SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

Just wanted to drop in and say hello buddy, its been a while. I see you're up to your usual awesomeness:high-five: Good luck with those quaisi autos!:Namaste:

Hey Quix! Great to see ya' brother! :high-five:

Gosh, so sorry to hear about the PE mom. I really really hope she makes a recovery for ya.

Thanks, Bass, but I took her off the recovery list! :RIP:

I decided it would be easier to turn one of her clones into a new mom and I'm working on some of the new strains, but I was sad to see her go!

QUICK SEED GERMINATION UPDATE

The White Fruit seed that popped her taproot after soaking in some water went into soil a few days ago. She still hasn't pushed her head up yet, so I'm anxiously awaiting and hoping she makes it. I did plant her a little deep, but only about 1/2", or so.

In the mean time, I've be soaking the LA Woman seed for over 48 hours, now, and I'm a little concerned that that seed may not be viable. I was optimistic at first, even though the seed is pretty small, since she sank within the first 8 hours, or so, of soaking. But, she still hasn't even cracked her shell, let alone put out a taproot. I did change out her water and will give her another couple of days.

But, just to "hedge my bets", I did also start soaking one of the Mango seeds today.

I'll hopefully be able to update with some positive news soon!

Happy Harvests!

K

QUICK SEED GERMINATION UPDATE

The White Fruit seed that popped her taproot after soaking in some water went into soil a few days ago. She still hasn't pushed her head up yet, so I'm anxiously awaiting and hoping she makes it. I did plant her a little deep, but only about 1/2", or so.

In the mean time, I've be soaking the LA Woman seed for over 48 hours, now, and I'm a little concerned that that seed may not be viable. I was optimistic at first, even though the seed is pretty small, since she sank within the first 8 hours, or so, of soaking. But, she still hasn't even cracked her shell, let alone put out a taproot. I did change out her water and will give her another couple of days.

But, just to "hedge my bets", I did also start soaking one of the Mango seeds today.

I'll hopefully be able to update with some positive news soon!

Happy Harvests!

K

Well, you haven't fallen in one of holes I keep hearing about down in Florida, so your luck is not all bad. They will be up soon old friend. This did kind of put you off your schedule. It will be rolling again for you soon Mr. Krip. :high-five:

Well, you haven't fallen in one of holes I keep hearing about down in Florida, so your luck is not all bad. They will be up soon old friend. This did kind of put you off your schedule. It will be rolling again for you soon Mr. Krip. :high-five:

LOL! Yeah, as long as I don't get swallowed by any sink holes, I can't complain too much! :)

You're right that this did throw off my schedule pretty severely, plus it comes after having lost a couple of plants when the temps in the flower tent got too high from the vent clogging, but it's a good opportunity to get out of the same routine with the same strains and mix things up a little.

I should have enough clones to last me another 30-45 days and by then, the Big Band and Power Skunk moms should be in a better position to provide some clones and I should be real close to taking my first clones from some of the new strains.

The Mango seed looks like it's gonna do fine. The LA Woman seed still hasn't even cracked its shell, so I'm a little disappointed since I was really looking forward to this strain, but I'm gonna give it some more time before I give up on her!

I hope all is well with you & Jo! I have so much to catch up on your journal, I've been slow to get there lately, but I'm still thinking of you! :circle-of-love:

LOL! Yeah, as long as I don't get swallowed by any sink holes, I can't complain too much! :)

You're right that this did throw off my schedule pretty severely, plus it comes after having lost a couple of plants when the temps in the flower tent got too high from the vent clogging, but it's a good opportunity to get out of the same routine with the same strains and mix things up a little.

I should have enough clones to last me another 30-45 days and by then, the Big Band and Power Skunk moms should be in a better position to provide some clones and I should be real close to taking my first clones from some of the new strains.

The Mango seed looks like it's gonna do fine. The LA Woman seed still hasn't even cracked its shell, so I'm a little disappointed since I was really looking forward to this strain, but I'm gonna give it some more time before I give up on her!

I hope all is well with you & Jo! I have so much to catch up on your journal, I've been slow to get there lately, but I'm still thinking of you! :circle-of-love:

Yeah! Sink holes!...all over the news here. Crazy stuff. Yep, that mom was awful to look at, may she rest in peace. Big Band and Power Skunk moms sound good. I was/am look forward to the LA Woman. Sqwheels has really had good luck with her. Hope she comes through for you.

