SoilGirl's Organic In & Out Journal 2015

All the Aloe-only clones are showing roots now!

Cheese - got transplanted outdoors today, sometimes I let them root longer but it'll be fine.

0813151632-1.jpg

White Widow

0813151632a-1.jpg

Ultrasour (bagseed) - just showing through! :rollit:

0813151629-1.jpg

All the ones that got Root It in the back row are still waiting to show... but still look healthy at least. The Root It has worked for me before, I'm pretty surprised that none have rooted in that yet.. well, Aloe is awesome for cloning - my conclusion. :) another reason to keep them around. Hope you will give cloning with it a shot some time! :Namaste:

0813151636-1.jpg

Excellent report on rooting clones with aloe. Your garden is lovely, as always. :love: I'm glad to hear the fireman finds you charming too. Smart man. :laughtwo:

Thanks so much Sue! :love: ;)

OK Rado! I'm starting to get this cloning thing down finally, glad to share. Uhm, the light is a small 32w agrosun compact fluorescent bulb with clamp reflector, I've also used an incandescent that worked well. I sit it on top of the dome and move it to a corner, about to fall off lol. This is because I noticed when it sits directly above the cuts before they've rooted, the leaves tend to yellow and die more quickly. They don't need much of the light while they aren't rooted, the CFL is almost more important as an incubator hahah. It generates heat for the dome and kickstarts the whole evaporation process that brings humidity up. I keep 1 (sometimes both) little tab(s) on top of the dome open all the time so that it isn't just totally stuffy, and :rofl: call me crazy but I've developed a little stoner ritual after I check on them in the cloner; I like to take a big breath and fill the dome up with CO2 before I close the cabinet its in - is it having a positive effect? idk, but things are going well and I'm going to keep doing it for good luck. Cloner stoner, hahaha. hope that helps. :lot-o-toke: :circle-of-love:

Thanks so much Sue! :love: ;)

OK Rado! I'm starting to get this cloning thing down finally, glad to share. Uhm, the light is a small 32w agrosun compact fluorescent bulb with clamp reflector, I've also used an incandescent that worked well. I sit it on top of the dome and move it to a corner, about to fall off lol. This is because I noticed when it sits directly above the cuts before they've rooted, the leaves tend to yellow and die more quickly. They don't need much of the light while they aren't rooted, the CFL is almost more important as an incubator hahah. It generates heat for the dome and kickstarts the whole evaporation process that brings humidity up. I keep 1 (sometimes both) little tab(s) on top of the dome open all the time so that it isn't just totally stuffy, and :rofl: call me crazy but I've developed a little stoner ritual after I check on them in the cloner; I like to take a big breath and fill the dome up with CO2 before I close the cabinet its in - is it having a positive effect? idk, but things are going well and I'm going to keep doing it for good luck. Cloner stoner, hahaha. hope that helps. :lot-o-toke: :circle-of-love:

Many thanks.

Your tray look almost dry in the photos. What do you do for watering / misting?

"Cloner stoner". Good one. :rofl:

hahaha Rado, for this batch I actually set a towel under one side of the tray (the side the clones are on) to raise it up so it would pool to the other side. I keep like a cm or 2 of water pooled on the other side. CO Finest has said its really important to keep the rockwool cubes/rooter plugs from sitting right in the water during rooting, they retain alot as is. For the first week of cloning I actually just let the cubes go through all that water they retain. Then I start swishing the water back and forth or using a little squirt bottle (like lots of restaurants use to make ketchup easier to squirt on hotdogs, etc) to wet the bottoms of one or 2 individuals without wetting the whole tray. Until first roots show its best not to flood the media. Once there are roots they're searching out moisture and in my experience aren't easy to overwater, I've had mine just sitting in it once rooted and they've gone crazy. :love:

Thanks for asking Rado :) I'm glad you brought your curiosity with you, I probably should've shared all those little bits of info already to help newbie cloners. I try to get everything in but sometimes I skip a few things. :Namaste:

Ms. Girl great to see you back
I have taken a little sebaticle myself. I wish my outdoors was in that CO sun!
I haven't had time to go through the whole journal but I will.
I have gone all organic also, nothing but water after the transplant. I am interested in the bubbling teas but as of now I have onto given these girls one dose of corn seed.
Subbed in for the ride.
I have also had sideways pics the last few times

Hi grimm! glad you're joining in! Hope you are coming back from the sebaticle a bit refreshed as I did :) no worries if you don't have time to catch up through the whole journal, but if you do I hope it helps out! My organic journey goes on and on. ;) I sorted out the sideways pics hehe, but am still working on my photography.

Awesome that you tried out a corn SST! :love: You don't gotta do those all the time like I was for a while, but every couple weeks or monthly would probably be a nice addition to your waterings for cheap.

