Snezola’s Aussie Autumn Outdoor Auto 2018 - Green Crack - Gorilla Glue - Chem Bubbly

snezola

420 Member
Snezola’s Aussie Autumn outdoor auto 2018 (3 different strains)

Sour bubbly (or chem bubbly, the site is giving me mixed signals) by a NSW breeder
Indica/sativa/ruderalis (doesn’t specify percentages)
Start to finish: 9wks
Reckons you can get up to 90g yield p/plant outdoor but we’ll see.

Green Crack by Fast Buds
Afghani/Skunk 1/Ruderalis (doesn’t specify percentages)
Start to finish: 8wks
70 – 300g per plant outdoor

Gorilla Glue by Fast Buds
Indica/Sativa/Ruderalis (again, doesn’t specify)
Start to finish: 8-9 wks
50 – 300g p/plant outdoor

These are all auto-fem seeds.

Seeds have been planted planted in those little jiffy peat pellet pots. I plan to get some big pots (20L, about 5 gallons) and use a mix of coir block and vermiculite/perlite (I am open to suggestions on what ratio to use these in.) and just bang those jiffy pots straight in there. It was my partner’s idea to use these peat pellet thingies and at first, I was worried they’d take too long to break down to allow for an autoflower’s roots to grow quickly but after wetting them they’re already fragile and I can see it’s not gonna be a problem.

I grabbed a soil pH tester and I tested the ph of three things: the wet jiffy pot, the tap water, and the damp coir mix. Both the jiffy pots and coir were wet with regular tap water that had been sitting in my watering can for a day or so. I tested after only about 10 minutes.
Since it is a soil testing kit, I’m not sure how effective it is for testing water. I just put a drop of water (instead of a soil sample) on the white plate, added a drop of dye and mixed, and added the barium powder as I did for the soil.
Coir: 6.5 (neutral)
Jiffy pot: 4.5(acidic)
Water: 8.5 (alkaline)

I find it hard to believe that a jiffy pot would test as 4.5 for raising seedlings? Is that not a bit harsh?
Will the alkalinity of my water balance this out quickly enough that my poor baby beans won’t suffer a traumatic childhood?

As my water is alkaline and my coir is neutral and google tells me vermiculite is neutral, will I run into issues with pH after putting them into the final pots? I guess I’ll monitor the soil ph as I go and find out.
Note: i didn't test the pH of fresh-out-of-the-tap water, only the water that had been sitting in the watering can.

I plan to use 2 fertilisers after the first couple of weeks: nitrosol for veg and potash plus for flowering. I haven’t bought/used these yet so I don’t know how strong to mix it or whatever but I’ll figure it out. If anybody has some advice about these fertilisers I’m all ears.
the first and last 2 weeks of the grow will be just pure water. Well… pure tap water.

It’s autumn and we’re having some tropical weather with an unusual amount of cloud and rain for this area. Today it’s lovely and sunny and 26 degrees (76F) but the last week has been miserable. I just looked at the 7-day forecast and it’s all over the place.
13 hours of light (in their place in the garden they’ll be lucky to get 10 hours)
Highest day temp for the week is forecast at 37c and lowest night temp is 13c (99F and 55F respectively)
Thunderstorms on the hot days
RH ranging from 24% – 68%

under the text box it says 35 and 37, whoooops

So I think that’s not a bad start to life for my baby beans. My main aim is to not kill them and waste my money! I’m a broke-ass bitch, that’s why I want to grow instead of buying the crap people sell around here. I'm aware that autos don't usually yield a whole lot and this is my first informed grow (grew 3 bagseed photo-regs last year that didn't turn out great because we had no idea what we were doing; so I decided to do my research this time!) hoping to achieve at least the minimum yields stated above^^

also! in case of bugs I plan to use Neem coz a) after doing research I realised that last year's plants had evidence of spider mites and I didn't do anything about it and b) neem is fairly cheap and has a good rep I've got other stuff in the garden such as tomatoes, capsicum, pumpkins and herbs so if i've got existing bugs it's really only a matter of time so I thought I'd be prepared.

this is day 1 over and out, wish me luck!

These little beans have surprised me every day. I planted them very shallowly and loosely in the jiffy pellets - and now they have dried out a little the peat has sort of cracked apart, allowing me to see how the taproots are doing. I've never done the paper towel method or soak-inna-cup-of-water method, so to be able to see movement is exciting for me!

The jiffy pellets are kept outside under the back porch during the day and I bring them inside of a night time; I figure if i'm cold then they're cold and I don't want to stunt them at all, being autos. During the day the pellets lose quite a bit of moisture but never completely dry out. At night I drop a bit of water (maybe 5ml) into the bottom of the glass bowl they're sitting in and cover loosely with glad wrap and put it on top of another bowl containing warm water to create a little greenhouse environment. I leave it there overnight and take the glad wrap off in the morning when I put them back outside. My aim was to encourage the seeds to sprout but I'm going to stop that as the seeds are quite obviously doing just fine and probably don't need my help anymore.

top left: gorilla glue. Top right: chem bubbly. bottom: green crack

Green crack is truly living up to its name: It was the first to crack and show green.
Next out the gate was Gorilla Glue.
Bringing up the rear is Chem Bubbly, which took a lot longer to crack than the others and I was concerned with the viability of the seed (have heard mixed reports about the breeder) but is closing in.

green crack: this picture is a bit better at conveying colour.
a question for y'all: are these root hairs? or is GG's taproot growing mould or fungus or something? moist warm environments are great for that sort of thing so I'm a little concerned but after a little research I'm leaning towards root hairs... or maybe that's wishful thinking. the seed head is out of focus but have a squiz at the white fuzzy bit right near it and tell me what you think! The soil looks very wet with the flash on, but I promise they're just damp; not drowning.

I'll probably give these babies 3-4 more days before I plant the peat pellets into the final pots. The roots seem to be going crazy. I'll rip open the bottoms of the pellet stockings when I do this. I don't want them to run into a wall (literally) in the early stages of life.
I found the 3x20L pots I used last year in the shed, should I clean these before using them? if so what should I use to clean them?

I'm calling this day one. 3/3 germed, 1/3 sprouted and the others are popping their heads up to follow suit. I'm so proud of my girls :')

I just bought some seeds on sale. I’m having buyers remorse now that I’m looking at my bank account though.
It's an investment though. That's the way I look at it anyway. Just learn from my mistakes and keep your investment safe!
Baaaad mousey!!! :eek:

So so sorry to hear it snez...
tip on the protection - triangles are strong and easy to build ;)
Definitely on the cards! I'm pretty good at building stuff so I'll get straight onto that and get it ready before I plant my next ones. What an expensive learning curve!

Amy: your triangle looks like a chicken tractor. I had several of those years ago when I was doing back yard chickens. All of that is gone now, unfortunately.
That’s too funny Bear! :) They would have to be little chickens (if you’re talking about the cage I covered my babies in when they were seedlings). My triangular cage was pretty small, about 1.5ft high only... and yeah with chicken wire so I can see how it’d look like one - don’t think I’ve ever seen a chicken tractor...?

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Grow Journals

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom