudden the water-pipe was brought out, and loaded with opium. Very nice!

Burma as well, tried to find ganja, but only really found opium. Ganja was there, but was hardly ever smoked, it was just growing wild. Had the strange experience of smoking opium mixed with aspirin tablets in one village, as it was 'better for you' that way. Still haven't worked that one out! I'm sure there's some logic there somewhere.

Yes, rambling a bit now, so I'll go back on topic...

My smoking etiquette...

I don't smoke tobacco anymore, so it's just a bong or a pipe for me. If it's just me and the wife, we have our oen preferences - my wife still smokes a little tobacco, so she makes a joint and smokes it herself, I will fill a bowl and smoke it myself. Perfect.
If people come round then we have a variety of smoking paraphernalia here - and anyone is free to take their choice - papers, bong or pipe, but just smoke for yourself, there's no 'passing' anything. If you want a bong, fill it up and smoke it all, job done! If you want to smoke a joint, do that, but smoke it yourself. This way there is no pressure to smoke more than you want ( or less than you want ), and everyone can have their 'perfect' dose.

Also no chance of getting colds ( or worse ) passed round with the joint/bong, and avoids the things I don't like - like smoking a wet joint ( gross ), or smoking a badly-made joint, or having to smoke a bowl that has no 'green' left, etc.

Not really very sociable, but I find the actual ingestion of marijuana should be a private, personal experience. I always say a little 'prayer' to 'Mother Nature' or Shivaji before I smoke, and usually load the bowl up half-full, so that I don't waste any ganja. Easier to load up two small bowls than to load up a huge bowl, and then find out you can't smoke it all, and have to leave it just to burn and waste it.

Once I'm stoned then I get very sociable, but the actual 'smoking' part is for me a very private experience and I like to do it just for me. Freaks out first-time visitors to my place sometimes, but they soon accept it, especially when they're high as well. If there's a group coming then they can pass a joint, pass a bowl, do what they want really, but nice if they accept my little quirks, and don't offer me a toke on a soggy wet, badly rolled joint of mainly tobacco.

Honestly, I don't care if I get a "green hit" or not, as long as I get a good hit. Nothing's worse than getting the bowl, going to hit it, and having that sh_t be cashed. Proper weed etiquette to me, includes the following:

1. No slobbering on the bowl/joint/blunt. If I go to hit it and it's wet, I'm saying something.
2. No bogarting. We all want to smoke, take two hits and pass that sh_t.
3. If you bring weed to a stoner's house, you have to smoke with them. It's only polite.
4. If you're hitting a bowl or bong, and feel like you're going to cough mid-hit, take the damn thing away from your mouth so you don't end up blowing all the weed out onto the floor.

Feel free to add to the list if there's anything I missed. :)

Back
Top Bottom