So I have Foxtails!

SECRETGARDNER

Hi Everyone.
Growing Super Lemon Haze and I am just past 9 weeks into the flowering, They are a 8 - 10 week. ( I have posted up a couple of pictures of this, did not see the point in taking more or different plants as they are all the same! Pictures in my journal end of page 3.)

And they have just sprouted Foxtail's, and to be honest this is the first time I have heard of this, but have been trying to find out more about this as in, what I do?, what I don't do?, and more importantly how long will this delay my Harvest,??

So what I have been informed about this is, it is caused by Genetics, Heat stress, also I have found that Hazes are or can be prone to this!

So can some great folks on here post up what they know about this Foxtails In the hope I can learn more about this and know what to do from here.

Many thanks in advance.

So what I have been informed about this is, it is caused by Genetics, Heat stress, also I have found that Hazes are or can be prone to this!

I have also learned these same things when it comes to fox tailing.

Logic tells me if it is heat induced then lighter defoliation or no defoliation may prevent fox tailing by allowing the plant to better regulate its own temperature through the leafs(just a thought).

Although I do not have a way to stop this in its tracks, I have been considering the idea of bud nipping(taking off the top 1/4 inch of the bud) which is a technique some use claiming it forces the bud to become fatter by stopping lateral growth(which I have not attempted yet either).

Is it possible that fox tailing is desirable? Does it creates more surface area for the trichomes to develop on? Just some things to contemplate next time you are medicated.

I have also learned these same things when it comes to fox tailing.

Logic tells me if it is heat induced then lighter defoliation or no defoliation may prevent fox tailing by allowing the plant to better regulate its own temperature through the leafs(just a thought).

Although I do not have a way to stop this in its tracks, I have been considering the idea of bud nipping(taking off the top 1/4 inch of the bud) which is a technique some use claiming it forces the bud to become fatter by stopping lateral growth(which I have not attempted yet either).

Is it possible that fox tailing is desirable? Does it creates more surface area for the trichomes to develop on? Just some things to contemplate next time you are medicated.

Your idea on Defoliation is interesting and logical. however in my case I have not carried out any Defoliation. could it be that the bud sweats thus starving that area of oxygen, in turn the plant is sending out new matter past the blockage (sweat) ? this is just my own idea and is probably wrong.

Also to carry on from your idea of allowing the plant to regulate better, maybe a small plastic tube with many small holes entered in to it, laid completely around the pots bases pumping fresh air /oxygen from below up, Again based only on my own ideas, not backed up by any hard facts,

The Nipping of the bud would be a hard choice to make, in theory it would make the bud fatter however nature I find is not straight forward at least when I am involved! that said I would be interested in reading / watching a grower that has carried this out.

Is it desirable? well it seems that outdoor growers pray from this, it is a sign they are almost ready for harvest !, this info was from a post I read last night that many outdoor growers agreed on.

Thank you for your post and input on this labexperiment

When the buds sweat too much or the humidity in the grow area is too high the results are either powdery mildew or Botrytis bud rot not Foxtailing. Foxtailing is the new growth that projects from the buds and is comprised of new calyxes, trichomes and pistils.

I've had the same problem before. It was right before harvest and I never tried to stop it.
There is a thread somewhere on here that I've read about clipping the top of the flower. I believe the technique is called "back building"

i have had foxtails on my plants as well..i think it looks cool! it dont affect nothing its not any stronger or weaker then any other part of the plant..only thing that is hard is trimming it takes a bit more time but i get fried and like to trim as well lol

Back
Top Bottom