Soil mix: Coco, garden soil, perlite?

Bumfarto

420 Member
Hey guys,
I had some Coco coir and soil laying around the house. Then I ordered a large bag of perlite that I was gonna mix with the soil and Coco.
My thinking was that the Coco and perlite are inert and the soil is around 7pH, so as long as I drop the pH to around 6.2 - 6.5 before I plant then I'm ok. Right?

I am trying to save a few bucks by doing this. Is it worth the effort or should I just go with a premixed soil?
What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Hi how's your day? So for me I buy soil with it already in it...but then I also mix in my own extra perlite and coco. I like a 1/3 ratio perlite/coco to soil mix as it allows great water flow.

Hiya
If it's mainly coco/perlite it's effectively a hydro grow pH 5.8-6.3
Bunging in pH 7.0 soil may cause an issue
As I understand it, pH of feed/water does not change the pH of the soil
I have pH up and pH down solution so I will make sure to drop it down a little.
Thanks

I am trying to save a few bucks by doing this. Is it worth the effort or should I just go with a premixed soil?
What do you guys think?
You brought up "garden soil" in the title of the thread and then you mention"soil laying around the house". Is this soil something you bought at a store or is it "garden soil" from your outdoor garden?

As to "saving a few bucks" by doing this mixing then yes, there are some savings. But there is also a very good chance that if the wrong soil is used then it will cost more to fix the 'grow' in a couple of weeks.

The basics of a traditional "supersoil" are 1/3 pure Peat Moss, 1/3 pure Perlite and 1/3 pure compost or mineral soil. As others have already mentioned once the mix includes coco coir and not peat moss it is starting to borderline on being a hydroponic style mix and not a "soil mix".

Just something to think about.

You brought up "garden soil" in the title of the thread and then you mention"soil laying around the house". Is this soil something you bought at a store or is it "garden soil" from your outdoor garden?

As to "saving a few bucks" by doing this mixing then yes, there are some savings. But there is also a very good chance that if the wrong soil is used then it will cost more to fix the 'grow' in a couple of weeks.

The basics of a traditional "supersoil" are 1/3 pure Peat Moss, 1/3 pure Perlite and 1/3 pure compost or mineral soil. As others have already mentioned once the mix includes coco coir and not peat moss it is starting to borderline on being a hydroponic style mix and not a "soil mix".

Just something to think about.
What would the wrong soil be?

Ditto on The Wings…

Pay me now / pay me later sitch…. save money short term but you‘ll have to nute it for the duration.

you have basic potting soil but proposing to cut it with inert coco and inert perlite, it will drain fast fo sho but it’s 2/3‘s inert so where’s the beef? I get it - the beef is in the bottle… chelated salts…

ever heard of Geoflora organic dry mix…. they are site sponsor and it’s popular, easy to use and featured in a lot of journals showing really good results…

Ditto on The Wings…

Pay me now / pay me later sitch…. save money short term but you‘ll have to nute it for the duration.

you have basic potting soil but proposing to cut it with inert coco and inert perlite, it will drain fast fo sho but it’s 2/3‘s inert so where’s the beef? I get it - the beef is in the bottle… chelated salts…

ever heard of Geoflora organic dry mix…. they are site sponsor and it’s popular, easy to use and featured in a lot of journals showing really good results…
I haven't heard of that, I'll def check it out. Thanks

What would the wrong soil be?
The "wrong soil" is the one that is not working as it was intended. It is usually wrong because it has the wrong ingredients.

Im not trying to make supersoil I wanted to keep it pretty neutral. Then I could add my nutrients.
It sounds like you are trying to come up with a hydroponic medium and not a traditional or natural soil mix.

Back
Top Bottom