SOG & RDWC Monster Cropped Strawberry Banana

Stltoed

This may actually be a bit premature, but I'm antsy. I'm gonna try SOG. The plants are all Strawbeerry Banana. 14 plants if all the clones take, I will have some extras. But I'm gonna send the mother(s) to flower for two weeks before I pull clones, so this may take quite a while just to get the story started. I started out thinking an SOG would be fun, but if I can monster crop them I may learn quite a bit.

The mothers are under a Spectrum King 400 LED, the lights aimed at finishing up this project are HPS and MH. I'm gonna use the Gen Hydro trio, silica, Botanicare's calmag, humic or fulvic acid, Koolbloom, and Mendo Avalanche.

I'm growing in my shed in Southern California, about 40 miles East of LA.

I figure it will either work or I've wasted a bunch of time. Let's do this

I wanted to write a bit about my equipment.
As I said, i grow in a shed. I have 2 grow areas. A 4x6 main room and a 3x3 closet. The walls and ceiling are heavily insulated with fiberglass, but the sheathing that makes up the walls is OSB with a thin layer of Aluminum for reflection. I grow RDWC. I have 2 pots, and can configure my system to take anything from one plant to 7 per pot if I want to. The pots are 2 Gen Hydro Rainforest systems repurposed from aeroponics systems to deep water.

I have a window AC, a dehumidifier, a large fan that pulls fresh air from the outside, through filtered holes in one of the walls. The exhaust is blown out the roof. Lights right now are HPS and CMH. I'm an LED guy, so if I have problems I'm blaming it on the lights! I use a Hydrologic 300 RO filter with a float valve in the res. So I dont worry about water. I use an online fan on top of the res. to keep it cool. Of you would like to hear more about that I can elaborate. I use an Airforce 80 air pump. With that I use 2 12 inch diffusers. 1 per pot. People usually say it's too much air but I've been pretty successful with it.

Some pictures

This is a weird ass grow. RWDC, SOG, monster cropping Strawberry Banana. This is my first time in SOG, and monster cropping, so the old guard are probably just shaking their collective heads. I'm sure I'm missing something. Hopefully the plants dont gain much height, if any, before it's time for flower... we'll see. Straeberry Banana may not be the best strain for SOG, but the only other seeds I have are Blue Kush, which may not be super bitchen for it either. I havent had a decent grow with Strawberry Banana yet, I've grown 9 plants in soil, and hydro, but they really werent great. There was some very high quality, but nothing over 4 or 5oz per plants, some plants were much smaller

Today I put the mothers into flower. The second I see prebuds I'm gonna clean them up and clone 'em. I understand this may take some time. I hear the plants grow really strange when monster cropped. If I was really ambitious I'd use one of the plants I have under HPS. But they were really far along

I'm hoping the flowering plants I have now will finish in a week or so. This whole thing is up to them.

This probably not going to be a very popular thread. I thank all that pop in. Cheers

This is a weird ass grow. RWDC, SOG, monster cropping Strawberry Banana. This is my first time in SOG, and monster cropping, so the old guard are probably just shaking their collective heads. I'm sure I'm missing something. Hopefully the plants dont gain much height, if any, before it's time for flower... we'll see. Straeberry Banana may not be the best strain for SOG, but the only other seeds I have are Blue Kush, which may not be super bitchen for it either. I havent had a decent grow with Strawberry Banana yet, I've grown 9 plants in soil, and hydro, but they really werent great. There was some very high quality, but nothing over 4 or 5oz per plants, some plants were much smaller

Today I put the mothers into flower. The second I see prebuds I'm gonna clean them up and clone 'em. I understand this may take some time. I hear the plants grow really strange when monster cropped. If I was really ambitious I'd use one of the plants I have under HPS. But they were really far along

I'm hoping the flowering plants I have now will finish in a week or so. This whole thing is up to them.

This probably not going to be a very popular thread. I thank all that pop in. Cheers

Question, so what is the determining factor that makes a strain better for a SOG?

You want a low laying, big bud strain. So basically a indica that puts out huge colas. But, I believe King Tut would do amazing if I remember it's an 80% sativa. Some examples of good strains for this are Northen Lights, and Big Bud. There are many candidates. Someone said S Banana will work for this so I ran with it. Maybe not he the best choice. I would just like to see this strain put all it can into it. I want it to taste candy like, and smell like a strawberry version of Fabreeze.

You want a low laying, big bud strain. So basically a indica that puts out huge colas. But, I believe King Tut would do amazing if I remember it's an 80% sativa. Some examples of good strains for this are Northen Lights, and Big Bud. There are many candidates. Someone said S Banana will work for this so I ran with it. Maybe not he the best choice. I would just like to see this strain put all it can into it. I want it to taste candy like, and smell like a strawberry version of Fabreeze.
Ah ok thanks!

