Soil Testers - How to pick the right one

So my question is exactly that, how to choose the right tester. I'm very new at this and have spent the last few days reading journals, posts and whatever else I felt would help in my grow. I've read many posts where people have been using testers for weeks before noticing it was an incorrect reading, specifically pH levels.
The tester I use is probably a cheap one but how would I know?
Soil Tester 3-in-1 [Updated Version] xrime Soil PH meter
full

What is the best way to tell if your meter is calibrated correctly? I'm assuming there are certain items, such as a lemon, that have a set pH level to compare against. It would be nice to see some models that people have had great success with and didn't break the bank while doing so. My plants are in the early stages of their life cycle and I would like to make sure they get everything they need. They are my babies after all.

What you have is a soil tester and, unless you have some soil that you know the PH of you can use to test accuracy, I don't believe there's a way to test or calibrate since that type of meter is only used for soil and cannot measure PH of liquids.

Most of the growers will have a PH Pen. Popular brands include BlueLab, Hannah, Oakton, etc The one I have (Hanna 98130) also measures EC, TDS & water temperature and has a replaceable probe. These are used to measure the PH (and EC, etc.) of liquids. The pens use a "calibration solution" that has a known PH you use to calibrate.

With soil, you would test the PH of the nutrient solution, then feed the plants enough to get some good run-off. Then, you test the PH of the run-off solution. The difference between the two measurements tells you what your soil is doing to the nutrients (either raising or lowering the PH), and from there, you can either adjust the nutrient solution or the soil PH to get the proper PH at run-off.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

K

Thanks Krip, but does that advice apply to soil grows outdoors? In otherwords, I don't get a run off of water. I can only test the soil with that meter but like you said I have no idea what the soil level is to compare my readings against. Right now I comfortably sit between 6-7, but could be 6.1, 6.5, or whatever.

Thanks Krip, but does that advice apply to soil grows outdoors? In otherwords, I don't get a run off of water. I can only test the soil with that meter but like you said I have no idea what the soil level is to compare my readings against. Right now I comfortably sit between 6-7, but could be 6.1, 6.5, or whatever.

There was a great chart I saved that compared water levels, ec and pH levels, basically if water level falls and the other two remain static then I have a good soil condition. Maybe I don't understand what water run off is in soil outdoors.

OK, sorry. I didn't realize your plants were in-ground. There are a couple of ways to test your ground soil. Some garden centers will actually test your soil for you for free - just bring them a sample.

To do it with one of the PH pens I referenced, you would dig a hole (best to test multiple locations) and fill it with water, let it sit for about a minute, then take the reading.

Alternatively, there are soil test kits available where you put a soil sample in a test tube, add a solution, mix, then match the color on the chart. Let me know if you need me to point you to something!

:Namaste:

K

if you need a PH meter, check out GrowBosses MegaMeter, $79

comes calibrated, 3-1, PH-PPM-Temp

You dont need to be as cautious with them as far as putting into a solution to keep wet or dry or whatever they call for with the cheap test pens.

Im getting one when i stop into Vegas here pretty soon.

Actually this is the route I will search out...thanks Krip! :reading420magazine:

No worries, Brother! If it helps, I just did a quick search on the "Jungle" shopping site. Search for:

Luster Leaf 1612 Rapitest pH Soil Tester

Something like that should work for you.

No worries, Brother! If it helps, I just did a quick search on the "Jungle" shopping site. Search for:

Luster Leaf 1612 Rapitest pH Soil Tester

Something like that should work for you.

Looks like we went the same route. I just went a model up. Price is 10 bux more but that's OK..thanks again.

if you need a PH meter, check out GrowBosses MegaMeter, $79

comes calibrated, 3-1, PH-PPM-Temp

You dont need to be as cautious with them as far as putting into a solution to keep wet or dry or whatever they call for with the cheap test pens.

Im getting one when i stop into Vegas here pretty soon.

Thanks man...I already have a soil tester for pH but have no idea how accurate it is. Since I'm testing soil, and not solutions, I needed to know the soil condition. The path Krip led me on was what I needed. I can then compare my readings to the actual soil condition.

OK here's what I came up with...Soil Tester
looks like it will do the job, has good reviews and is Amazon Choice! Unless you know of something off hand from the sponsors here I'll probably go with this one.

Looks like we went the same route. I just went a model up. Price is 10 bux more but that's OK..thanks again.

That is a better kit because, in addition to PH, it will test your N, P & K levels so you can adjust fert's, if needed. :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom