Soaking seeds in hydrogen peroxide?

Yeah well Ive always liked the paper towel, just wet it and sit it on the window sill and just moisten again as it dries.. Usually after 24-48hrs they shouldve started to split, and the tap root become visible..
Never had many probs with this as I can check on the seed at any time by opening the paper towel and then closing it back over and wetting it. Or just below the surface of a good soil with warmth and a light and same should happen but will take longer to become visible as it must send tap root dow and then head up wards breaking thru the surface soil.
Hydrogen Perox.... NO Thanx...

I have a Great White Shark seed that I soaked overnight in a cup. Then I put it in soil and I am keeping it moist and stuff...but I covered it with a glass plate...should I leave it uncovered with available light, or like I have it now, until it sprouts above ground?

any thoughts anyone....

:thumb:

10-4 ...thanks Miwa ~ always good to ask, when in doubt ~ :hookah:

A shot glass of distilled water and put on top of water heater covererd with tuperware glass,popped in 48 hours with quarter inch tail.:thumb:

A shot glass of distilled water and put on top of water heater covered with tuperware glass,popped in 48 hours with quarter inch tail.:thumb:

You may find the fresher the seed, the faster it will crack open. I've bought expensive seeds that never did open up even after 2 weeks. If you are buying seeds from a 420 sponsor and they don't crack, let them know. Sometimes they will make it right with you. I just put 2 auto flower seeds in paper towels and they cracked the next day. The peroxide guy probably didn't have the seeds in there long enough to hurt them. Peroxide would probably kill microbes on the seeds but its not really something you need to do. These things are weeds. Crackem, growem n smokem...good luck.
attitude will not even talk to you about making anything right if they fail to pop! I* changed seed companies because i can't afford to give away money for a produce that does not work, and with legalization the old "for souvenirs only" won't cut it.

Recently my friend decided he d maybe try a follow on grow from his last one, IT SURVIVED AND FINISHED UP BY SOME MIRACLE - In half a 10L pot of soil, Fungus Gnat and White fly.. Anyway, I popped 2 seeds in my paper towel and as its colder here atm I put em under a CFL. They took about 4 days to pop a tap root, But still did ok. My mate could nt wait 2hrs for me to see him, and he put about 20 seeds on top of moist cotton balls :/ When I got there I saw em and said Oh youve done it, he said Yeah - theyll be right like that... I tried to cover some over fully but he grabbed the plate n put it on the bench. Not in any sun light?? So 11 days later he now has BLACK seeds.. DEAD..
Ive always used paper towel or just in soil, But I like to know when the tap is out. So just keep towel wet/moist and under a CFL or window sill - some heat or light source anyway, and you should have tap roots fairly soon. Ive not heard of anyone using H/Perox to crack seeds until I came upon this.. Anyway each to their own I guess??
Good luk all, Smokemup

I have tried the 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with water : so 20% hydrogen with 80% water let the seeds soak for 12 hours no more than 15.

Put it in a jiffy pellet into a polythene bag or domes, seed sprouted in less than 48 hours. I used food grade hydrogen peroxide if that makes any difference and put it in a darkish room during the soaking.

I have tried the 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with water : so 20% hydrogen with 80% water let the seeds soak for 12 hours no more than 15.

Put it in a jiffy pellet into a polythene bag or domes, seed sprouted in less than 48 hours. I used food grade hydrogen peroxide if that makes any difference and put it in a darkish room during the soaking.
Hey Sabby. That message was from 2013

i use a couple drops of 3% hp in a shotglass with ro water for 24 hrs then into rapid rooters. kills any bacteria on the seed case. cant hurt....not strong enough.

Instead of telling you some 'bro' science here is the reason why a diluted mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide is used. Every place your seeds have ever been contributed bacteria and viruses to your seeds cover. Ever germinate some seeds then when they come up they die? That's called dampening. The bacteria and viruses get into your baby plant killing it. Hydrogen peroxide kills that before you start messing with it. Oh, seeds are to be touched with clean tweezers NOT your fingers.

That's called dampening. The bacteria and viruses get into your baby plant killing it. Hydrogen peroxide kills that before you start messing with it.
Damping Off Disease is caused by a fungus that is already present in the soil. The problem primarily hits recently sprouted seeds up to seedlings that are 2 weeks old. The main cause is a soil that is very wet and not just moist. The best ways to avoid this include letting the soil surface dry out quickly after any watering. Also having a frequent flow of air over the soil helps to keep the both the soil surface and the young stem of the seedling dry.

All the H2O2 treatments of the seed itself will not prevent Damping Off Disease, which is a type of root rot, from getting a foothold if the soil is allowed to stay wet.

And your source?
Sources include atttending classes in Horticulture, Landscaping & Gardening, and the Arborist trades put on by the Federal Govts Co-Operative program administered by each state's recognized Agriculture College, usually part of the "state" university. And reading articles on gardening and landscape maintenance found in newspapers and magazines over the years.

The Royal Horticultural Society in the UK
Damping off / RHS Gardening

and the co-operative extension services from these three universities....
Michigan State University
Damping-off

University of Minnesota Extension
How to prevent seedling damping off

University of Wisconsin-Madison
Damping Off

Mississippi State University-Extension service
Damping-off in Vegetables | Mississippi State University Extension Service

Even "wikipedia" has an article...
Damping off - Wikipedia

As part of my earlier msg, before I even posted, I did check many gardening sites and the web pages for universities to see if any updates or changes in the Damping Off Disease problem had come up since the last time I had looked. Nope, still a nasty problem and the best cure is prevention.

Still have not found references or sources that this seedling plant disease is caused by bacteria and/or viruses.

Back
Top Bottom