Not a hell of a lot to report. I trimmed up the mothers, I'm expecting to start the 19 or so clones (with spares) sometime this next week.
Glad I grew 2 mothers. This will allow for some picking and choosing of clones. As the clones "take" the hope is for them to grow at the same speed starting from a similar height. The clones will be taken from the top of the mothers, so this will make rooting itself a littla longer. Another facet to this grow is starting with a flowering clone. The clone will have to break the tenancies of flower before it can veg. I'm going to try for adult clones approximately 8 inches high, possibly with a crotch, but I dont believe I have that many options. The stems will be a bit "woody" also, so that adds time as well.

In. Love your shed setup, and strawberry banana is on my short list. Might swap something out and run it on my next grow, but most likely the grow after next. Haven't procured my seeds yet, so there's still a chance!

In. Love your shed setup, and strawberry banana is on my short list. Might swap something out and run it on my next grow, but most likely the grow after next. Haven't procured my seeds yet, so there's still a chance!
Thanks! If you live in Southern Cal. I could give you a clone or 2

What's with lazy weekends and changes in the grow room. I got a wild hair and decided to start the cloning. The plants were in preflower, but not in full on flower, so my monster cropping claim on this thread is dubious at best.... but they were in flower. It shouldn't take much time at all to get them to reveg.

I want a decent amount of roots on these clones since I wont be using any root media. They are just going into hydroton, and the happy little bubbles will take care of the rest. I'm using a very weak Rapudstart solution for a rooting compound

I hope all is well with yall.

Thanks! If you live in Southern Cal. I could give you a clone or 2

Thanks! Appreciate the offer, but I'm not near CA. :)

Good start! :welldone:

I sent you a link to my SOG journal in response to your post in Brother Graytails journal but forgot to include this link to a journal from an old "grow bro" which is where I learned a LOT about running a SOG. My grow was a modified/customized version of this one:

Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

Good start! :welldone:

I sent you a link to my SOG journal in response to your post in Brother Graytails journal but forgot to include this link to a journal from an old "grow bro" which is where I learned a LOT about running a SOG. My grow was a modified/customized version of this one:

Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I never realised this method was so lacking in info. Seems like a grow that's gone the distance and had very positive results is kinda rare. Everyone has seen the huge 500/1000 and up grow rooms, but not a lot in the 100 and below. Im only doing 14 because that's all I can fit in my hydro rig. This whole thing is just to learn.

I dont think 14 plants is even worth it in SOG. I know I could do more with a couple plants the old fashion way

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I never realised this method was so lacking in info. Seems like a grow that's gone the distance and had very positive results is kinda rare. Everyone has seen the huge 500/1000 and up grow rooms, but not a lot in the 100 and below. Im only doing 14 because that's all I can fit in my hydro rig. This whole thing is just to learn.

I dont think 14 plants is even worth it in SOG. I know I could do more with a couple plants the old fashion way
IMHO, the highest possible yield in most indoor spaces can be accomplished with a SOG. Your basically just growing a bunch of main colas with little-to-no side branching and all those main colas make for a heavy yield.

I switched only because, frankly, I was concerned about plant counts; and it was a real PITA to have to hand water 48 plants, plus dealing with all the clones and mothers. You do become an expert in cloning real quick!

IMHO, the highest possible yield in most indoor spaces can be accomplished with a SOG. Your basically just growing a bunch of main colas with little-to-no side branching and all those main colas make for a heavy yield.

I switched only because, frankly, I was concerned about plant counts; and it was a real PITA to have to hand water 48 plants, plus dealing with all the clones and mothers. You do become an expert in cloning real quick!
What is a good yield per plant?

What is a good yield per plant?
In the 2 L's, I'd get 1/4 - 1/2 oz. per plant. The 48 plants were in a 2' x 4' tent with the fan on the floor. You could easily get over 100 plants in a 4' x 4' and yield something like 35-50+ oz. if they all went in at the same time (best to stagger the plants and do in groups), and that's with only about 2 weeks of veg time and putting a 12" plant into flower. :Namaste:

In the 2 L's, I'd get 1/4 - 1/2 oz. per plant. The 48 plants were in a 2' x 4' tent with the fan on the floor. You could easily get over 100 plants in a 4' x 4' and yield something like 35-50+ oz. if they all went in at the same time (best to stagger the plants and do in groups), and that's with only about 2 weeks of veg time and putting a 12" plant into flower. :Namaste:
I agree with you that 48 plants would probably do better than a conventional grow. But with that you have economy of scale. And, cutting out veg time. What you would turn out in a year would be awesome I'm sure. But with known genetics, and starting with adult clones, im sure the numbers are great. If I filled my little 4x6 with as many plants as i could fit, it would be a much better example of SOG. Conventionally. I once grew 2 plants in one season in my rig that put out 27oz. But that would be three seasons a year not 6.

Please understand, I'm not rousting what you're saying, my grow is mostly wasted space by comparison and not a very good example of an SOG grow. It's what I have to work with. I just want a taste of the magic of SOG. I truly want to thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom