Soil ph problem

sullymonster

hi - i am using biobizz allmix ( 6.6ph ) in 11 litre pots and am having trouble with one of the ladies. just started the beginning of week 3 veg.

i tested the run off last saturday (6th) and it was 6.7ph ( nute solution 6.4ph )
didn't need watering / feed all week
on sun(14th) i feed her plain water ph to 6.0 which gave a run off 6.9ph
i decided to flush her today (15th) with around 14l of plain water ph to 5.7/5.8 and the run off still measured 6.9ph!!

am i doing something wrong here as it will not drop ???

First of all is the plant in the soil showing any type of problems or stress as a ph of 6.9 while not exactly optimal during veg but not horrible will be just fine during flower as phosphorous is more easily absorbed at ph higher then 6.5. But if the soil has a normal ph of 6.6 most companys like promix for instance list the properties with a degree of error of +or- .2 so unless your plants are dying or have some other type of problem dont stress.

In my opinion testing runoff ph is a waste of time and worry, especially with those small gains. I understand you are trying to balance ph in the soil but you will always have a ph gain with the run off water. I agree with Cateros, check other symptoms the plant may be showing. What is the trouble you are having with the one plant? Can you provide a clear pic?
Hope all goes well and good luck with the rest of your grow!

In my opinion testing runoff ph is a waste of time and worry, especially with those small gains. I understand you are trying to balance ph in the soil but you will always have a ph gain with the run off water. I agree with Cateros, check other symptoms the plant may be showing. What is the trouble you are having with the one plant? Can you provide a clear pic?
Hope all goes well and good luck with the rest of your grow!

I am not 100% positive on this but as we all know dolomitic lime will neutralize acidity in the soil and raise ph to 6.5 but either I have been very lucky but it seems that the dolomite not only neutralizes acid but also doesnt seem to allow alkaliity to rise either , But the main issue though is does you plant have any problems that are noticeable or is your only concern the fact that your ph wasntwhere you expected it

thanks for the replies and input - much appreciated
it turns out that my ph pen was broken as it was readings were way off. i purchased a new ph pen and flushed all of the plants till the run off was reading 6.6pH....this was around a week and a half ago. unfortunately the plants looked better for around a few days and now look like they are getting worse.

On monday (29th) i fed the plants a nut sol 6.5ph (biogrow / voodoo juice ) with an EC 1.1 ...............all the plants run off read 6.6pH.
here are some pics i took today of the worst plant, the others suffer the same problems in varying degrees.

not really sure what to do next ?? i wanted to go 12/12 on saturday as they have been in veg for 5 weeks, but are they to unhealthy to make the switch ?? i also wanted to take cuttings to create a mother but in this state is this wise ?? do i remove the affected yellowing leaves ??

the last 4 pictures show stages from the bottom of the plant upwards, it seems it is progressing upwards......lower leaves patched and yellowing and dying........middle patched......signs showing on new growth

the strain is seedism applejack, grown in 11l allmix - i did not mix any dolomite lime into my soil ( will do next time!! )

what is the best way to measure the actual soil pH if measuring run off is not accurate ??

rsz_to-2.jpg

rsz_photo-2.jpg

rsz_photo-7.jpg

rsz_photo2.jpg

rsz_pho-2.jpg

rsz_phot-2.jpg

thanks fellas :peacetwo:

yarddog - i thought it to be a Phosphorus def. as the spots are the same but had read that leaves go a dark grey whereas mine are going yellow. i thought the spots where a sign a pH fluctuation.

today i removed all the affected leaves and new growth looks better ( last 3 sets of new leaves not affected.......yet )

will go 12/12 tomorrow and take a few cuttings

well i am curious to know about this as ph w/ mine are 6.6 in soil w/ run off of 5.0. anyone know what that is about or is it not to be stressing about as long as soil ph is good

well i am curious to know about this as ph w/ mine are 6.6 in soil w/ run off of 5.0. anyone know what that is about or is it not to be stressing about as long as soil ph is good

The run off is very hard to be exact with due to the fact salts and build ups of spent nutrients which are acidic will work there way to the bottom of your pots is one possibility the other is your soil ph was acidic at the start and you are constantly battling against the originial acidity of your soil if your really worried just top dress about 1 tsp of well ground garden lime per gallon of soil work it inabout 2 to 3 inches down that should help any residual acidity build up to be neutralized.

willie23, I have the same exact problem! Do you also have an accual soil ph tester? I have been checking my runoff with the same results, but have no real tester. I am thinking of buying one but just sprung for a new lamp. I am ready to add some topcoat like Cateros has stated. I have also been adding water at a higher ph to balance a little but did not help as much as I would of liked.
Cateros, not to question your info, but are you sure this is safe, because some guy at the hydro store said that it could be dangerous to the plant. Although, it would not be the first time he gave shitty info.......

willie23, I have the same exact problem! Do you also have an accual soil ph tester? I have been checking my runoff with the same results, but have no real tester. I am thinking of buying one but just sprung for a new lamp. I am ready to add some topcoat like Cateros has stated. I have also been adding water at a higher ph to balance a little but did not help as much as I would of liked.
Cateros, not to question your info, but are you sure this is safe, because some guy at the hydro store said that it could be dangerous to the plant. Although, it would not be the first time he gave shitty info.......

The hydro guy is right it can cause problems especially if your plants are in flower so I should be a little more specific only top dress if besides a low ph run off you see signs of other ph problems like nutrient deficencies etc

Back
Top Bottom