Soil Flushing?

dawook4420

Not having any problems (knock on wood) so much as I'm just trying to expand my limited knowledge.

I'm a new grower. My plants are a little over two weeks into flower and looking great. I understand that 7-10 days before I harvest I need to flush my soil to help get the taste of the nutrients out of the buds. But I think my understanding of what it means to "flush" the soil is wrong. My understanding is that flushing the soil just means to run a bunch of water through the soil to flush out any lingering nutrients. I'm curious to know if my understanding is right and how this differs from the watering routine I'm doing now.

Just a little background ... I have no idea what the strain is. They were random seeds that came from a bag six months ago. I'm growing them in Fox Farms Happy Frog with nothing else mixed in. I use GO Box nutes, 1/2 the recommended dosages and the plants are in 3 gallon Air-pots. When I first transplanted them I was watering/feeding every 3 days. I would feed twice and then water once, 1/2 gallon per plant which gave me considerable runoff. I use tap water left out for a few days to evaporate the chlorine. The tap water starts at a 7.0 pH. When I add nutes it drops to 5.0 so I use pH Up to raise it to 6.5, but that's only when using nutes. When giving plain water I don't adjust the pH at all.

Shortly before switching to 12/12 I noticed the plants were looking thirsty after 2 days, so I switched to water/feed every other day, alternating feed and plain water every other time. I give them 1/3 gallon of water now and I get very little runoff. After maybe 3 or 4 weeks of this routine I've seen no signs of over/under watering, no signs of nute burn/deficiencies. As I said, all is good. Hopefully it stays that way.

So my plan is to keep on this routine until 1-2 weeks before harvesting and then I'll give nothing but plain water, thus "flushing" the soil. Again, I think my understanding of "flushing" is off. So if anyone can shed some light on this, I would much appreciate it. I am also open to any other suggestions based on the info I provided. Being a newbie I'll take all the suggestions I can get.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long post! Here's a pic of my girls from a few days ago. So far so good, right?

Oh, and by the way ... I'm growing under a 600 Watt LED with an actual draw of 240 Watts (I think).

image1_1_2.jpeg

Just before harvest "flush" is just plain water yes, flushing due to problems is plain water and you just using more/extra to flush out the soil. Like everything out there in life folks on both sides of the coin, but I have read flushing in Hydro medium is more critical than soil. I try to go to water when I think I"m a week or two away from harvest (I'm in soil), as usually they take longer than you think anyway. Part of it is to try to avoid any bad taste from the nutrients but also in my mind what is the point of feeding something you going to kill soon (a pouring money down the drain...kinda literally ;) :rofl:).

Yep flush about 7-14 days before harvesting with just plain water.

You will notice leaves turning yellow that is normal as your flushing the nutes out.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

If your using the go box it comes with flora kleen (flushing agent) to help break down the salts left behind fron the chemicals.
Their schedule might be different from yours as in amount of time due to some strains taking longer but same principle.

Flush around two weeks prior.
After the flush fees plain water.
Plain distilled water because adding ph up or down is throwing more chemicals into the mix.
You can mix some mollassas in with the plain water up until harvest which can improve taste and fragrance

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!

Well ya most off the time i use tap water left to stand for 24 hours etc & just water the plants when they need it to use up excess nutrients in the soil/compost in the last 2 weeks of flowering.

Some times i don't bother at all & straight from the tap... Mmm chlorine never really bothered me tho as i'm pretty sure it will evaporate from the soil as well over a short time period & really not damaging plants... other wise in real life we may see evidence of such practices in agric farmers who irrigate fields from the main tap water supply line to a person at home watering their lawn or garden or plant nurseries etc i'm sure none of them ever PH stuff !

So ye another thing to think about...

Good stuff everyone! Thank you for getting back to me! Question for cannoisseauras ... the molasses idea sounds great. Any idea how much molasses I should mix per gallon of water? Also, I didn't get the flora kleen with my GO Box. No idea why.

One more question for anyone that cares to answer it. I have only 1 fan. It's not an oscillating fan. I couldn't find one that fit my tent and was not a piece of junk. So I got this "Monkey fan" that mounts to the tent pole and it works pretty well but it only blows in one direction. I'd like to get another one so I can have a fan blowing both above and below my canopy, but my wife will kill me if I spend any more money on my grow setup right now. So my question is, with just one fan, am I better off having it blow on the top of my canopy or should I lower it to blow under the canopy? Anyone?

Thanks!

I flush intermittently throughout the grow also so as not to have salts build up in the soil. Maybe once every 2 weeks I will feed them straight pH'd h2o... No issues with this so far. I figure it will also help when it comes to the final flush at harvest time.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Also, I didn't get the flora kleen with my GO Box.

Thanks!

I'm guessing you have the General Organics GO Box (what i have) there is a General Hydroponics Go Box too, same company different nutrient line. GO is the Bio Thrive line and the GH is Flora something I think.

It is best to have the monkey fan blow air through the canopy as best as you can this will help strengthen stems, improve temperature around the canopy level as temp will be high vs low depending on the position of the thermostat etc.

Back
Top Bottom