My grow is going good. All 19 plants are trucking along. No hurry, Brother, it will be a while.

Jo and I are OK. I took a bit of a fall, but OK. C U Soon!
:thumb:

ADVICE NEEDED

It appears I'm having some issues getting some of the newer seeds to germinate.

Usually, I soak the seeds for about 24-48 hours in a small glass of water. In this time, normally the seed will crack and put out a small taproot at which point I transplant it into some growing medium.

The LA Woman seed has now been soaking in water for about FIVE days and isn't floating, but the seed hasn't even cracked.

The Mango has been soaking for about THREE days and although the seed cracked within the first 24 hours, or so, no taproot has sprouted.

So, here's the question....

Should I keep letting them soak in the H2O until I see a taproot, or should I transplant the Mango, or both, seeds to some soil mix and wait to see what happens, or, should I just start some new seeds?

I do have another couple of Mango seeds, but that is my ONLY LA Woman, so I do want to give a good effort to save her, if I can!

Let me know your thoughts! :thanks:

Are they in a warm spot? I use the paper towel in a ziplok method, but I put the plate someplace warm.

Are they in a warm spot? I use the paper towel in a ziplok method, but I put the plate someplace warm.

Yes, they're in the top of the grow cab - an area where the heat vents to

Dang is man, sorry to hear about the germ gone bad...I'd definitely give'em a couple more days before a full panic, but I think it'd also make me anxious to a degree...Start a couple just in case if time is of the essence? I know you're partial to the LA Woman, and I forget what your seed stock is like so forgive me if these are some of your last seeds, but I'd be germing the next round already:bitingnails:
Wishing you better luck Brother K:Namaste:

Dang is man, sorry to hear about the germ gone bad...I'd definitely give'em a couple more days before a full panic, but I think it'd also make me anxious to a degree...Start a couple just in case if time is of the essence? I know you're partial to the LA Woman, and I forget what your seed stock is like so forgive me if these are some of your last seeds, but I'd be germing the next round already:bitingnails:
Wishing you better luck Brother K:Namaste:

Thanks, Brother...I'm way ahead you! :high-five:

Yesterday, I started soaking another Mango seed. The shell had cracked by this morning and even though the taproot hadn't yet sprouted, I could see it starting. Earlier today, I moved ALL of the seeds I had soaking (the two Mangos and the LA Woman) to soil to give them some more time to see if anything happens. I also started soaking a Silver LA seed.

So far, consistent with my bad luck streak as of late, the seed germination has been horrible. The Royal Carmel is lanky, but I'm working with it, the White Fruit still hasn't sprouted, the LA Woman I have little hope for, and I'll be happy if I get one out of the two Mango seeds to sprout.

Also, on top of everything else, when I looked in on the vegging girls this morning, one of the clones that was well established, had wilted! :thedoubletake:

I have NEVER lost a clone that was that mature and her hempy wasn't dry at all, so I'm concerned there may be something else going on. Now that I have some plants in soil, I hope I don't start having pest issues, although, I haven't seen anything and the other 15 or so clones all look fine.

Oh yeah...just to add to the hassles....one of the power supplies on the 500w LED died. Gotham is fantastic since they'll just send out a new power supply, even though the light is out of warranty, it's just a PITA on top of all the other issues that are slowing me down right now!

It's times like these when it's good to have some good MMJ on hand! :bongrip:

My way Mr. Krip. I put the number of need rapid rooter plugs in RO water for about 6 hours. Then just put a seed in each one, covering the hole in top with rapid rooter material. Then I put them in the soil right then. I put a warm light over them. They will be up within 4 days max.
I have had a 100% rate doing it this way. Good Luck!

My way Mr. Krip. I put the number of need rapid rooter plugs in RO water for about 6 hours. Then just put a seed in each one, covering the hole in top with rapid rooter material. Then I put them in the soil right then. I put a warm light over them. They will be up within 4 days max.
I have had a 100% rate doing it this way. Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips, Brother! :thanks:

I'm aware you can plant directly in the medium of your choice, as both you & Propa do (you just use different mediums). And, as you know, I don't believe in the "paper towel method" although many use it with great success.

