Soil indoors problem - Help request

Coronel

Hi guys,

This is my first post but have been lurking and reading the forums for a long time now.

Recently i came across a problem that so far have been unable to identify.

All started well, 4 seeds germinated and plants grew with no problem, looked bushy and short internodal space.

Wanted to keep 1 as mother and clone it a lot, so because of space the mother ended up in its own tent (The other 3 plants were given away and even thou they are growing under a 150w HPS light in a very cold place (14C) they are doing nice for such shitty conditions).

After about 2 months of lst and topping the mother was bushy and ready and about 10 clones where well on its way.

So that is when the mother plant went to the big tent for flowering.

At the time some leaves were wilting and drying from the tip back but didn't look worrysome, it was attributed to the tent not being very tall and the heat of the lamp dropping too much the RH, no sign of bugs or other.

After about 1 week in flowering lots of yellow leaves and the "Healthy" ones felt filmsy and under the light looked very dark veins and yellowish intervein space.

Looked everywhere on the internet but the symptoms didn't match anything.

Increased the RH of the tent and this seems to have helped a little but the fading kept going on.

2 weeks into flowering and the plant was looking very bad, also the clones in the other tent (in another floor) started showing the same symptoms.

After 1.5 months of Flowering the mother had no green leave and was harvested, what was a nice potential for 12 colas became 12 small bugs and lots of popcorn nugs.

There was no flowering strecht at all, the plant was about 70cm tall in Vegetation, and at the end of flower was about 78cm, and the plant just died on me.

The clones were moved to the flowering tent once the other died, but are still under grow schedule, they show the same symptoms as the mother, but now i can see fungus gnats around the plants and many drowned in the water reservoir used to increase the RH of the tent.

I am at loss, initially I thought the fungus gnat infestation might have killed the mother plant but the gnat larvae is the one that might attack the plant so with this in mind i pulled out the roots of the mother plant and looked at them and at the soil with a microscope, nothing the rootball looks healthy and nice, lots of hair roots etc...
I don’t know what other information to post, so if i missed something or something is not clear please post and i will reply.

If you have any ideas to help they are all welcome, there are ten clones dying that i would like to save.... :D

Here is the grow data for help:

Size or Square Footage of Room =
  • Grow: 80cmX80cmX180cm / 150 W CFL
  • Flo: 1.2m x 1.2m x 2.2m / 1 x 600 W HPS

• Northern Lights #5 x Haze
  • 70% sativa
  • How Many Plants = 1 mother x 6 clones
  • Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage= both (Mother Flowering / clones Vege)
  • If in Vegetative Stage... 4 months
  • If in Flowering Stage... 1.5 months
  • Indoor
  • Soil
  • Mix = 30% vermiculite, 30% peat moss, 30% old soil (baked @ 75C for 1h)
  • What Size Pot = 30L
  • Air Cooled
  • Temperature of Room/Cabinet = 27C day 23C night
  • RH of Room/Cabinet = 42% Day, 63% Night
  • PH of Medium or Reservoir = 7
  • Any Pests = Small presence of fungus Gnats
  • How Often are you Watering = when needed (every 2 day + or -)
  • Type and Strength of Fertilizers used = BioSevia Grow and Bloom at half dose

The mother after last topping (about 1 week after went to flower)
m44.jpg

The mother on 1st days of Flower
41520.jpg

8752.jpg

After 2 weeks flower
51226.jpg

61060.jpg

9538.jpg

The clones in vegetation sowing yellow leaves
7887.jpg

A clone showing yellow leaves
16793.jpg

A clone showing yellow leaves
22457.jpg

A clone showing yellowing intervein space.
31966.jpg

catch some run off and check the ph coming out

Thanks!

I did the Ph by disolving some soil into distilled water, that's how i got a 7... (i'm guessing that this is more or less the same than catching runoff water but by using distilled i remove the bias of the ph controlled tap water no?

I forgot to mention that when the clones were repotted to go in the big tent the whole soil was changed with biobizz allmix, (Some pure, some mixed with old soil 2/3 new and 1/3 new) no apparent difference.

Just did a new PH test it ranges from the low 6 to the high 6 in all the plants.

