Soil

Strat1left

420 Member
Has anyone ever heard of 420Mixasoil, I cannot make my own soil cause of apartment restraints. I got this soil and it seems to work pretty well, just wanted a little advice.

$25 for 1.5 cubic feet? I'd hope it's capable of growing cannabis. It ought to come with cannabis.

Wait, which product did you get, I just noticed that there are several. And one is OH MY GOD, WtF?!? $80 f*cking dollars for .75 cubic foot of soil? And I see lots of perlite in it already in the picture, LMFAO. Around here, I get perlite in 4 cubic foot bags for like $26.

Man... When I get tired of being poor, I think I'll see if "worldsbestcannabissoil.com" is still available. I'll bet they'd be lining up to get bent over a chair buy the World's Best Cannabis Soil™ (NOTE: Product name not to be taken as any guarantee of product fitness.)

Why not do what I did the one time I lived in an apartment, lol? Grow cannabis in DWC reservoirs. Water isn't real suspicious - and most places have it available on-site. . . .

How much are the nutrients for the DWC for a grow season, I am using only water. Seems like that kind of balances out the overall cost.

I'm sorry, I managed to miss this thread. I can't figure out how to get the forum software to display a list of subscribed threads with UNREAD messages, so I've got a 117-page list of mixed read & unread ones to deal with.

How much are the nutrients for the DWC for a grow season, I am using only water. Seems like that kind of balances out the overall cost.

Well, I'd suggest a digital pH meter, but you can get passable ones for under $25 if you shop around. I had decent luck with a Milwaukee pH600 once upon a time.

As for cost of nutrients... <SIGH> I keep telling myself to stop mentioning General Hydroponics products, since the Scotts Miracle-Gro monster bought that company (along with several others that are familiar to cannabis growers). But GH sells a couple dry nutrient products, MaxiGro and MaxiBloom. I've seen the 2.2 pound bags sell for $14.95 each. That'll grow a LOT more than $30 worth of cannabis, lol. If you're running with tap water then you might have an adequate amount of available calcium in your water supply. If so, you could supplement with some Epsom salt for the magnesium in it - cheap at any drug store or grocery store.

Dry nutrients can be slightly more of a PitA to use, because it's a really good idea to dissolve them into a little hot water before adding to the actual amount of water you're planning on using. GH also has a two-part liquid product that's best to mix in this manner (it's more like a syrup, lol).

A lot of people have used just the MaxiBloom (plus Epsom Salt) - or the FloraBloom (liquid) component from GH's three-part Flora series (again, with added magnesium) from seed to harvest. It's not really a practice I'd recommend - but it does work, for the most part... for most strains. See:
Lucas Formula - Bloom nutes
Does Lucas formula make sense? Ever tried it?
...and lots of other threads at this and pretty much every other cannabis-related Internet forum known to man, lol.

Another inexpensive (IIRC) nutrient that people use is the (J.R. Peters) Jack's Classic line of (dry) water-soluble products. There are several choices there, which allows one to tailor one's recipe if required for a strain that's got "particular needs." You just don't see a lot of people raving about it any more. But the reason for this is, most likely, because they don't spend $$$($$$$$!) every year on cannabis-friendly advertising. Or much of any advertising, lol. They also don't regularly come up with new "Well, sure, we told you LAST time that our product line was already complete and The Best Thing for Cannabis, Ever. But we really, really mean it... this time" products every time you turn around. (Err... A couple of somewhat less than subtle digs at whatchamacallit, the nutrient company started by a couple of ex(???)-marketing flacks. Advanced Nutrients. ;) ) I guess, because they don't need to. What worked great for growing cannabis years ago... still does. Here are some threads in which Jack's nutrients are at least mentioned (a web search for Jack's Classic cannabis will produce lots more information, but I'm pressed for time):
Jack's Classic
Jack's Classic vs. FloraNova
Inexpensive nutes for first grow
Low Watts - High Yield - Let's Smash the 1 GPW Benchmark Together
Preparing for first grow and looking for any tips

I don't think that Scotts Miracle-Gro has bought Jack's Classic('s company) yet, although I could be mistaken. They've certainly bought a BIG chunk of the cannabis industry:
  • 1993 - Grace-Sierra Horticultural Products Company (Osmocote, among others - and this company may have been the parent company of J.R. Peters, come to think of it. I'm not sure.)
  • 1997 - Levington Horticulture Ltd (A UK company, compost, manure, grow bags, et cetera.)
  • 1998 - EarthGro, Inc. (BtW, also acquired 80% share in Sanford Scientific, Inc. - a plant breeding company. And they also entered into a relationship with Monsanto in 1998.)
  • 2015 - Bought General Hydroponics and Vermicorp Organics, formed "Hawthorne Gardening Company" subsidiary in order to fool the stoners into thinking they don't now own these two entities.
  • 2016 - Bought Gavita Horticultural Lighting and American Agritech (Botanicare) under their Hawthorne division.
  • 2017 - Bought Can-Filters, the Canadian carbon filter and fan manufacturer - again, under their Hawthorne division.
I've probably missed some other cannabis-related businesses that they've gobbled up - and there are a lot more general plant/etc. companies they now own.

Anyway, enough ranting. Since I mentioned the product (I think?), here's a huge thread about Osmocote Plus:
Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

And the websites for Jack's Classic and MaxiSeries nutrient products:
Code:
https://www.jrpeters.com/who-are-you/home-gardeners/products.html
https://generalhydroponics.com/maxiseries/

Hope this helps. Good luck with your grow!

Back
Top Bottom