Soil Mixture

POTential

Hey guys:rollit: toke it up!

A few questions, I have at my disposal potting soil, peat moss and perlite.

- what's the difference between perlite and vermiculite?

- what would be the optimal mixture of the three listed above? I'm thinking like 60% soil, 25% peat moss and 15% perlite.

- is it worth buying vermiculite instead of using the perlite? (depending on their differences)

1. Perlite is exfoliated volcanic glass and is used as a soil amendment for added drainage properties. Vermiculite is an exfoliated mineral and is used as a soil amendment for added water retention properties. The proper balance gives you a soil that both holds water close to the roots while also allowing for good drainage of excess water and flushing of waste salts.

2. This should get you started...

10-20% Perlite: for added drainage and soil aeration. Use closer to 20% for flowering mixes.

10-15% Vermiculite: For added water retention properties.

10-30% Worm Castings: for nitrogen, added micronutrients and aeration.

1-2% Dolomite lime: Dolomite lime is used to combat this natural lowering of the pH due to the natural breakdown of the peat.

2-4% Kelp meal and/or Guano: For additional macro/micornutrients.

3. Now that you know the difference, it is apparent that both are required for an optimal mixture.

I usually start with Pro-Mix Bx Seed and Clone and build my mix from there. I then put in worm castings, kelp meal/guano as well as additional perlite. This particular soil already contains peat as the base, vermiculite, and the necessary ratio of dolomite lime. I like to keep things simple.

Great advice RooR! it is much appreciated. I just got a decent place to store extra soil and nutrients so by the next grow I'll have everything I need.

Is it better to start out using grow cubes and how long befor you can let them grow befor letting them take root on there own. Or is all preperation to the soil what makes
the plant grow strong.
thanks fellow stoner

Back
Top Bottom