Soil question

Ghostwriter31

I was helping pick up sticks and root balls from small trees on my property in GA when I discovered my soil was very rich looking as well as black. There’s been 40 years of leave build up etc and falling trees from tornadoes that just rotted back into soil etc . Anyhow I’m in process of building a house there and go back once a month .
Is mountain soil sufficient enough to grow cannabis all the way to finish line ? My guess is yes it’s prime but thought I’d ask
Heres an example of the trees on property. But anywhere there’s a tree cut and pushed over where there’s a massive root ball, there’s black soil underneath. Lots of it too .

AA8362B6-56B9-436F-A73F-9E871BE70961.png

I wish I would have taken a picture of actual soil but I didn’t, this is just a picture of the property itself

Yeah I realize this is a bad spot , I grow indoors . I had a hair brain idea to just use this soil because it looked so rich . I’ll take penny wise suggestion amd test it and if it’s good bag some up and bring Home with me

Here's your website for a soil test kit in GA.

link

Soil Testing in Georgia - SRWQIS

You soil likely will need some of the following for cannabis or a veggie garden for that matter:

Aeration = pumice/perlite/rice hulls
Calcium source - Oyster shell flour and crustacean meal
Kelp meal

You Leaf Mold you have there is some of the best compost. Also around the fallen trees you can wildcraft some earth worm castings add that to your soil mix.

We did a garden this year with basically leaf mold from the forest and some extra hardwood ashes we burned some wood we cleared a patch for in the woods and general clean up. The ashes are a good supply of lots of goodies. Pot-ash!

Garden was stellar we've only been here less that a year

I was helping pick up sticks and root balls from small trees on my property in GA when I discovered my soil was very rich looking as well as black. There’s been 40 years of leave build up etc and falling trees from tornadoes that just rotted back into soil etc . Anyhow I’m in process of building a house there and go back once a month .
Is mountain soil sufficient enough to grow cannabis all the way to finish line ? My guess is yes it’s prime but thought I’d ask
Heres an example of the trees on property. But anywhere there’s a tree cut and pushed over where there’s a massive root ball, there’s black soil underneath. Lots of it too .

AA8362B6-56B9-436F-A73F-9E871BE70961.png
I going to GA tomorrow for a 3 day trip to check on my property and the site work
I’m gonna bag up some of that rich black soil amd bring it back home with me and get back to what I do , that’s growing some fire ass weed . Finally after 90 days of waiting I’m finally in my new . home and about ready to put up the ole 4by4 and put seeds in soil . I keep getting timeline pictures from last year and can hardly wait . I was going into flower about this time last year

14AA4653-9657-4A2D-9D9C-2DC79677D2B9.jpeg

B8BAD775-3CD9-4293-B868-284FC68893AD.jpeg

Cannabis will and does grow in every condition suitable for growth of plants do you have poison ivy or oak do you have critters nosy neighbors that is really what you need to think about that soil looks fine and so does the spot.
Again I’m not growing on my property though I could. I’m surrounded by National Forrest on 2 sides and the nearest neighbors are half mile down road . 7 acres in the mountains . Cannabis growers dream IMO but not gonna grow shit in GA. I’m gonna haul some back after I soil test it and use with some fox farms I bought. Honestly I don’t need this soil it just looked really really good
Now when I finally move to GA in four years amd seeds finally legal , hell yes it’s on and popping

That soil you are speaking of is probably incredibly rich in humus and could potentially be a great base.
Thanks for input , that’s what I’ve been looking for not some of the smart ass answers such as bean420. I don’t have much patience for that crap but I guess some folks are just that way . Anyhow , I’m gonna take a few of recommendations and put them to work

Cannabis wants calcium. Something the soil from the forest will be lacking. All you need to do is add some:
Crustacean meal
Oyster shell flour
Gypsum powder
Mix in some aeration
and some peat moss.

Oh and congrats on the new home and good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom