SOG & RDWC Monster Cropped Strawberry Banana

I agree with you that 48 plants would probably do better than a conventional grow. But with that you have economy of scale. And, cutting out veg time. What you would turn out in a year would be awesome I'm sure. But with known genetics, and starting with adult clones, im sure the numbers are great. If I filled my little 4x6 with as many plants as i could fit, it would be a much better example of SOG. Conventionally. I once grew 2 plants in one season in my rig that put out 27oz. But that would be three seasons a year not 6.

Please understand, I'm not rousting what you're saying, my grow is mostly wasted space by comparison and not a very good example of an SOG grow. It's what I have to work with. I just want a taste of the magic of SOG. I truly want to thank you for your help!
All good, Brother...I don't feel rousted in the least! :high-five:

The mothers have come back to veg mode. They still have the preflowers, but you can see green things poking through the spikeyness. Spikeyness is a word... look it up.

Nothing going on with the cloner. I'm using a bag to keep the humidity up, but they are so packed they are touching the bag and causing brown spots. I wasnt sure if these spots were a pathogen or just poor planning on my part so I sprayed the little bastards with a very light peroxide solution. Ph is moving around quite a bit. But my schedule allows for adjustments when needed. I have 5 spare clones, so if I lose a few I'm good. Now that I said that this grow is gonna go tits up before it starts. I think I went over this, but I'm using Rapidstart for cloner food. I'm all out of Clonex.

I'm at the tail end of a grow. i harvested 2 plants already neither did anything extraordinary. You know how the buds feel good when they are cut, but once they dry theres no water pressure to keep them feeling firm.

I gotta give some history... I tried Z7 and found the roots werent all white. They didnt smell and there was a very good amount in the tubs. Well, i through some peroxide (34%) in there to clean everything up and totally over did it. Turns out math is important! I blew it when i figured out how much to use. The plant who's picture I'm about to share last almost half its leaves in a few days, its roots were worked. It took about 3 weeks to bring it back to flower. Now its growing new pistils, and the buds are doing well. I was really worried that all three would be a loss. It's at 11 weeks. I'm letting it go till i have amber, or i need to shift gears and move on to the SOG. Time will tell

Interesting grow. But I have to ask .... What is the purpose of starting the Mothers in Flower before taking clones ? I've always done it prior to putting them in flower so you've got my attention. Is it a RWDC thing ? I grow in Coco in Auto Pots.

Interesting grow. But I have to ask .... What is the purpose of starting the Mothers in Flower before taking clones ? I've always done it prior to putting them in flower so you've got my attention. Is it a RWDC thing ? I grow in Coco in Auto Pots.
I wanted to try monster cropping. I put the mommies into flower, so they would all be the same. I kinda doubt they were in flower long enough to get the flower hormones going, I guess we'll see

Were the 2 mothers started at different times so you're flowering to make them the same ? Or do they only come out the same when cloned from flowering plants & not from vegging plants ? Trying to get a better understanding of it & learn something new.
I just did a grow & had to Monster Crop 2 plants out of necessity. A N.L. & an AK 47 x Six Shooter. They got so big I had to break about 10 branches over to keep them off the lights. Still got too big & had to put a SCROG NET up close to my lights to keep the branches off them. Unfortunately one started to Hermie so had to Harvest her early before seeds formed. She was within 14 days of finishing so the smoke isn't too bad. Only 35% red hairs & I usually wait til about 75% so it's what I would expect.

Were the 2 mothers started at different times so you're flowering to make them the same ? Or do they only come out the same when cloned from flowering plants & not from vegging plants ? Trying to get a better understanding of it & learn something new.
I just did a grow & had to Monster Crop 2 plants out of necessity. A N.L. & an AK 47 x Six Shooter. They got so big I had to break about 10 branches over to keep them off the lights. Still got too big & had to put a SCROG NET up close to my lights to keep the branches off them. Unfortunately one started to Hermie so had to Harvest her early before seeds formed. She was within 14 days of finishing so the smoke isn't too bad. Only 35% red hairs & I usually wait til about 75% so it's what I would expect.
The plants are the same age. The shorter one got the bottom quarter inch off the tap root ot knocked off

I put the mothers into flower so that all my clones will be a like in regards to promoting a monster cropping effect. I'm not sure if the limited amount of time in flower will share these traits.

You may have gotten monster cropping confused with super cropping. Super cropping is the damaging of a stem so you you can keep the goods out of the lights. Monster cropping is reveging a flowering or harvested plant, then putting back into flower. Kinda weird I l now. I just wanted to give it a try. Again, I probably didn't have them in flower long enough

Yeah, I got it confused. But I did do the Monster Crop / Re-Veg also on a Harvested Fire OG. That thing got really wide .... Like 4' wide but stayed about 4.5' tall. Like you ... I had to try it for the experience.
Nice!

Good start! :welldone:

I sent you a link to my SOG journal in response to your post in Brother Graytails journal but forgot to include this link to a journal from an old "grow bro" which is where I learned a LOT about running a SOG. My grow was a modified/customized version of this one:

Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

I took a look at the link. Interesting stuff. I wonder if he would have done better in soil. Not a fan of hempy. I've never used it of course, but I've just never seen a really solid hempy plant. Haha

The author of that post seemed to know his stuff. I went looking for his harvest and found it more than 15 pages from the end. Lots of interesting questions

Thanks

I took a look at the link. Interesting stuff. I wonder if he would have done better in soil. Not a fan of hempy. I've never used it of course, but I've just never seen a really solid hempy plant. Haha

The author of that post seemed to know his stuff. I went looking for his harvest and found it more than 15 pages from the end. Lots of interesting questions

Thanks
We use hempy for the faster growth rates you see with hydro. It's all about maximizing yield. ;)

We use hempy for the faster growth rates you see with hydro. It's all about maximizing yield. ;)
Gotcha. If I ever get into SOG I will be sure to use it... learn something new. I've stuck to soil and RDWC... Kinda shut in. My life in pot planting is set to fact finding for now. Kinda on the tail end of lights. I want to build that QBoard rig, or get another set of Black Dogs. We'll see how this SOG thing goes. I dont think I'll fall in love with it, unless I'm setting weight records... but i dont see that happening

Gotcha. If I ever get into SOG I will be sure to use it... learn something new. I've stuck to soil and RDWC... Kinda shut in. My life in pot planting is set to fact finding for now. Kinda on the tail end of lights. I want to build that QBoard rig, or get another set of Black Dogs. We'll see how this SOG thing goes. I dont think I'll fall in love with it, unless I'm setting weight records... but i dont see that happening
Well, I'm pretty sure you will set some personal records. I still maintain that SOG gives maximum yield in just about any indoor space. When you see the breeder's quoting yield#'s per sqare meter, that's all based on SOG-style growing.

The real question, IMHO, is, "are the risks and work associated with the plant counts worth it?", keeping in mind that if your running 100 plants, you also have to be taking 100 clones every 75-90 days, too, and maintaining the mothers to support that! :rolleyes:

With an automated feeding system, it would be much more attractive to me. ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure you will set some personal records. I still maintain that SOG gives maximum yield in just about any indoor space. When you see the breeder's quoting yield#'s per sqare meter, that's all based on SOG-style growing.

The real question, IMHO, is, "are the risks and work associated with the plant counts worth it?", keeping in mind that if your running 100 plants, you also have to be taking 100 clones every 75-90 days, too, and maintaining the mothers to support that! :rolleyes:

With an automated watering system, it would be much more attractive to me. ;)

I have to offer that I'm extraordinarily lazy. Thankfully I have no room for the amount of mothers that would support a grow style like this. Ok, i think I've talked myself out of making SOG my new growing method haha.

I like big plants. A nice scrogged, big yield plant with more kolas than leaves is my thing. The pictures below are more my speed

So you dont do SOG what method do you use now?

With an automated feeding system, it would be much more attractive to me. ;)
Cloning question. Do use a hood to up the humidity? I've heard it go both ways. Im using a plastic bag over the top, but I found the leaves are sticking to the bag causing brown spots. I've never used anything to help humidity in the past. I have way to many clones in my cloner so they are growing all over themselves.

So you dont do SOG what method do you use now?

I use Doc Bud's HIgh Brix Kit and grow in #10's in the main tent.

Cloning question. Do use a hood to up the humidity? I've heard it go both ways. Im using a plastic bag over the top, but I found the leaves are sticking to the bag causing brown spots. I've never used anything to help humidity in the past. I have way to many clones in my cloner so they are growing all over themselves.

Keeping clones under humidity will improve the success rate, as will cutting the leaves in half. In both cases, you're trying to minimize transpiration (loss of water through the leaves) until the clone roots and can uptake water on its own. A humidity dome isn't required, but it greatly helps minimize that transpiration and, if you're in a very dry climate (i.e. Arizona, Nevada, etc.) you may have trouble getting clones to root without it.

I use Doc Bud's HIgh Brix Kit and grow in #10's in the main tent.

Keeping clones under humidity will improve the success rate, as will cutting the leaves in half. In both cases, you're trying to minimize transpiration (loss of water through the leaves) until the clone roots and can uptake water on its own. A humidity dome isn't required, but it greatly helps minimize that transpiration and, if you're in a very dry climate (i.e. Arizona, Nevada, etc.) you may have trouble getting clones to root without it.
I cut some of the leaves. I may S-can the bag if the spots continue. It's only been a week or so, and starting in flower doesnt help. Thank you.

lol late but I’ll catch up
Not very much to see my man. How is your next grow going. Have you made a thread yet? Looking forward to that... my SOG buddy! Let's kill it!

Back
Top Bottom