Sneeky’s RDWC Wedding Cake, 2021

sneekymofo

The Plan
This is my second attempt in this closet with this particular setup. Some things I have to fix BEFORE starting: flip my intake fan to intake instead of exhaust (because the pull on the tent has been so bad with that much suction I feel like I’m going to rip the canvas off the frame - I was in a hurry and threw it in backwards duh); my carbon filter will be placed externally to the grow room and exhaust pushed through as this will give me some head room for the grow; I will build a trellis IN ADANCE since when these things get going I will not be able to get to them without supports and I want to stay on top of the plants this time; finally PAR reading and light heights marked in advance so I don’t have to wrestle with things in the way once growth starts.

What strain is it? Wedding Cake, Barney’s Farm
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid, 80% Indica, 20% Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?Popping Beans
If in Veg... For how long?Planning on a 5 week veg, 8 week flower but that depends on Veg behavior
Indoor or outdoor?Indoor
If indoor...Dimensions (L x W x D) of grow space?4x4 Veg/Flower, 1x1 Mother
Soil or Hydro? Hydroponic, RDWC
Size of light? 680W LED Full Spectrum dimmable
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab? Avg 74F, range 68F-81F
RH of Room/cab? Avg 57%, range 51-66%
PH of media or res?Goal start at 5.6x, allow drift up and back down with weekly reservoir changes
Any Pests ?None
How often are you watering? Perpetual
Type and strength of ferts used? General Hydroponics 10-part Professional, Moderate Feed strength, bump to Aggressive in flower of plants can take it.

4A169772-F92D-444B-AB91-7F1F8E138D5E.jpeg
Picked these 4 because, well, they looked like they wanted to grow.

99379626-F989-4E26-9BD5-7450696D51F0.jpeg

24 hours in water, I’ll wait for them to sink and then into paper towels and the dark to wait for tails! It always feels like the first day of school on this side of things, doesn’t it?!?

The Plan
This is my second attempt in this closet with this particular setup. Some things I have to fix BEFORE starting: flip my intake fan to intake instead of exhaust (because the pull on the tent has been so bad with that much suction I feel like I’m going to rip the canvas off the frame - I was in a hurry and threw it in backwards duh); my carbon filter will be placed externally to the grow room and exhaust pushed through as this will give me some head room for the grow; I will build a trellis IN ADANCE since when these things get going I will not be able to get to them without supports and I want to stay on top of the plants this time; finally PAR reading and light heights marked in advance so I don’t have to wrestle with things in the way once growth starts.

What strain is it? Wedding Cake, Barney’s Farm
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid, 80% Indica, 20% Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?Popping Beans
If in Veg... For how long?Planning on a 5 week veg, 8 week flower but that depends on Veg behavior
Indoor or outdoor?Indoor
If indoor...Dimensions (L x W x D) of grow space?4x4 Veg/Flower, 1x1 Mother
Soil or Hydro? Hydroponic, RDWC
Size of light? 680W LED Full Spectrum dimmable
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab? Avg 74F, range 68F-81F
RH of Room/cab? Avg 57%, range 51-66%
PH of media or res?Goal start at 5.6x, allow drift up and back down with weekly reservoir changes
Any Pests ?None
How often are you watering? Perpetual
Type and strength of ferts used? General Hydroponics 10-part Professional, Moderate Feed strength, bump to Aggressive in flower of plants can take it.

4A169772-F92D-444B-AB91-7F1F8E138D5E.jpeg
Picked these 4 because, well, they looked like they wanted to grow.

99379626-F989-4E26-9BD5-7450696D51F0.jpeg

24 hours in water, I’ll wait for them to sink and then into paper towels and the dark to wait for tails! It always feels like the first day of school on this side of things, doesn’t it?!?

Sneekymofo, now don't forget to save me a piece of that cake. lol
Spark up my friend

Thanks Rex! I felt that root snap and felt muh butt pucker a little. I HATE it when they get into the towel…grrr
Yup- I've had that happen. To be honest, I've moved away from the paper towel method and fallen in love with rapid rooters. Presoak them- insert bean and done!
I hope everything else goes off without a hitch for you

So I noticed the ‘reluctant bean’ was poking her head out, so I did some tweezer surgery to set her free. The plant the lost the root tip is showing signs of being pissy…

33576938-B6DE-4AD2-B7FF-10B906D552ED.jpeg

Post surgery seemingly no worse for wear!

520C77AA-7A8E-4A88-B839-2AE4C4CFAAF8.jpeg

This little girl looks angry - think that root tip is gonna bite me in the butt….

