So Slow growth at 10 days old

GroundControl

At 10 days old these plants have very slow growth.

030_-_Copy.jpg

this was my Paradice Seeds Sensi Star at 7 days old,

Here it is at 10 days old.
0011876.jpg

I using a new TOPLED Led Lamp at about 12 inchs..moved down to 6 inchs last nite but its now getting too close
to cover the 4 different plants I've got going. And I Didnt see any noticable difference.

These plants seemed to be slow from beginning (since breaking ground)
This one is the most aggressive one...the seed was practically vibrating before I soaked it in a papertowel (in well water). Sprouted out of shell.. I put it in RockWool cube and water with just well water untouch.
Since I was having such slow growth I added a minor amount of nutes to the water to see if it helps.
I use GH Flora Series Nutes. So i added 1/2 tsp Micro,agro, and bloom to 4 gallons of well water and poured that over the plants.

My Fan was a little too high to hit the seedlings..so I tilted it a bit to get it to at least hit each plant as it oscillates.

The LED Light was a little to far away on like day 3 or so when I first put the LED Light in, I had it 2 1/2 to 3 ft away, so that why it has some lankyness.

The Lights are on 18/6.
I also had added a tsp of H2O2 of 1.5% to the 4 gallons of water.

I'm Going to try putting the HPS Light back, and see if the new LED isn't working correctly or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:straightface:

Re: So Slow growth at 10 days old.

BillyJack, As soon as I posted this thread I decided I really need to remove things that have changed and go back to day 1 figuratively..
I decided to put my 400 W HPS Light back in at about 3 ft away (Normal height for whole grows).
I removed the LED All together. I know how most plants react to my HPS..so Im going back to that for a day and see what happens.
If new growth proves out to be vigorous back under thne HPS then Ill put the LED Back in and see where they respond best at.

I had the LED LIght on day 3 (when I installed it) at 3 ft way and the plants all strectched so I moved it down to about 12 to 15 inchs.
Thats where its been until last nite when I moved it down to 6 inchs.

Other than the Heat factor for lights I didnt know one could be too close with the lights, and the LEDS feel cool at 6 inchs still.
is it possible to flood too many lumens?

I admit that LEDS are completely new to me.
And I haven't found too much info on mine which is the Mars II LED Grow Light 400w
From TOPLED Mars II 400w

I do know the best part of the LED So far is that I was quite buzzed when I went to light a bowl full as I watched them grow and the lighters flame turn completely green... I zoomed on that for at least 15 minutes ;)

My guess is the 400 should be 22-30 inches away. I know some people leave seedlings under CFL and then move to LED when going into Veg.

Let me say that LED's can be to close. I made the same exact mistake for the same exact reason. I used the "back of my hand" rule and moved my LED way too close because I could not feel the heat. Once I moved mine back to 24 inches or so, life was good. Its basically light burn instead of heat. You can also email Sara from TopLed to ask her about distance but I think 36" is a bit too far and 12 is too close. Try 24" for a bit. When I move mine closer, I always do it a few inches a day.

Thanks BillyJack I appreciate the input. Ive already switched out the light back to the HPS.. So Im going to leave it till tomorrow.
Then Ill switch back to the LED then at 24 inchs. Thanks for the Light Burn aspect. I've read so much and have changed so many things at the start of this grow that I needed to stop and back up a little to see the changes affects before doing next change.

Thanks for getting me in the right direction.

If your L.E.D. light is heavy red for flowering then you will not get good growth during the veg cycle.
I got the Full Spectrum one..needing w/e source of lite to do both phases.