With the other soil was around 6.8 - 7, if i understand the graph you posted on 7 the plant will not have access to Iron, Manganese and Boron...

Would that be enought to kill a plant? I mean is not totally off the normal range a very low 4 or very high ph 8.5 might kill a plant but within the 7 area it might suffer but survive no?

Thanks i will check next watering, any other ideas? considering i changed the soil about 2 weeks ago and little to no improvment... :(

I grow Organic and when things start to go South it seems like a handful of Worm castings to each pot help out a whole lot .. In that first photo is that clay pellets on top of soil? I remember reading that was a no no ..Good luck

I grow Organic and when things start to go South it seems like a handful of Worm castings to each pot help out a whole lot .. In that first photo is that clay pellets on top of soil? I remember reading that was a no no ..Good luck

Yes that is clay pellets, I removed them when things started to go south to see and touch the soil.

They were needed thou when in the little tent with the 600w the evaporation was massive.

I have a worm composter thou i have not added for fear of unbalancing the nutes will try with one and see.

@TheNuttyProfessor I use an aquarium/pool drop solution for the ph

Soil indoors problem (Help request)

Did you test your runoff PH every week?
7 is very high for young plants. It looks like you did your slurry test wrong. Take a 1/4 cup of compressed soil and mix with 1/4 cup ph 7 water. Let sit for 20 min. Test ph of slurry solution. Make sure your pen is calibrated and has good batteries.
Those symptoms sound ph related. Were you keeping the soil wet or letting it dry out before rewatering? When you harvest chop off the root and inspect it. It may reveal problems.

If it's not ph related then it sounds like your soil went infertile. Maybe your plant used up all the available nutrients.
You can test the soil's Ph-N-P-K with this cheap $13 test.
420-magazine-mobile246008295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Did you test your runoff PH every week?
7 is very high for young plants. It looks like you did your slurry test wrong. Take a 1/4 cup of compressed soil and mix with 1/4 cup ph 7 water. Let sit for 20 min. Test ph of slurry solution. Make sure your pen is calibrated and has good batteries.
Those symptoms sound ph related. Were you keeping the soil wet or letting it dry out before rewatering? When you harvest chop off the root and inspect it. It may reveal problems.

No i checked the ph as last desperate measure when i could not find any other reason.

The worse is that the plants did very good while young... they started going south once older.

I will adapt your advise to my next test.

50% distilled water 50% soil, good shake, let it sit for 20 minutes, filter with tea filter, use my ph drops...

To be honest the soil has been a little inconsistent because of the holidays and all, sometimes left to dry, sometimes kept moist, but never soaked, flushed a few times and nute feed alternatively from the bottom or top.

The mother was harvested, the root exposed and they looked great, hairy white and healthy.

Soil indoors problem (Help request)

No i checked the ph as last desperate measure when i could not find any other reason.

The worse is that the plants did very good while young... they started going south once older.

Check PH run off every time you water until you get the @feel" for what your soil is doing.

Sounds like you ran out of phosphorus/Potassium.

Don't use it for Ph. Those are really good for knowing when to water. But that's about it.
20 years growing and I still use one for its moisture probe.

Get a good ph pen. I use this model. It's a Hanna labs clone.
420-magazine-mobile1588706141.jpg

Check PH run off every time you water until you get the @feel" for what your soil is doing.

Sounds like you ran out of phosphorus/Potassium.

Well the plants were on a feed schedule, i stopped feeding in vegetation when first symptoms appeared thinking maybe nutrient burn, left unfeed for about 2 weeks switched to flower then fed with flowering nutes, since the plant didn't liked it the nutes were altogether stopped.

ph off of nute depletion will make a plant suffer and it might not develop to full potential, but to actually kill a healthy plant with a nice clean root ball ?

A ph higher than 7 in a semi soilless media will lock out Potassium, copper and iron. Long term lockout combined with those low temperatures will kill the plant. Your soil sounds more hydroponic and less like a compost based soil. I would aim for a runoff ph of 5.6-5.9 with sphagnum/peat mixes

And test the ph of the water you're giving it. My buddy had a similar problem to yours. Turns out his tap water was ph8

Back
Top Bottom