Here's why I choose to soak the seeds before planting directly into the medium:

How To Soak Seeds Before Planting And The Reasons For Soaking Seeds

By Heather Rhoades

Soaking seeds before planting is an “old time” gardener’s trick that many new gardeners are not aware of. When you soak seeds before planting, you can significantly decrease the amount of time it takes for a seed to germinate. Let’s look at the reasons for soaking seeds and how to soak seeds.

Reasons For Soaking Seeds

What happens to seeds when you soak them? Why should you soak your seeds?

The short answer is because your seeds were designed to be abused. Mother Nature is not kind to a little seed. In the wild, a seed can expect to encounter harsh heat and cold, very wet or dry conditions and may even need to survive the acid filled digestive tract of an animal. In short, seeds have developed over millions of years with defenses to survive awful conditions. But, in your modern day garden, a seed is relatively pampered. Soaking seeds before planting helps you to break down the seed’s natural defenses against what it expects from Mother Nature, which then allows it to germinate faster.

Another reason is that, while Mother Nature actively assaults seeds, she also gave those seeds an internal gauge to help them know when they should grow. For most seeds, moisture levels play a big role in alerting a seed to optimal grow times. By soaking the seeds, you can quickly boost the moisture content around the seeds, which signals to the seed that it is now safe to grow.

And lastly, for some types of seeds, they actually contain germination inhibitors that are designed to prevent a seed from germinating inside the fruit. These inhibitors must be leached away before a seed can germinate. In nature with natural rainfall, this process can take some time. But, when you soak your seeds, this process is sped up.

How To Soak Seed Before Planting

Seed soaking, at a basic level needs two things; seeds and water.

Some methods for seed soaking may substitute the water for slightly acidic solutions, such as weak tea or coffee or even acidic chemicals. These acidic solutions are meant to imitate loosely the stomach acid of an animal. But these solutions are not necessary in most cases. For most seeds, water will work just fine.

Take a small bowl and fill it with water from your tap, as hot as your tap will allow. Some seeds can tolerate boiling water, but as the tolerance for heat can vary greatly from species to species, hot tap water is safest for seed soaking.

Once your bowl is filled with hot water, place your seeds inside the bowl. Then allow the seeds to stay in the water as it cools down. Common questions at this point include “How long should seeds be soaked?” and “Can you over soak seeds?” Yes, you can over soak seeds. Too much soaking in water and a seed will drown. It is recommended that you only soak most seeds for 12-24 hours and no more than 48 hours. The seeds of some species of plants can survive longer soakings, but you should only do this if the specific instructions for this species recommend so.

There are things you can do to improve how well your seeds react to soaking. Large seeds or seeds with particularly hard coats can benefit from scarification before soaking. Scarification means to damage the seed coat in some way so that the water is better able to penetrate the seed. Scarification can be done through several methods. These include rubbing the seed on fine grain sand paper, nicking the seed coat with a knife and even gently tapping the seed with a hammer to help crack the seed coat.

After soaking your seeds, they can be planted as directed. The benefit of soaking seeds before planting is that your germination time will be reduced, which means you can have happy, growing plants faster.

So break out the PH down and a hammer and you should be fine!
Er, um soak for less time?....

Yeah, I'm one of them 100% success rate paper towel guys myself (literally), sorry I can't be of any help there:passitleft:

Just driving thru. I scrolled back acouple pages and seen y'all talking about seed germination. I fried alot of seed last month, 5 strains won't grace my gardens in fact. But I use a paper towel cover with plastic wrap, then I put them on top my cable box. I always do it the same way with great results, I wondered why I'm losing all these seeds. Well I got ahold of one of those IR thermometer guns and the temp difference between spots on the top of the box vary alot. One spot runs 80 which is perfect for me, but 5 inches over it's 103 degrees which will turn a seed into popcorn. Well after buying this gun I haven't lost any seed that cracked.
I my afew mother plants that are close to a year old and I have to leave it on the 20/4 cycle or they start throwing out flowers. I'm fixing to try the PE myself. I've heard such good things about the plant. I can't wait to try her. Just lucky I started the seed after I got that thermometer. But 80 degrees works great. I also make sure the dirt I place the seed in is close in temp as not to schock the tap root. GL
Till laters Keepem Green

Hi Mr. Krip - bummer about the issues you've been having. Sure hope things are rosier in your garden today my friend! I do soak seeds for several hours, but not until the taproot shows. I just do it to soften them up a little before going directly into medium.