How big are ur netpots? Looks like the problem here is that is just not ready yet for dwc, plant still hasnt developed strong root system yet, and where ur cube is sitting is so far away from the bottom of the netpot it will take forever until it reaches the water, so yes u will have slow growth. Thats y i recommend starting from clones with well developed roots and just put it in there, or the simplest way for me is i start off in soil, let it grow a little and stablish a strong root system, then just transplant, pop the whole thing in the netpot with soil n everything, couple days roots will be stickin out already and in a matter of a week growth should start takin off

How big are ur netpots? Looks like the problem here is that is just not ready yet for dwc, plant still hasnt developed strong root system yet, and where ur cube is sitting is so far away from the bottom of the netpot it will take forever until it reaches the water, so yes u will have slow growth. Thats y i recommend starting from clones with well developed roots and just put it in there, or the simplest way for me is i start off in soil, let it grow a little and stablish a strong root system, then just transplant, pop the whole thing in the netpot with soil n everything, couple days roots will be stickin out already and in a matter of a week growth should start takin off
DWC Is Deep Water something? I dont believe thats what these do. Its a bubbler that just drips in that drip ring around the whole Plant. Oxygenates the water while its bubbled from the well up back on top again.
If thats DWC then I dont understand the term.

Srry i mustve been too high when i scrolled thru lol but i thought u had airstones in the rez and was using drip ring just for now, and yea i just realized when i took another lollk u dont have net pots lol. But the advice stays for dwc ppl as it is where most ppl messes up in the beginning, is the starting stage

Yeah, my guess is that the roots just weren't developed enough and you should see it pick up after a few days stretching out its roots. Looking at your comparison of 7 and 10 days, that doesn't seem incredibly slow to me. I have little sprouts going outdoors, and they are starting off at about the same rate.
20140705_102721.jpg

I also have a clone that's starting off relatively slowly because of not having large roots by the time I put it in soil.
20140705_102734.jpg

Those pics are a couple days old, and they're starting to grow. It'll pick up, don't over think it and do something drastic that may kill it outright. If in 2 more weeks you still see minimal growth go from there. For now, chillax and have a good joint =) :passitleft:

edit: after looking at your pics again, it does seem a little oddly stretched out. It could possibly just be faulty genetics. Dunno, I'd still go with the advice of wait and see a little longer >.< sorry hope that helps.

Thanks SoilGirl. Im starting to have to agree with you on waiting it out and seeing.

you should put your lights about an inch above the tops of the plants, then you'll really notice a difference in growth :Namaste:

I had them at 6 inch's and growth had stopped...Id imagine closer would make it worse.
I now have them at 18 inchs away and I readily see new growth. So I would have to say...The distance away from an LED light has a large impact on growth. With HPS 1 ft or 3 ft away doesnt make much difference as long as heat is taken care of with fans.

I have the same problem with the 600w reflector 192x3, just wont grow at any height, replaced with hps and growth the next day WHY? I don't know. I have 3-300w that grow great also.
mdelio

So far, I have notice slow growth with the Mars II 900, and I have done autos and regulars under it.

However, your plants seems fine so far.

I don't know why you keep the rockwool cube sticking out of the hydroton. It will grow green algae from the light hitting it and being wet.

So far, I have notice slow growth with the Mars II 900, and I have done autos and regulars under it.

However, your plants seems fine so far.
Yes they are growing well now. They were not for the first 4 days or so of use of the LED.

I don't know why you keep the rockwool cube sticking out of the hydroton. It will grow green algae from the light hitting it and being wet.
I've never buried the rockwool..and now I've taken to not even scoping out a hole for it, but just laying on top of the medium.
The stalk of the plant usually fattens up so much that the rockwool becomes irrelevant after a while.
But I will keep my eyes on it. Thanks

maybe the moon had something to do with the slow growing in the beginning aswell (check dates of when they sprouted, then look at what the moon was on these nights )..
i have always germenated seeds close to the full moon, because there is more water in everything at this time which speeds things up! 3 days after i have put the seeds in water to soak until they crack, the are 15mm high, without putting them under a light.
and if you germenate on a waning moon (when the moon is decreaseing in size) then they take forever to germenate and grow because this is the time the plants grow just their roots and there is no noticable above ground growth :)

ive just started to get into growing with the moon.. and have read farming reports that harvest is 45% more when grown in sync with the moon, lets find out :)

Back
Top Bottom