The bubbling teas are fricken cool though I gotta say :) I have fun giving my plants my little concoctions. Right now I've got 2 5 gal brewers going, 1 with some boogie brew + my vermicompost + BSM + kelp meal, 1 with just my vermicompost and a tsp of BSM, a pinch of SPM and some Photosynthesis Plus Microbe Life and a tbsp of buildasoil's craft nutrient mix. Different ingredients = different microbes right? thats my thoughts. Anyways I have an indoor update to do while I can keep my eyes open. :love:

Indoor Update 8-17

Starting with the clones, these 2 shots are from yesterday, when I transplanted that well rooted White Widow cutting.

0816151202d-1.jpg
0816151157a-1.jpg

Now today, there's finally some roots coming from one of the Root It cuttings, the Ultrasour one.

0817152356-1.jpg

Cool - now both the Ultra's are rooting. :grinjoint:

0817152357a-1.jpg

The other 2 will hopefully pop roots in the next couple days, they still aren't looking too bad in there (this is now 18-going on 19 days in the cloner)

0817152358-1.jpg

Now to the 5x5!

0817152324-1.jpg

Super Silver is still going pretty slowly, but it'll gain some momentum soon I'm sure. One top is trying to take over the other still. I think its not particularly enjoying the strong light from the Mars II, and is still taking to the top and transplant.

0817152326-1.jpg

White Master Kush is starting a growth spurt, dunno why its so happy compared to Super Silver (who sprouted within the same 24 hrs) - but I'll take it. :love: all 4 tops from the FIM are doing well, and the leaves are starting to regain their vigor. I've been letting these pots all dry out a bit in there while they're in early veg, to make the roots search out water, and make life harder for gnats who are just joining the party. 4-5 days between waterings.

0817152327b-1.jpg
0817152329-1.jpg

Ultrasour was a bit slow, kinda on the same page as SS. The FIM eventually took, but too late for the 2 inner nodes to become tops, you can see them between the 2 main tops. Maybe they'll become something someday though, not gonna remove them. Hopefully the growth spurts soon.

0817152330-1.jpg
0817152332b-1.jpg

Euphoria recovered a few days ahead of the others, and I started some LST'ing. This should be a beautiful plant, the lower nodes will all become something worthwhile if things go well.

0817152336-1.jpg
0817152337-1.jpg

I've been trimming the top cover about once a week, and I've noticed mycelium (fungi) going crazy on the bits I've spread around in there on the soils, especially in Euphoria's and Super Silver's pots. It grows all over new living mulch trimmings and eats them up in a few days. This is definitely living soil, I'm still liking this Kellogg's LOS mix of mine though the transplants had a slow start in it. :Namaste: The Soil Food Web is at work.

0817152340-1.jpg
0817152340c-1.jpg
0817152342-1.jpg

:ciao::circle-of-love:

Bonus points for the shots of decomposition in action. Great update Baby. Get some sleep. I'm right behind you. Just need to droll over Graytail's latest update and dream first. :laughtwo:

On my frappuccino break and thought I would stop by to show some love :circle-of-love:, Outstanding growing like always. Love to check the inside and outside grows out. I wish you the best talk soon. :passitleft:

Dang I forgot to add in that update... the 2 auto beans... didn't make it. I think I packed those little cups too tightly with soil and they damped off...rookie mistake. :wood: ...its ok though, I have 2 more, and I don't really need any more plants at the moment anyway with all the clones coming.. disappointing but I'll move on. :passitleft: I'll try a different starter method when we get to more beans. I'm really excited for that 32 Pusher CO gave me, the buds turned out so sweet and fruity.. :love:

Bonus points for the shots of decomposition in action. Great update Baby. Get some sleep. I'm right behind you. Just need to droll over Graytail's latest update and dream first. :laughtwo:
Hahaha glad you liked those Sue! :) I was just over at Gray's for a sec, geesh he's got some great plants huh? Hope you got some good rest as I did. :Namaste:
:cheer:Thanks for the updation, SoilGirl.:cheer:
Hi Sara, you're very welcome! :love:
On my frappuccino break and thought I would stop by to show some love :circle-of-love:, Outstanding growing like always. Love to check the inside and outside grows out. I wish you the best talk soon. :passitleft:
Aw thanks CO, hahaha gotta get that frappuccino in regularly huh? (CO's frapp-stash was the one thing off limits for party guests, strictly for CO consumption :laughtwo: - there's your getting to know CO segment anyone else reading along ;))

I'm pretty bummed that I damped off those 2 autos you shared. Sorry you can't watch those this time around. :straightface: I'll definitely do some Crop King and probably a 32 Pusher or 2 in a couple months though :) I Really liked that 32, in the vaporizer its just beautiful.

Thanks for the love CO! ttyl! :love:

I'm BAck and things look great around here. Nice to see you have been making a regular visits here unlike me who has been obvious by his absence. I hope all is well in your life.

I'm BAck and things look great around here. Nice to see you have been making a regular visits here unlike me who has been obvious by his absence. I hope all is well in your life.
Hi there SBG! Welcome back :) You sure have some beastly beauties on your deck. Wow. Hope you're also refreshed by your absence and will be back more often. :Namaste:
Congrats on your success cloning with Aloe. No need to go buy gels or powders, just break it off the plant! Couldn't be easier. Looking good SG.
Thanks 36G :) I'm really glad to learn about Aloe for cloning. What a great plant to have around, good for you and other plants of yours too! :love:

Outdoor Update 8-19!