I'm in no way trying to disparage anyone's methods for seed germination, but thought I'd share a couple of thoughts on adding heat...

The heat/warmth thing with seeds is completely overrated in my opinion. I know how many seed-starting tutorials recommend a heating mat or something or cable box... but it's just not necessary at all.

The ground is pretty cool outdoors when many seeds sprout - think about it for a moment. I stopped with heat mats, cable boxes and any added heat a while ago now, and went to putting them directly into rapid rooters, with no added warmth, then directly under a T5. It's really rare that I lose any these days and they come up in a couple of days and root just great.

Sprinkle some seeds in some dirt outside with 50-60f degree weather, and they'll pop up in a few days regardless of any help or efforts to aid them along, and in spite of not adding heat. Well, maybe don't do it unless you have a bunch of extra viable seeds or can let them grow outdoors. I saw Subcool talk about spilling some seeds by his barbecue grill during a week of 50f temperatures, and then watching them sprout up through the gravel surrounding his grill - and it made me re-think everything I had thought about germinating. I should note that he is passionately against heat mats, cable boxes or any added heat when germinating - and that dude can flat grow.

Now, I have lost seeds due to trying to add heat with cable boxes, heating mats, etc. due to things drying to fast or frying the fragile roots as they are developing. The bottom line is, that some things that can provide a little help if all things are ideal, can also have potential for damage that out-weighs the benefit when something isn't quite ideal (ie. Wood's scenario where the temps were inconsistent on the cable box).

This is not to say that adding heat is necessarily bad, but there is more that can potentially go wrong if you do - and it might not be worth the minor benefit (isn't IMO).

Just adding some food for thought!

GERMINATION UPDATE

Thanks again, everyone, for the tips. :thanks:

Here's the "thing"... I've used the "soaking" method many times on all kinds of garden seeds (in addition, I grow my own sprouts using alfalfa seeds, mung beans, peas, garbanzos, etc....I've even sprouted rice & wheat) and the process always involves soaking the seeds for 24-48 hours. Essentially, all I'm looking to do is to "sprout" the seed.

Typically, if it doesn't sprout, it means the seed is not viable. So, I have little hope for the LA Woman or first Mango seed, since neither sprouted while being soaked, although I did move them to soil to wait it out and see what happens.

The White Fruit, second Mango seed, and Silver LA all sprouted while being soaked, so I did expect to have success with all three.

The White Fruit was the first one soaked, and even though it sprouted while soaking, and even after something like 5 days in soil, I still hadn't seen anything pop above soil. So, Dr. Krip was called back to surgery last night...

("Paging.... Dr. Krip to operating room #1.... Stat!")

I VERY carefully started scraping back the layers of soil until I found the seed husk, which was cracked but still attached. As I gently pulled on the husk to see if it would separate, the whole seedling easily pulled out and I could see that the seedling had stopped growing with about a 1/2" taproot.

So, I carefully removed the seed husk and what I found inside left me with little hope...It was basically unrecognizable as a seedling...it looked more like a creme-colored tadpole with the yolksac fully encasing it.

I could tell that there was no way to try to remove the yolksac without risking considerable damage (if I hadn't already done some!), so I carefully replanted the taproot and left just the creme colored yolksac poking out from the top of the soil.

I wish I had taken a couple pics last night to show you her condition!

Well, to my great surprise, when I checked this morning, I found a new seedling! :yahoo:

The second Mango seed and Silver LA had already sprouted above soil, so here's a group shot of the three new "little moms":

DSCN2540.JPG

Here's a look at the White Fruit this morning that gave me so much trouble and was "operated on" last night:

DSCN25411.JPG

Here's a closer look....you can see the yolksac, still partially attached, at the stem/base of the plant; and the entire seedling last night was the same color as the very tip of the cotelydons....Now that it has some light, it's just starting to "green" up:

DSCN25421.JPG

So, all three I expected to sprout (based on soaking results) are now above soil.

I'll see what happens with the first Mango and LA Woman, but again, since soaking didn't produce a taproot, I have little hope for those.

On a related note, that buddy of mine that gets the stuff he calls "Mango" that I love so much (probably not the same breeder and possibly not even really a "Mango" strain), dropped by Thursday night with some of his Mango. As I was putting a bud through the grinder, I found another seed and am gonna see if I can get that one to pop, too.

Happy Harvests!

K

Back
Top Bottom