So now everyone is awake and moving around! We’ve got two girls working on their second set of leaves, and the one that was late to the party just began hers…

5B36CD44-3586-471E-A7C3-38A05A72019A.jpeg

This is the root-hurt baby, just starting her second set just a lil behind her sisters…

1FD46268-F4CB-46DD-9BC1-2DD16DBD02DE.jpeg

This is the reluctant bean, but she is showing that first leaf - yay!!!
F8E00A85-3115-4EFC-99AC-56B0405EEC1C.jpeg

Decent root support on all of them so far…
AC88165E-7123-4B08-A833-8FAE9A862E8C.jpeg

This is the way the other three look - good start. Have some algae on the rock wool since I have the bigger girls just a taste of nutes since they were working on their second set. Generally don’t put anything but H2O in to this stage, but have to stretch by a week to get my previous grow hang out of the way.

Week One: Vegetative

I was stalled for a week waiting for my closet to be clear of my previous grow, so had to keep these seedlings alive on a week nute feed in the greenhouse. Caused quite a lot of algae but it shouldn’t be a problem since it will be buried under hydroton.

I lopped off the first true leaves on all the girls as they were about used up. Hate doing that, but they looked pretty rough and sucked dry.

Light is 30” or so, at 80% dim for a few days to give time to adjust. TDS at 875, pH 5.65. Room temps at 74, RH at 52% starting. Water temps 66 at the epicenter, 68 at the root zone.

E913781E-89B1-4932-98EC-6A483FFDF6BF.jpeg

Cleaned everything up and got the room ready. Filthy from the last run!

5EC15A3F-7F0C-4917-A7A8-EFA3A11DC75D.jpeg

Here’s a pic of one of the girls. She working on her third set of true leaves, but lost the first set to nute cannibalism.

Just noticed this AM that for some reason my air regulator is showing 2x the air that normally goes through the system is moving through. Basically I went from 30 inches to 60 inches. I’m not sure why - but should I care? Right now the only issue is that the return pump picks up a lot of air so it’s a lot noisier than it was, and I’ve never been in a position to monitor it really. I dialed it back to 30 ‘just in case’ since I normally run it here and I was trying to quiet the return pump a little by getting rid of the air getting sucked into the return. But running it at 60 inches - will that affect pH or anything else that might get me later? Just wondering - and happy Tuesday to everyone!

AB1E4084-A446-4FDC-B49D-0E5BA97DCD64.jpeg

Sooo…I woke up this AM to very low humidity levels (like 42% RO) and the girls are just dropping roots, which is a huge no-no. Wasn’t paying attention to the weather changes and they caught me. Anyway, they are throwing roots now just not quite to the sauce so I raised the water a bit to meet them in the middle, but they are unhappy right now. Took a relative pic of how they are all looking right now…

0F7B3130-FEE2-4FAD-AA94-FC8AE8BAEE3C.jpeg

Clearly drying out from the bottoms up and with the lack of topside humidity they was ANGRY!

76AC732C-C337-44AA-9137-0E08D3F7C471.jpeg

Roots ‘almost’ there but not quite. Prolly stalled growth for a few days, but don’t think I killed anyone yet lol

And another problem to report. pH was drifting up unusually. I don’t normally check this late in the week, but since the girls weren’t doing well I didn’t want to add insult to injury. I did a quick check and found two HUGE leftover root-masses from my previous grow that had engaged with my rear manifold screens, and they were just in there, rotting away. Gross. I don’t think I even looked….

Anyway, cleaned that out and note to self: DON’T RUSH GROW ROOM BREAK DOWN lol.

And just like that, with that pH adjustment (heck, it had climbed all the way up to 6.65), bringing the water to the roots, and CLEANING THE SYSTEM lol the girls are off and running!

F6AAB8AE-68E4-4B37-B45C-3651441FEAF5.jpeg

Looking so much moar bettah now! Obviously unhappy for a few days early on, but I think I’m out of the woods. When I do a rez changeout tomorrow I’m also going to do a root check visual to make sure I didn’t miss anything else stupid…. pH holding at 5.87 so I hope not

There's a fair amount of equipment in your setup so I can see how something might slip by you. This might be a little overkill but how about a written "SOP" ("standing operating procedures")?

You could do one for each bucket, one for the main res or pump, and then another for the miscellaneous stuff. It will help you track what's done/not done. That would allow you to know when you're done and it would also allow you to do a partial cleanup and walk away from it and then come back to it and pick up where you left off. Yeh, it's extra paperwork but might avoid problems down the road.

Back
Top Bottom