Lots of pics lol. Gonna only do a bit of commentary and let them speak more for themselves this time.

partial family photos: (these 2 are just missing the new clones and Blue Blood)

0819151424-1.jpg
0819151424b-1.jpg

Diesel (reveg mother)

0819151443-1.jpg
0819151445-1.jpg

Diesel Clones

0819151501b-1.jpg
0819151502b-1.jpg
0819151502-1.jpg
0819151503-1.jpg

Cheese

0819151447-1.jpg
0819151449a-1.jpg

Cheese Clone - just moved outside into a big ~10-12 gal square pot with a little top cover and 2 nice 'lil tomatoes for company haha. :circle-of-love:

0819151436-1.jpg
0819151436a-1.jpg

Euphoria

0819151452-1.jpg
0819151454a-1.jpg

OG Kush (PR) - still struggling along, some pest issues... I kinda want to chop it down and use the soil for a new clone... but I also want to see if it can come back and produce anything worthwhile...

0819151457-1.jpg
0819151457b-1.jpg

Jamaican OG (mother) - pretty wispy long bud formation so far, but starting to bulk out a bit, I wonder how long it will take to finish. At least its getting over the recent stresses.

0819151500-1.jpg
0819151501-1.jpg
0819151501a-1.jpg

Jamaican OG Clones - their flowering is starting to look more evenly paced now, but at first it was kinda weird.

0819151459-1.jpg
0819151547-1.jpg

0819151543-1.jpg
0819151545-1.jpg

White Widow (mother)

0819151530-1.jpg
0819151531a-1.jpg

White Widow Clone - just moved into that old 1.5 gal cabdriver pot, the same one that killed my Dinafem White Widow earlier in the journal with root rot! :thedoubletake: I thought that was fitting. More holes have been drilled in the bottom, now we're gonna see my WW redemption run in here - assuming she doesn't die of root rot in a week or so. :19 I saw some mealybugs on the clone already >.< they were on the clover in there and started moving in. Bad start haha. Cross your fingers for her and I lol, I hope I didn't give this nice clone a death sentence for the sake of potential redemption. :Namaste:

0819151434b-1.jpg

Ultrasour (bagseed)

0819151534-1.jpg
0819151536-1.jpg
0819151540-1.jpg

Blue Blood - still looking pretty crappy, I'm kinda disappointed, probably just gonna make these buds into edibles or oils. Oh well. :\

0819151439-1.jpg
0819151440-1.jpg

African Buzz

0819151548a-1.jpg

Fool's Gold

0819151549-1.jpg

African Buzz and Fool's Gold next to each other - they were the seedlings that started and moved outside together, but AB got topped, FG didn't... AB is a quick grower outside given some good sun, they're growing even despite the topping. Cool. :hippy:

0819151548-1.jpg

Ok that's today's pictorial hahah :thanks:

Oooo the African Buzz is a beauty. They sure do love being under the sun. You amaze me. It's like a full time job. :laughtwo:

Those are some perky looking leaves yah got growin there SG.
Aren't they SBG? My favorite leaves in the world :)
Oooo the African Buzz is a beauty. They sure do love being under the sun. You amaze me. It's like a full time job. :laughtwo:
Hahaha it definitely can keep you busy Sue :Namaste: I love that AB out there, its still shooting upwards, now its probably passing that Fool's Gold. I might take a couple clones of it. :love:

Everything looks very happy!
Your JOG mom looks like she might get heavy.:slide:
I have to ask about the living mulch. It is very interesting to me but I've never gotten any information firsthand.

Hi grimm! Well for no-tills, one of the main purposes of living mulch is always keeping myco-active roots alive in your soil for beneficial fungi to attach to. If I were to chop a cannabis plant of mine in no-till LOS without any living mulch/cover crops growing in there, all the roots would die and then your mycorrhizae wouldn't have anything to attach to, so they would too...and it takes a long time in good conditions for them to expand and thrive.

One of our goals is making sure our soils are full of good microbes including mycorrhizal fungi all the time, so once we harvest, we can add another cannabis plant right into the old spot (removing only the immediate rootball, disturbing the no-till as little as possible) and have it introduced to a healthy soil food web from the get go. Many no-tillers get better and better results as time goes on, we speculate because of the diversity of vibrant microbial life working with the roots of their crops that can only be achieved over a long time in the right conditions.

Beyond that, cover crops and the beneficial micro-life they support help maintain the porosity of your soil (airflow and water retention), they break up hardpan soil, they fix N into the soil and keep it at steady levels, different cover crops can help contribute to breaking down/making available trace minerals and other nutrients, they up organic matter to feed the SFW, they help suppress weeds, soil diseases and pests... They do a lot. Here's a little informational link if you'd like to delve further. :love:

Cover Crop Guide

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom