SoG question: to top or not

also Yeah im a OG SCRoG grower. my mates have dialed that method in so good its insane. at home the standard is 3mx3m room with 9 plants and 9 600W HPS bulbs. to achieve 10lb yield. do this with 2 rooms per house can pull 20lb every 10 weeks. we call that the standard to work for, you you can pull that you're considered like, your mates will be like, do you need us to show you how its done lol. a friend, which it was semi legal back home was pulled 350lb every 3 months.

oh at 5galleojs> i was going to just run 3 galleons im only aiming for the 41.8g per plant

so thats a 42g plant dry weight, what plant per square foot did you have
Yeah about 42 g of good trimmed dry bud, not counting any trim although there wasn’t much of that anyway. As for the plants per square foot, I was not doing a SOG at the time. I was just doing a 12/12 from seed experiment with a half dozen plants.
Your judgement is about as good as mine but just from memory and looking at the photos of the plant I’d say it took up less than a square foot - and that’s with giving it quite a bit of breathing room. It would have fit in a smaller space but probably wouldn’t have done as well

So that's all my 3 galleon pots laid out

Those are my lights the scrog net needs to go. There's 5x nanolux 315 cmh aawwll as 4 120W led bars to bring them together. There's also 5 fluro led tubes for underlighting
Great looking setup. :thumb:

IMG_20210306_091213_6.jpg

It seems i achieved a 100% germination rate also which I'm happy with from 50 seeds

Thanks Mack. But beyond just showing off it really was an eye opener that I got almost an ounce and a half of that little plant, compared to the yield I was getting from trained and scrogged plants that took way more time and effort. Also looks nicer IMO. I gave up on topping a couple years ago now if I want a bush I just bend it over and let it grow more tops from out the side.

But again- lots of ways to skin the cat.
Well that's exactly my goal 41.8g x 49 plants gives 2000g with a little over 2000W of lighting. I think this is a realistic goal. I have 5m² but I don't have the lighting to pull 5lbs i just made a wooden base 2.2mx2.2m (just over 7x7) and decided 1 per square foot in 3 galleon pots. 70/30 perlite/coco. I'ma grow out the extras also at first and weed out the smallest ones and give them to someone else who has more time.

How.many noses did that girl have before you flicked to 12/12? I don't think I'll too from what you've all said I don't want/need more than 1 ½ zips.

So that's all my 3 galleon pots laid out

Those are my lights the scrog net needs to go. There's 5x nanolux 315 cmh aawwll as 4 120W led bars to bring them together. There's also 5 fluro led tubes for underlighting
I want to mention that is going to be an amazing sea of green, but that according to those of us who had to actually SCROG in our early growing careers just to keep our illegal plant count down, I would like to clarify what exactly a SCROG is. If your net isn't set at 10" or so off of the soil surface, and you aren't forcing the plants to grow horizontally underneath a tightly controlled sceen with 1" or at most 2" holes, you are not scrogging, you are trellising. When I used to run a true SCROG, I would run only 1 or 2 plants under a 4'x4' screen of chicken wire fencing... and I would fill that screen before letting the buds go vertical. I would pull over a pound every time off of just a couple of plants using this system, and I was able to use a florescent T5 light array as my main bloom light because I was able to get it no more than 4" away from the top of the very even canopy. Imagine the sight of a 4x4 tent filled to the brim with an even sea of buds tightly attached to that chicken wire. Netting would not work, it did not have enough strength. True SCROG is a pain and it forces you to spend an hour or more each day for almost a month to train the plants horizontally to fill in that entire screen. Your setup is much easier and way less time consuming, but you will get more production than I ever did from your sea of green with a trellis supporting it, and I am not criticizing your method at all... its just not a SCROG in the old traditional sense. Carry on... I love what you are doing in here!

i filled the whole tent with 5 plants before ;) net was <10" have 5 12 galleon air pots. those fancy ones that unwrap. issue is,I wanna try something different, why not, sure there's a reason people do it. want to find out :D

also never said it was a scrog? i don't have a trellis either... i used to. this is last round to use up all my seed

Well, you sort of did, and then called it a sea of green later on. Sorry to quibble, and of course... this weed growing knowledge level gets stronger each time one of us tries something different! Keep experimenting!
yeah i am a scrog person, hence why asking for help with a sog

Are you going to journal the grow here? I’d be curious to see how it goes. Back to the original-ish question - if you were still thinking about topping the plants, Graytail used to grow his like that with four tops each and they were pretty amazing. I could dig up some photos if you are still thinking about that

Are you going to journal the grow here? I’d be curious to see how it goes. Back to the original-ish question - if you were still thinking about topping the plants, Graytail used to grow his like that with four tops each and they were pretty amazing. I could dig up some photos if you are still thinking about that
you basically just sold me on the idea hey :p um I was tossing and turning wether or not I should journal but just incase I've taken photos so far :D I had the idea if I told them young enough like an auto before they hit vigour it shouldn't slow them down much

EDIT: sop i get my aircon backj on Monday and then ill put a journal up I think, turns out if you run an AC 24/7 for 3 months and it dies, you get your money back :D

I want to mention that is going to be an amazing sea of green, but that according to those of us who had to actually SCROG in our early growing careers just to keep our illegal plant count down, I would like to clarify what exactly a SCROG is. If your net isn't set at 10" or so off of the soil surface, and you aren't forcing the plants to grow horizontally underneath a tightly controlled sceen with 1" or at most 2" holes, you are not scrogging, you are trellising. When I used to run a true SCROG, I would run only 1 or 2 plants under a 4'x4' screen of chicken wire fencing... and I would fill that screen before letting the buds go vertical. I would pull over a pound every time off of just a couple of plants using this system, and I was able to use a florescent T5 light array as my main bloom light because I was able to get it no more than 4" away from the top of the very even canopy. Imagine the sight of a 4x4 tent filled to the brim with an even sea of buds tightly attached to that chicken wire. Netting would not work, it did not have enough strength. True SCROG is a pain and it forces you to spend an hour or more each day for almost a month to train the plants horizontally to fill in that entire screen. Your setup is much easier and way less time consuming, but you will get more production than I ever did from your sea of green with a trellis supporting it, and I am not criticizing your method at all... its just not a SCROG in the old traditional sense. Carry on... I love what you are doing in here!
Hi Emilya -

I have one question about this post, and you mentioned this in our other conversation. This 10" thing. Why do you feel the net/screen must be set no more than 10" off the soil surface? That makes no sense to me so I'm obviously missing something. I am capable of, and fully intend to, fill my scrog screen at 2 FEET off the soil surface. There is no logical reason I can see that one cannot do EXACTLY as you describe above, given enough time and patience, only setting the screen at a higher level. Can you please explain why you think it has to be set at 10 inches? Assume I have unlimited vertical space, cuz basically I do.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom