Snow White & More

re: Snow White & More

I pulled snow white #1 and diesel out and they are finally losing nutrients! I went crazy and trimmed the fan leaves to get even more nutrients out of the plants

IMG_20140106_191502336.jpg
IMG_20140106_191746219.jpg

Loving the defoliation there!

I wonder how much effect it would have to periodically remove leaves during the final half of flowering going 12/12 from seed. Ya know, to kick the nutes out as good as possible...

I was debating doing it or not, then I read this and went ahead with it.

Speeding Up The Flushing Process

Remove some of the fan leaves 14 days before harvest. It helps speed up the flushing process and or makes flushing unnecessary (Homemadepot, 03.13.2002).

some other good info:

Reduce the Stretch

If fan leaves are trimmed during the early flowering stage, the stretch is reduced (Che Bleu, 03.13.2002). Reducing the stretch might be advantageous in certain cultivation conditions.

Reduce The Chance of Mould

Removal of dead fan leaves is necessary to reduce the risk of mould. Failing to “clear the airway” can lead to development of mould in the “crowded” areas of the plant (Jeast, 03.13.2002).

Scrog growers may also reduce the chance of mould by removing fan leaves due to reduce the level of transpiration. This is because many scrog grows are in a confined space where humidity is a serious problem (DoctorDangerous, 09.04.2002). However with better ventilation it may be necessary to avoid the mould problem (Nietzsche, 09.04.2002).

HOW DO FAN LEAVES FUNCTION

The large fan leaves have a definite function in the growth and development of cannabis. Large leaves serve as photosynthetic factories for the production of sugars and other necessary growth substances. Most cannabis plants begin to lose their larger leaves when they enter the flowering stage and this trend continues on until senescence (death of the plant).

Fan leaves account for the greatest area for the reception of photons on a plant, thus they account for the majority of photosynthesis which occurs within a plant. Cells in the plant’s leaves, called chloroplasts, contain a green pigment called chlorophyll which interacts with sunlight to split the water in the plant into its basic components. Leaves only absorb about 15% of the solar energy that hits them, the other 85% passes through-- but they reflect all the green light, which means it looks darker below the leaf to a human than it does to the plant because our eyes are most sensitive to the green spectrum (Shipperke, 03.15.2002).

Photosynthesis occurs in all green parts of plants. The process has two stages, the light reactions and the Calvin cycle, that convert water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen. These sugars are later used to power all the processes in the plant, including the synthesis of THC and other cannabinoids (Shipperke, 04.02.2002; Ca, 03.13.2002). Fan leaves possess the greatest number of stomata, which are small pores or valves on the underside of the leaf which water vapor and carbon dioxide diffuse during transpiration and photosynthesis (carbon fixation). Carbon dioxide first enters the leaf through the stomata and combines with the stored energy in the chloroplasts through a chemical reaction (the Calvin cycle) to produce a simple sugar. This sugar is unloaded into the tissues and transported through tubes in the leaf to supply the synthesized food to other plant parts such as growing or respiring tissues like young leaves, roots, and flowers of the plant. meristems (UK Tricky Knome, 03.14.2002).

Removal of fan leaves will not only slow growth, but it will also hinder the plants ability to rid itself of toxic gases, and also hinder the regulation of the plants temperature via stomata. Changes in the plants chemical metabolism caused by fan leave removal causes the plant to work overtime to rid ?toxins? with less leaves, as a result the pant may allocate more growth hormones into growing more leaves to make up for what has been lost(Equator, 03.15.2002). Removing large amounts of fan leaves may also interfere with the metabolic balance of the plant. Leaf removal may also cause sex reversal resulting from a metabolic imbalance.

There is a relationship regarding the amount of carbohydrates a leaf produces and CO2 intake relative to outside forces. When you have a situation whereby the leaf is no longer productive for the plant for whatever reason that may be - low light, old age, disease, insect attack etc, the plant will discard it. (Thunderbunny as citied, by Nietzsche, 03.13.2002.

Plants have two different kinds of vessels in their stems to move stuff around, xylem and phloem. Xylem runs from the roots up the stem carrying water and nutrients. Phloem runs both up and down to move sugars hormones, proteins, etc but mostly sugars. Each part of the plant can be either a sugar source or a sugar sink (Shipperke, 03.15.2002). Phloem moves from sources (areas of supply) to sinks (areas of metabolism or storage). Granted that the flowers can produce some photosynthate, but they are no where near as effective as fan leaves (resin glands significantly reduce light to the tissue they are found on). Flowers are sink tissues, leaves are source tissues. Sinks do not produce enough photosynthate, and are importers. Sources give photosynthate to sinks in closest proximity. Upper leaves bring sucrose to shoot apical meristem and young leaves while lower leaves bring goodies to roots (UK Tricky Knome, 03.17.2002). Remove the source and the sink will be affected (Diels Alder, 03.15.2002).

The leaves at the top of a plant tend to supply the top growing shoots. The leaves at the bottom of the plant tend to supply the roots. The middle leaves can go either way as the demand changes. During flowering and fruiting, only the very bottom leaves supply the roots and the rest of the leaves try to get as much energy as possible to the flowers of fruits. For this reason, the more leaves are unshaded and in good light, the more chance the plant has of creating extra storage of energy that will ultimately go into yield (Leaf, 03.13.2002). However Jeast (03.13.02) believes that the rich green leaves emerging from the bud are a sufficient energy source of solar energy for the plant’s floral development. Therefore the old fan leaves are once again rendered useless and only drain energy from the developing part of the plant (Jeast, 03.13.02).

Fan leaves store mobile nutrients, these stored nutrients are essential in the later stages of flowering. When flushing a plant the fan leaves will lose their color quickly. This is because the nutrients are being mobilized to the atypical meristem (grow tip, bud site). Draining your fan leaves with a flushing period will increase floral development (Ca, 13.03.2002). Fan leaves therefore serve as a nutrient deficiency buffer zone for the plant (Higstar, 03.13.2002).

Nutrient burn usually causes bottom leaves begin to die however DaGnome (03.15.2002) observed that if you do not remove the leaves then they will absorb damage as premature removal generally results in more leaf loss. However if growing hydroponically under ideal conditions it could be argued that fan leaves serve as a nutrient buffer is a moot point.

here is a sneek peek of snow white #2. I think she grew so well because of her low stress lifestyle. as you can see she will have a proper flush by the time she's done.

IMG_20140107_245737321.jpg
IMG_20140106_203818461.jpg
IMG_20140106_224346679.jpg

Fluxxing great info B. I believe each one should read your last post thoroughly & come to their own deductive reasoning of why to defoil or not. As you came to a yea decision I have been & now feel even more comfortable with a nay decision.
In my opinion, if you let that plant use the fan leafs until they're done with them (discard of them "yellowing falling off") you'll reap all the benefits they have to offer. As long as you have some half decent side lighting (not necessarily as strong as the top lighting, as holds true in it's natural habitat) there's no need to remove fan leafs.
That's how I felt prior to reading that post & feel more since reading it.

Happy Tokerday Br that was a lot to read lol
Happy Tokerday :thumb:

Fluxxing great info B. I believe each one should read your last post thoroughly & come to their own deductive reasoning of why to defoil or not. As you came to a yea decision I have been & now feel even more comfortable with a nay decision.
In my opinion, if you let that plant use the fan leafs until they're done with them (discard of them "yellowing falling off") you'll reap all the benefits they have to offer. As long as you have some half decent side lighting (not necessarily as strong as the top lighting, as holds true in it's natural habitat) there's no need to remove fan leafs.
That's how I felt prior to reading that post & feel more since reading it.

thanks! I found it in ed rodenthal's handbook. I suggest everyone that grows read it.

the plants are 10 weeks in bloom today, 12 weeks old. I'm going to check the trichs tonight when the lights come on.

they are still throwing out pistils. I'm mad I didn't flush them properly.

IMG_20140108_170540176.jpg
IMG_20140108_170453286.jpg

Great info b.real, thankyou

+ reps for the time and effort it took to share that info.

I agree with you, its a must read

Your girls look even better than last pics... :bravo:

thanks! I found that info in ed rosenthal handbook.

I might cut snow white #1 after her soil dries even though she's still growing because I need some smoke.

Nothing worse than needing weed my friend! The longer you hold out, the better the smoke will be though.

Ahh, to chop, or not to chop...

You ain't kidding! The trichs keep getting more and more cloudy

Nothing worse than needing weed my friend! The longer you hold out, the better the smoke will be though.

Ahh, to chop, or not to chop...

I know what mean... Just looking at my buds makes me wanna fast forward time a bit.

Keep it green my friend

so I cut snow white #1 down tonight at 12 weeks 3 days old, 10 weeks 3 days in bloom. I just couldn't resist myself, I need some smoke.

IMG_20140110_234316972.jpg
IMG_20140110_234504863.jpg
IMG_20140110_234401069.jpg
IMG_20140111_241227304.jpg
IMG_20140111_241301584.jpg
IMG_20140111_241247899.jpg
IMG_20140111_240441979_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom